Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 24th - March 26th White Potential Discussion/OBS

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah.. the 12z GFS makes the 1st wave dominant, taking the h5 entity torwards the lake, pumping the SE ridge and warm air even up to the poconos/central PA. There's soo many systems, i'm confused as to which one falls within the date!! ( i guess thats 12/22)..

hr 96 has a weak wave approx central VA tracking to the DElmarva and off shore (1020mb low?).. precip gets into philly and NYC metro, but the 850's during the height of the storm are roughly allentown to NYC. (ps, as im writing this, the NCEP SITE is really getting under my skin..)Nice HP placement to the north though, about as good as you'll ever see one..1035mb.. but surface 0 line is riding the PA/NY border..

then 117-129 has precip over the mid atl, no surface reflection till about 132 (xmas morning) 1016mb LP, precip and freezzing line back towards central PA and NY.. cold rain for us..

then 160-180 is, the 1012mb low 100-200 miles offshore of hatteras.. plenty cold air from the previous system, but the BZ is too far offshore.

Just breaking down the run, not a forecast. thats a lot to track. we'll say 3 waves.? I believe the euro only had 2 last night. So we'll have to see where the EURO goes with this today.

It's not only imperative that we have a cold High in place (duh), but also that it's in the right place. A High centered over Maine or Newfoundland will bring easterly flow in at the surface, and with the ocean still sitting at 50F or above, that spells trouble for everyone east of the fall line.

Notice on last night's Euro we start out with a good (dare I say classic?) High placement...

00zeuro850mbTSLPUS120.gif

But then, since we don't have any blocking, it slides on east, and we get into ENE flow at 144...

00zeuro850mbTSLPUS144.gif

until the surface Low tightens up at 150 and drives the winds back around to the NE (off the land rather than the ocean for most people).

post-1820-0-66806600-1324316750.jpg

In that respect it's a definite thread-the-needle.

I'm sure you can tell I'm not too excited, but given the teleconnectors (+NAO, +AO, a +PNA whose ridge axis is not ideal) I'm really not excited about this one.

It's not only imperative that we have a cold High in place (duh), but also that it's in the right place. A High centered over Maine or Newfoundland will bring easterly flow in at the surface, and with the ocean still sitting at 50F or above, that spells trouble for everyone east of the fall line.

Notice on last night's Euro we start out with a good (dare I say classic?) High placement...

But then, since we don't have any blocking, it slides on east, and we get into ENE flow at 144.until the surface Low tightens up at 150 and drives the winds back around to the NE (off the land rather than the ocean for most people).

post-1820-0-66806600-1324316750.jpg

In that respect it's a definite thread-the-needle.

I'm sure you can tell I'm not too excited, but given the teleconnectors (+NAO, +AO, a +PNA whose ridge axis is not ideal) I'm really not excited about this one.

what i love is that you have a 1037 high in a good spot, and their is no cold air to be found lolz

These multiple wave type "events" are the ones most likely to deliver in this pattern. If I were a betting man...I would bet on a White Christmas for many folks N and West of I476 and North of 76 (turnpike) in PA. I think JBs map from a couple days ago with his 1" line and N and W will be pretty close (give or take 50 miles....me thinks it will be somewhat NW of my backyard...Tom's?). No doubt models will struggle with this one right up till T-24 but heck at least we have something of interest for those of the winter wx persuasion. It really is funny how folks in the I95 corridor have lost perspective on what normal is.....as snow before Christmas is not commonplace.

These multiple wave type "events" are the ones most likely to deliver in this pattern. If I were a betting man...I would bet on a White Christmas for many folks N and West of I476 and North of 76 (turnpike) in PA. I think JBs map from a couple days ago with his 1" line and N and W will be pretty close (give or take 50 miles....me thinks it will be somewhat NW of my backyard...Tom's?). No doubt models will struggle with this one right up till T-24 but heck at least we have something of interest for those of the winter wx persuasion. It really is funny how folks in the I95 corridor have lost perspective on what normal is.....as snow before Christmas is not commonplace.

Great post. I can remember 1987 when we did not see a big storm until late January and it turned out to be a great winter snow wise. These past few years have really spoiled us.

While I would love to see some snow for Christmas (or at least a real chance at some point in December), I would rather have the pattern be more conducive in Jan/Feb than December or March. Just simple climo. Not sure if we'll actually get a pattern flip this winter but if if we do I'm glad it'll come mid-Jan to Feb instead of late fall.

While I would love to see some snow for Christmas (or at least a real chance at some point in December), I would rather have the pattern be more conducive in Jan/Feb than December or March. Just simple climo. Not sure if we'll actually get a pattern flip this winter but if if we do I'm glad it'll come mid-Jan to Feb instead of late fall.

+1

I don't think these EC snow maps work very well. They were way overdone for that event a couple weeks ago... the one where the EC maps had snow all the way down to I-95 and it only traced way up in Allentown.

True...they nailed Snowtober though. :whistle:

(I tend to agree that it'll be more wet than white with Christmas low but I was just trollin' ya...)

FYI...at this point the Wxsim has snow on Christmas morning becoming briefly moderate by 9am and ending by 11am with just a little more then 1" accumulating as my kids are opening their presents

Yeah, based on the way things look......those well NW of Philly, especially over 500 feet have atleast a chance for some excitement at this point.

Archived