• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
OK / AR / KS / MO Winter 2013-2014

okie333

Any other year we'd be getting excited about the snowstorm the GFS would be showing here... but this year, the cold just isn't around... yet.

The crappy thing that will probably happen is we will get the cold, but then we won't have any storm systems, then as the storm systems pick up, the cold will retreat. That seems about right.

Yea this is my guess right now also as to what will happen. This could turn into the most boring winter season ever lol. I know one thing this is the warmest january I have ever seen in my life so far! Totally crazy, my weatherstation says just shy of 63 out there!!! Hell I even have a few windows open in the house today lol

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The models are flip-flopping like crazy.

The 12z Euro has went back to more of a western trough, eastern ridge type of idea vs the 12z GFS which has an eastern trough, western ridge type of idea. This is kind of funny since last nights 00z runs, the GFS had the western trough, eastern ridge idea while the Euro had the western ridge, eastern trough.

I like the western trough idea since that gives us our best shot of seeing snow.

This is 240 on the 12z Euro, you can see the coldest of the air is in the west and central US:

usatmp850mb240h.gif

This is the 240 on the 12z GFS..... yeah they don't look very much alike.

usatmp850mb240.gif

Both the models look to start breaking down the Alaskan vortex around day 7-8, which is good news for everyone in the US.

Models of course struggle with low level arctic air, and the human forecaster can add lots of skill and value. Sometimes one needs to speed up even the fastest model at 24-36 hours, esp if weak over-running. From 48-60 hours simply go with the fastest model, not being too cute yet. The following is quite valid out to about 48-60 hours:

Looking at the models this far out, all I would feel comfortable forecasting is arctic air towards the middle to end of the month. Remember, large, dense arctic highs originating in NW Canada/Alaska tend to slide very easily down the lee of the Rockies, outpacing forecast model's predictions of the surge of cold air. I would tend to hedge towards the battle zone setting up shop further south then you see in the model surface depictions 1-2 weeks out, especially if we get a massive arctic high in Alaska or the NW Territories of Canada. Just my two cents.

It is also true that strong highs 1040-1050 should eventually slide south. However past Day 5 one does not necessary take the faster model or speed up any of them. Too many drivers are still in place other than just the cold dense air. A wave could develop up-stream and slow even an arctic front. The main trough could go somewhere other than the model shows. Heck, the blocking might fail in the first place. Past Day 5 pattern recognition can help the human add skill and value. Now once again within 36-60 hours, usually 48, the models start to converge on the main pattern drivers. At that point, one can focus on speeding up the low level arctic front. Hope this helps. Y'all have a great thread in a good sub-form!

Well I retract my statement and wish for cold in the winter! Now everything should turn around, right?

I think the construction workers over in the tornado zone really like the warmer weather as well. They are getting a lot done since it's been warmer.

Funny, lets just get through this boring one first. Or how bout we all move to alaska haha

yep, I'm saying I'm looking at next winter since this one looks to be a dud. I'd be happy to get an inch of snow, lol

The Hawgs won the Cotton Bowl.

Ugly looking GFS tonite. No winter for the next 2 weeks if it is correct.

Yeah, the Alaska vortex disappears for few days then comes back and that's all she wrote.

The ensembles may save us though as the Ensemble mean keeps the ridging up there but it isn't as strong as previous runs. The cold air stays around but it looks like the trough would be oriented over the east and we'd be on the western side of it with NW flow possible which isn't good for getting snow in this area.

nhgpa500mb324v.gif

We had a brief 5 mins of snowflakes back in November wasn't it?

I been writing it down and keeping track. Up here it snowed on december 6th 2am onwords, was just off and on snow showers and we got a dusting. December 22nd we had a quick 5 minute snow shower at night, december 23rd we had morning snow flurries for a bit and on december 26th early in the morning we had a quick snowshower that gave us a small coating. Thats it for here so far

Yeah that defin wouldnt be the best setup for us here. We just cant seem to break this pattern. Kinda like in a cold winter its hard to get any sustained warm weather - just the opposite this year. Until I see it all the talk of coming cold is just that.

The cold does come, but doesn't stay long. It's more like shots of cold followed by warm ups. This is what the Euro Weeklies also show. The Euro will probably show a snowstorm tonight just to be spiteful, these models are evil.

On a side note its warm and snowless just about everywhere, my sister back home in south jersey said they had about a half inch so far and my friend in iowa has only had a few inches at best as well. Its just warm and boring everywhere it seems this season so far by what I'm hearing

Unless you live in west Texas or New Mexico, which have been cashing in, it's been pretty terrible for everywhere.

I think Joplinmet said the least snow we've had here in Joplin was 2.5" in 2005?

I mean, maybe something will change or we'll get one of those March snowstorms that last a day before it all melts off otherwise we are headed to break that.

The snowcover in the US:

cursnow_usa.gif

Awful they are indeed. Looking for better things by tomorrow hopefully.

lol, I've been about as positive as I can be over the last few weeks, but it's like crack or something, there's always the next run that it might show something different!

Unless you live in west Texas or New Mexico, which have been cashing in, it's been pretty terrible for everywhere.

I think Joplinmet said the least snow we've had here in Joplin was 2.5" in 2005?

I mean, maybe something will change or we'll get one of those March snowstorms that last a day before it all melts off otherwise we are headed to break that.

Yep thats what his blog said 05. I guess things can change ya know, hell they do change on a dime out here anyways....Im trying to be positive but its kinda hard to do now lol

Oh that snowcover map you posted is just bad! Wow unreal

Archived