joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
OK / AR / KS / MO Winter 2013-2014

okie333

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Light to moderate wind driven snow here for the past hour or so. Not quite a dusting though. Wind is ferocious this morning.

Its nice to see for a change isn't it? Grass is just about covered here now, temp still dropping down to 32 now. I love snow but man you aren't kidding, that wind is nuts! I'll just sit and watch it inside for now lol

Picked up almost 4” of snowfall here in my part of Kansas City. Winds are out of the North at 34 and gusting to 46. Highest gust so far has been 49 that occurred at 3:56 AM. White out conditions and of course wrecks everywhere. Also approximately 36,000 customers without power in the metro area at this hour. Back edge of the snow looks to be moving into the area within the hour.

Discouraging for sure but way too early to write this one off. HPC still favoring a snow track from NW OK across KS and MO into OH Valley next week. The way the models have been on the last few systems we may have it where we want it right now.

Yeah by the time it gets done with the NW trend, it'll be in a good spot. ;)

Good synopsis from NWS Springfield on next week:

THE MODELS HAVE CONTINUED THE RUN TO RUN INCONSISTENCIES THOUGH

MODEL RUN TO MODEL RUN HAS BEEN SLIGHTLY BETTER FOR NEXT WEEK.

5-WAVE CHARTS ARE SHOWING CONTINUING DIFFICULTIES WITH THE PHASING

OF THE NORTHERN AND SOUTHERN JETS STREAMS WITH THE LATEST TREND

INDICATING THE POTENTIAL FOR CUTOFF ENERGY OVER THE PLAINS FOR THE

MIDDLE OF NEXT WEEK. AS A RESULT THE OPERATIONAL MODELS ARE HAVING

A HARD TIME WITH THE EVOLUTION OF THE STORM SYSTEM FOR NEXT WEEK.

Here is TSA's take:

FOR CHRISTMAS DAY AND THE MIDDLE PART OF NEXT WEEK...LATEST MODEL

SOLUTIONS ARE CONTINUING TO SHOW A WAVE MOVING OUT OF THE ROCKY

MOUNTAIN REGION AND INTO THE SOUTHERN PLAINS DURING THIS TIME

PERIOD. 12Z GFS/12Z ECMWF RUNS HAVE PUSHED THE BASE OF THE TROF AND

MOST OF THE PRECIP FURTHER SOUTH THAN EARLIER RUNS. WILL LEAVE

CHANCES OF RAIN CHANGING OVER TO SNOW CHRISTMAS DAY INTO WEDNESDAY

WITH A COLD AIRMASS MOVING INTO THE REGION TUESDAY NIGHT. DETAILS

OF THIS SYSTEM CONTINUE TO BE OF LOW CONFIDENCE WITH THE

CONTINUATION OF MODEL RUN INCONSISTENCIES...THOUGH

DETAILS/FORECASTER CONFIDENCE SHOULD IMPROVE AS DATA COMES IN.

Definitely hope the models begin to hone in on some sort of a solution by the weekend. Next week will be a busy travel time for many across the US.

Your feeling may be right. 00z Euro has a closed 500 MB low over SW Arkansas with a 998 low over SE Arkansas on Christmas evening. And the 850 MB low is over southern Arkansas. But it may not have a neg tilt yet.

JoMo,

Translate this for me into something I can understand. Like many, I'm a novice and although I think what you said is a good thing I'm not 100% sure. :santa:

JoMo,

Translate this for me into something I can understand. Like many, I'm a novice and although I think what you said is a good thing I'm not 100% sure. :santa:

Doesn't look like it's phased though. Basically has snow from SE OK into central and northern Arkansas into SE Missouri. NW Arkansas may get flurries.

Still, when you compare it to last nights run which had an open wave. It's a step in the right direction.

This is certainly looking better for most of N AR and E OK. For the rest of us we need a bit more latitude coming out of the S Plains which can be gained by earlier phasing, negative tilt and strengthening of this system. Probably some more NW correction to come on the models. I would hope a consensus is close by early this weekend. As of now my guess is all of N AR, N and E OK, and anywhere SE of I-44 in MO would be in pretty good shape.

Archived