• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
When will the pattern change to cold occur?

Isotherm

that block is useless if there's a black hole over alaska... winter is toast. remember how the vortex never died in 06/07?

I wouldn't deem it useless as the mean trough is in retrograde over the Gulf of Alaska. It would at least help us out in that synoptic pattern. We never had robust positive height anomalies near the Davis Straight in 06/07.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't deem it useless as the mean trough is in retrograde over the Gulf of Alaska. It would at least help us out in that synoptic pattern. We never had robust positive height anomalies near the Davis Straight in 06/07.

Agree. I think there were a handful of times last winter when we had a crappy Pacific but the -NAO held; it essentially kept temperatures in check in the Northeast, allowing us to hold onto our snowpack. Yes, it's more difficult to get large scale amplification with the +EPO, but I'd take my chances with a davis straits block any day of the week.

Looked that one up on Ray's site as I had no recollection whatsoever of a mid dec event in 2003. Sure enough, we only picked up 1" in CNJ. Most of the SW flow events in a poor pattern tend to produce for NW NJ and New England, screwing NYC southward.

that event was a major interior noreaster... not a swfe

and we got a foot plus a week before

those anomalies are in response to the huge vortex over alaska causing sw flow in canada... it's not really a block

those anomalies are in response to the huge vortex over alaska causing sw flow in canada... it's not really a block

It serves a purpose, whether it's a cut-off block or not. There'd still be a buckling off the pattern...wavelengths would still favor the possibility of a mean trough over the Central and/or Eastern 1/3 of the US. It would be transient, but it would still kill off the monster SE Ridge that was present earlier...when the big anomalies were over the West Coast of the US.

Agree. I think there were a handful of times last winter when we had a crappy Pacific but the -NAO held; it essentially kept temperatures in check in the Northeast, allowing us to hold onto our snowpack. Yes, it's more difficult to get large scale amplification with the +EPO, but I'd take my chances with a davis straits block any day of the week.

Well the problem with that is that last winter, every block was a cutoff monster over the Davis Straight and Central Canada. What we're seeing modeled isn't exactly that--but it's not terrible or east based, either. Somewhere in between, I guess.

We have a long way to go, as forky mentioned, with that monster trough over the GOA.

Am nobody, but I've lived here my whole life (57). And I can tell you one thing, you will never see a cold or snowy winter from DEC to March (non-stop), not in Jersey (NYC area).The only time I saw that kind of a winter was when I went to college near lake placid, New York. Winter starts in Oct and ends in May. Except for the Jan thaw. I love the cold and snow,but I tell you one thing you get tired of it. Never saw the sun much in Nov, Dec,,, until the lakes froze over.Jan was just plain cold. What am saying is, that around here it's not going to happen, it will always be up and down. warm/ cold, rain/ snow. If you want long cold winters move north or live up around 2000ft. Can it happen here,yes, but it's very rare. I look at this way,at least I can sleep without the a/c on

It serves a purpose, whether it's a cut-off block or not. There'd still be a buckling off the pattern...wavelengths would still favor the possibility of a mean trough over the Central and/or Eastern 1/3 of the US. It would be transient, but it would still kill off the monster SE Ridge that was present earlier...when the big anomalies were over the West Coast of the US.

The models before, were also showing this scenario happening this week. That "block" would essentially take over. And we know that's not going to happen now. So the issue here is how much you believe it or not.

Just for shiggles, here's a temp composite map of all Novembers preceding 40"+ winters in NYC since 1960.

Of the 12 years, 10 were warm. Only 1995 and 2002 had cold Novembers. So don't worry, a Nov torch in itself means little.

33z42mb.png

It would do us good to get some significant precipitation events in before the end of the month. Precipitation seems to be more important than temperature in November. Most of the driest Novembers did not feature snowy winters.

It would do us good to get some significant precipitation events in before the end of the month. Precipitation seems to be more important than temperature in November. Most of the driest Novembers did not feature snowy winters.

Agree...and most areas are sitting on less than a quarter inch this month...IMBY I have a trace for the month :axe:

And??? Models are projecting that we get to around normal by the end of the month.

As long as that is reality and we get to 3-4 inches by the end of the month then we're good-what if we underperform and we're at 1-2 inches for the month?

the last several events have grossly underperformed--upton had a washout for the area last week that verified as zero rain for most. (except far Eastern LI And CT)

As long as that is reality and we get to 3-4 inches by the end of the month then we're good-what if we underperform and we're at 1-2 inches for the month?

the last several events have grossly underperformed--upton had a washout for the area last week that verified as zero rain for most. (except far Eastern LI And CT)

Two inches I wouldn't be sure about. It's not that much below normal to really be top 20 or anything, as November is usually a fairly dry month to begin with. If we're at one inch, I would feel pretty confident in less snow than normal this upcoming winter.

It looks like a half to 3/4" thru Thursday then another dry stretch until when, the middle of next week? Anything beyond that is a crapshoot at this point...I could still us easily staying below 2" for the month just as we could finish wet and get closer to normal.

Looked that one up on Ray's site as I had no recollection whatsoever of a mid dec event in 2003. Sure enough, we only picked up 1" in CNJ. Most of the SW flow events in a poor pattern tend to produce for NW NJ and New England, screwing NYC southward.

6 Inches here in Queens from that mid December event; LGA reported around 5 inches of snow. Despite the fact that you're pretty close, these distances sometimes play a huge role (Feb 5th comes to mind...)

6 Inches here in Queens from that mid December event; LGA reported around 5 inches of snow. Despite the fact that you're pretty close, these distances sometimes play a huge role (Feb 5th comes to mind...)

Yeah, I think we got 5 or 6 inches as well. Changeover never really came, just ended as drizzle.

Yeah I remember it staying snow longer than forecasted so we picked up a few more inches before the changeover. But I don't really remember how much rain. There was another similar snow in January I believe. Basically west of the hudson it stayed all snow and east it was mostly rain but eventually changed over everywhere as colder air worked in. This was not one of the bigger snows that month but was a surprise of sorts. I know it was on the weekend.

edit: I looked it up and it was on 1/18/04, a couple days after the infamous 30 to 1 ratio clipper with temps in the single digits and teens.

The 1/11/91 storm was initially quite cold as we started in the low 20s and got up to 6" before it started to mix with sleet and eventually rain late at night. I don't think we had as much rain as expected so most of the snow was still there the next morning

I think so which made it harder to watch as it changed to rain...1/11/1991 was similar but it changed to rain while most of us were sleeping...

the storms that changed to rain near the end of the event usually had most of its accumulations on the ground at the end...The ones that had temperatures rise above freezing after it ended saw a fast melt down...There was a storm on 12/21-22/1962 with snowfall from 2pm until 1am that changed to rain and ended early the next morning...3-4" of snow became slush and most of it melted before freezing temperatures returned...12/21/1962 started out at 10 degrees but was around 30 at midnight...upper 30's the next day...

I've pretty much discussed all of this at length in this thread, but here's an article i wrote about the pattern moving forward the next 2 weeks. http://nymetrowx.blo...al-feature.html

John -- great post. Let's hope we're both correct about the mid December time frame. I find it very hard to believe Dec will be a front to end torch month given the analogs, models, and other indicators.

Archived