joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
OK / AR / KS / MO Winter 2013-2014

okie333

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a crappy system overall. Rates are crappy, and overall this storm system was a disappointment. Busted snow forecasts for many from pretty much all the surrounding NWS offices. I feel bad for KC, which busted the worst since they had 6+ in the forecast and ended up with 4-5" max and that's being generous. Much of their area received under 1". 

I think I'll end up with probably 3" of sleet/snow here. If this band sticks around a little longer, maybe 4".

Winding down here now. Had some good sized flakes and decent rates. Looks like (from eyeballing) that we'll have 4-5" of sleet and snow total in Joplin.

Bella Vista in far NW Arkansas reported 4" with more falling. Looks like Tulsa had 2-4"

Wow jomo weren't you guys supposed to get more up there, sorry man? I bet we got close to 3" of crappy sleet here and around 2.5" of snow from looking outside. It was an ok storm but it was mostly really light crap for the whole 24 hours of it, if it wasnt for those thunderstorms it would have been just another waste of cold air lol. The snow here was fairly light, started out moderate but then went right over to light snow until around 2am. Of course the crazy wind whipped it all around so who knows how much we got for sure.

I have never seen so much sleet in my life though I will say that! Im sick of seeing sleet lol, that seems to be the primary thing we got here all winter.

Wow jomo weren't you guys supposed to get more up there, sorry man? I bet we got close to 3" of crappy sleet here and around 2.5" of snow from looking outside. It was an ok storm but it was mostly really light crap for the whole 24 hours of it, if it wasnt for those thunderstorms it would have been just another waste of cold air lol. The snow here was fairly light, started out moderate but then went right over to light snow until around 2am. Of course the crazy wind whipped it all around so who knows how much we got for sure.

I have never seen so much sleet in my life though I will say that! Im sick of seeing sleet lol, that seems to be the primary thing we got here all winter.

I have never been a fan of sleet, but yesterday's event was amazing enough that, for one day, I didn't mind it at all.  I am sure you got similar (and probably more extreme), but, here in OKC, we saw HOURS of heavy sleet with regular lightning flashes and rumbles of thunder (and even occasinal hail mixing in with the sleet) all with temperatures hovering in the low teens!  It was just incredible to experience. 

It was a crazy 24 hours all around.  We started with light freezing rain as temperatures dropped through the 20s and into the teens overnight Saturday.  It got so cold, so fast that, by all accounts, the roads pretty much flash froze all over the OKC metro around midnight, and there was a rash of accidents that pretty much blocked every main thoroughfare in the city for several hours overnight.  Eventually it got so cold that the freezing rain turned over to snow (with the dendrites apparently forming in the boundary layer due to the extreme cold... I didn't even know that was possible. lol.).  Then, of course, came the sleet assault during the day yesterday and we even managed to close it out with a couple of hours of moderate snow last night.  We ended up with about an inch of sleet with, perhaps, 1" to 2" of snow on top of that so the low accumulations were a disappointment, but, the rest.... well, at least for one day... I thoroughly enjoyed it.  :snowman:        

NJ_Ken, The thunder and lightning was awesome! That was the second time I have witnessed first hand thunder and lightning in a winter storm, though this time it was more extreme! The only other time I seen both was back in 2007 when I lived in missouri during a really bad freezing rain storm.

This was an ok storm, really drawn out which I like but just wish we had gotten a tad bit more of the snow. My old hometown of south jersey isnt getting it as bad as they thought it would be there either, still says 5-8" for cumberland county though. My mom said its been mostly light snow so far but wasnt sure how much they have. Has been a very late winter back there!

The roads are horrible here, just a solid 3" compacted sheet of ice from people driving on the sleet and road departments not doing anything at all to side roads as usual. Even the highways here are just really bad bad. I just dont think they are use to this in arkansas, doesnt really bother us as I grew up on the east coast and seen tons of mega noreasters as a teen. Those were the days man!

I don't think Kansas or Missouri is done with wintry weather yet. Probably western OK isn't done yet either. We'll have to see how things play out but it's possible northern AR and OK isn't done either.

JB put out his early forecast for "Spring". He used analog years: 1982, 1996 and 2013. March is -2 to -4 below normal on temps. April is 0 to -2 below normal (eastern trough).... and May is around normalish. He is predicting a 'normal' tornado season. 

Wouldn't it be something if we go through this again the last week of march into first weekend of April? 5 first Sundays in a row would be insane. My sisters tree in her yard (2 miles up the road) was blown to pieces by cloud to ground lightening yesterday. It was insane! Totals here I would guess at 3 inches of sleet with 1.5 inches of snow. Drifting was bad here with the 25 mile an hour winds.

NWS and local mets are now hinting at a decent chance for a bit of winter weather for tomorrow in Central OK.  I think the models finally caught up to the amount of snow/sleetcover we have and, as a result, high temps have been adjusted way down for the mid-week period.  It might just be enough for us to see some wet snowflakes tomorrow.  I haven't had a chance to look at the models so I am speaking blind here, but I would presume these chances would shift east and/or northeast for later tomorrow/tomorrow night.     

NWS and local mets are now hinting at a decent chance for a bit of winter weather for tomorrow in Central OK.  I think the models finally caught up to the amount of snow/sleetcover we have and, as a result, high temps have been adjusted way down for the mid-week period.  It might just be enough for us to see some wet snowflakes tomorrow.  I haven't had a chance to look at the models so I am speaking blind here, but I would presume these chances would shift east and/or northeast for later tomorrow/tomorrow night.     

They are still talking about the possibility of a slushy inch or two in these parts.  I know it is not much, but, given the calendar, it might be our last chance to see some flakes so I am going to be tracking it (and crossing my fingers).   

7th coldest winter on record for Joplin. Snowfall is 5.25" above average.

