• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Damaging Wind potential around 6Z Wed 12/28

Mikehobbyst

Incrdible wind potential with a high wind warning event possible for LI and coastal SE CT. Looks like A SHORT DURATION wind damage event as SSE winds dramatically increase from 20-25 mph with gusts to 30 mph around 7:00 to 40-55 mph with gusts to 60-65 mph from around midnight to 2 AM Wed morning. Wednesday morning looks like WNW winds at 30-40 with gusts to 55 mph till about 2PM with rapid diminishing by evening. I would think that 80-90 knot 925 to 850 mb winds is a red flag for wind damage. This is finally our October and November damaging CFRB event that will be the start of a dramatic pattern change over the next 2-3 weeks. I think this is the first sign of that change beginning. It means better phasing is starting to happen and the northern stream is starting to show more life and less interference with all that persisting SE ridge making everything too weak. We're going to be shoveling soon and it could surprise us in about 10-14 days of becoming a viable pattern too for something large.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Incrdible wind potential with a high wind warning event possible for LI and coastal SE CT. Looks like A SHORT DURATION wind damage event as SSE winds dramatically increase from 20-25 mph with gusts to 30 mph around 7:00 to 40-55 mph with gusts to 60-65 mph from around midnight to 2 AM Wed morning. Wednesday morning looks like WNW winds at 30-40 with gusts to 55 mph till about 2PM with rapid diminishing by evening. I would think that 80-90 knot 925 to 850 mb winds is a red flag for wind damage. This is finally our October and November damaging CFRB event that will be the start of a dramatic pattern change over the next 2-3 weeks. I think this is the first sign of that change beginning. It means better phasing is starting to happen and the northern stream is starting to show more life and less interference with all that persisting SE ridge making everything too weak. We're going to be shoveling soon and it could surprise us in about 10-14 days of becoming a viable pattern too for something large.

Awesome write up, I'm following this wind event as well

Gusts up to 55 mph on Wednesday is a bit too high in my opinion, I'd go with 40 mph gusts in general, but the short time frame on Tuesday night when the LLJ moves through is when the potential for the strongest winds exists. These events can surprise, just as 12/8 did, but gusts near or over 50 mph, especially in Long Island, are very possible on Tuesday night along with heavy rain and some thunderstorms, with a slightly lower gust potential in NYC (I'd say about 40-50 mph?). The timing could also be shifted earlier, as the models are showing the storm ending earlier than most forecasts as typically seems to happen, with the rain already ending in NYC on the NAM by 10 PM/3z.

Awesome write up! I agree that things are going to change for the better throughout january. but to what extent and if it will indeed produce something large for the northeast as far as a snowstorm is yet to be seen. Recently we've been seeing some glimmers of hope on the global models hinting at a more "favorable" pattern developing but were gonna have to be patient and see what transpires. I want to see some snow this year but with the hole were in as far as the current pattern we need a fairly signifigant change.

ECMWF is coming in with a LLJ not quite as strong and displaced slightly to the southeast, so this is not a total lock just yet. That said, I think gusts 45-50 mph will probably widespread enough to merit a wind advisory for Long Island and maybe NYC/coastal CT. Rumbles of thunder look like a good bet too with the strong ascent and moist adiabatic lapse rates aloft. If the NAM stronger LLJ verifies I'd expect heavier rain bands to drag down the higher momentum, with a few SVR's thrown in for good measure.

you can see the low level jet nicely on the 00z nam. 900mb winds are in excess of 70kts just off the coast. forecasting soundings show the potential for 30-40kt winds at 10m. i would think we should see gusts over 40mph at times in some locations, but it remains to be seen just how widespread this event will be. that is a very dynamic shortwave for sure.

f24.gif

The NAM still has 30+kt winds at 10m. I would think the best potential, as bluewave argued, would be east of the city and maybe along the immediate New Jersey coast. The low level jet definitely is barely offshore this time around -- and the convection that is forecast to develop could mix down some of the strong winds just off the deck.

It will be interesting to see the development of the area of heavy rain that the SPC WRF was forecasting at 12z -- which it has oriented from NW to SE in a line, pretty much on the nose of the best forcing. Convection could be a wild card in any wind gusts as well (As usual).

Is there supposed to be anything behind this line? Because it's so far looking like a rather disorganized line of moderate-heavy rain already moving through by 7 PM. It's probably going to get windier in the evening, but I'm not so sure that wind gusts end up over 50 mph with this one unless more convection forms.

post-1753-0-03574300-1325021022.gif

I think most of the models cut the precip off after 7 or 8pm.

Is there supposed to be anything behind this line? Because it's so far looking like a rather disorganized line of moderate-heavy rain already moving through by 7 PM. It's probably going to get windier in the evening, but I'm not so sure that wind gusts end up over 50 mph with this one unless more convection forms.

Archived