The amazing thing is the breadth of locations across the nation that have been well below average in temperature and well above average snow.  I know we are a few inches above average in snow here in OKC (and, for a place that only averages 8", that is actually quite a bit above), and temperatures have been way below.  Meanwhile, my old home in NJ (the closest reporting station is actually Philadelphia), which is something on the order of 1,400 miles away has had (to date) its third snowiest winter ever (and is just a few inches below number 2 all time) and, while I don't know the numbers off hand, they were way, way below average in temperature.  

They are still talking about the possibility of a slushy inch or two in these parts.  I know it is not much, but, given the calendar, it might be our last chance to see some flakes so I am going to be tracking it (and crossing my fingers).   

I am surprised that nobody has posted about last night's weather.  Yeah, it was a very minor thing, but it actually got interesting for a while in these parts.  Alas, in the end, too much precipitation was wasted during the changeover process.  I started raining here yesterday afternoon at around 4:30 pm with temps in the upper 40s.  By 6 pm, temperatures had dropped to the high 30s and I noticed flakes mixing in.  Unfortunately, instead of a quick changeover, we had heavy mixed precip for an hour or more as temperatures dropped into the lower 30s, sometimes mostly rain and sometimes mostly snow but never accumulating.  Finally, around 7 or so, it went over to all snow and it came down moderate to heavy for about an hour.  A bit of slush was just starting to accumulate on the streets when it stopped.  My car had a solid inch on it and grassy surfaces probably had a half-inch.  If that changeover had just happened quicker, we could have had two or more hours of fairly heavy snow, which could easily have resulted in several inches (before immediately melting in today's sun and warmth. lol.) 

I am surprised that nobody has posted about last night's weather.  Yeah, it was a very minor thing, but it actually got interesting for a while in these parts.  Alas, in the end, too much precipitation was wasted during the changeover process.  I started raining here yesterday afternoon at around 4:30 pm with temps in the upper 40s.  By 6 pm, temperatures had dropped to the high 30s and I noticed flakes mixing in.  Unfortunately, instead of a quick changeover, we had heavy mixed precip for an hour or more as temperatures dropped into the lower 30s, sometimes mostly rain and sometimes mostly snow but never accumulating.  Finally, around 7 or so, it went over to all snow and it came down moderate to heavy for about an hour.  A bit of slush was just starting to accumulate on the streets when it stopped.  My car had a solid inch on it and grassy surfaces probably had a half-inch.  If that changeover had just happened quicker, we could have had two or more hours of fairly heavy snow, which could easily have resulted in several inches (before immediately melting in today's sun and warmth. lol.) 

It ended just short of changing over here in Norman, sadly, though I did see plenty of mPING reports of snow as far south as southern OKC last night. 

The most interesting thing about last night's precip here was that it's the first time I've seen moderate rain falling with puddles outside since early November. Every instance of measurable precip since the Thanksgiving week event has been mixed/freezing/frozen, I believe. Which is much more a testament to the resurgence of drought (for the fourth consecutive year) than this being a blockbuster winter, at least for C OK.

The most interesting thing about last night's precip here was that it's the first time I've seen moderate rain falling with puddles outside since early November. Every instance of measurable precip since the Thanksgiving week event has been mixed/freezing/frozen, I believe. Which is much more a testament to the resurgence of drought (for the fourth consecutive year) than this being a blockbuster winter, at least for C OK.

Sam and I actually had the exact same thought that we voiced to each other. I guess the lack of a real soaking rain hadn't been on my mind much (though it should, looking at the drought monitor and Mesonet stats...) because we'd been getting occasional frozen precip, but it was the first time I was splashing through puddles in the poorly-draining streets of Norman in months. 

JB released the summer forecast. 3-2-1 weighted..... 2009 x 3, 1957 x 2, 2002

Gives a slightly cooler than normal summer with near normal down near OKC. Precip amounts are above normal. This all depends on El Nino developing though.

Beautiful day out there today. Looks like a chance of some snow in some areas tonight behind the cold front, shouldn't amount to much of anything though.

After tonight, I think we'll be mostly done with the snow though. There still might be chances in northern MO or northern KS, as well as western OK panhandle and maybe western KS if we get a cold enough storm at some point but for the most part, winter appears to be over.

It was a good winter this year, lots of snow and ice. It won't top 2002-2003 for me though since there were bigger storms but for an all-around cold and wintry winter, this winter will be hard to beat. We'll have to see if an El-Nino develops and the warm pool of water hangs around the NE Pacific for next winter. 

The CFS V2 thinks so, but it's many months away and will change of course.

cfsanomnov.png

For those that are new, this thread really slows down in the 'warm' months and severe weather events are covered by individual threads in the main central/western forum:

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/forum/14-centralwestern-states/

Well guys its my last winter in Monett.  Glad I got to see a good snowy one before moving.  I'm relocating with my job to Fayetteville/Springdale so not too far away.  So I'll be in your vicinity Whiteout.  Am looking forward to my move but know I'll probably sacrifice a little snow in the process lol.  Now lets bring on those spring t-storms!  Oh and go Hogs!

Sorry to see you move. It was nice having a fellow Monettian on the board. :) I like the NW Arkansas area myself, but will stay in MO because of retirement. You all will be filling up the thread with all this Fayetteville talk. :) Glad you got to see your son graduate from here first though!!!

Sorry to see you move. It was nice having a fellow Monettian on the board. :) I like the NW Arkansas area myself, but will stay in MO because of retirement. You all will be filling up the thread with all this Fayetteville talk. :) Glad you got to see your son graduate from here first though!!!

Yes its good he gets to graduate here that was one of the things we were waiting on. Its been a good ride here in an awesome little town. We will miss it for sure.

Archived