• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Weekly Arctic Sea Ice Contest

Prelim is -27k

There's a warm pool of SSTs in the Chukchi (Bering straight area) that's really been hurting us the last 5 days.. you can see the sharp cutoff of the ice refusing to advance into it. Also westerly winds in the area yesterday and today have been pushing ice back that had built up along the Alaskan side of the straight. That's probably the primary reason for the neg prelim today, along with abv average temps in the unfrozen part of baffin bay and the kara.

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Prelim is -27k

There's a warm pool of SSTs in the Chukchi (Bering straight area) that's really been hurting us the last 5 days.. you can see the sharp cutoff of the ice refusing to advance into it. Also westerly winds in the area yesterday and today have been pushing ice back that had built up along the Alaskan side of the straight. That's probably the primary reason for the neg prelim today, along with abv average temps in the unfrozen part of baffin bay and the kara.

Yeah thank heavens the cold air gets to the Kara and Barents tomorrow. All of the Kara should be frozen over by the week's end, so figure another 100k there or so. Also, the arctic outbreak hasn't hit Hudson Bay yet, an area I'll be interested in from Day 5-7 of the week.

. Also, the arctic outbreak hasn't hit Hudson Bay yet, an area I'll be interested in from Day 5-7 of the week.

I don't think Hudson's will freeze yet.. the SSTs are still too warm and the extreme cold is mostly west of the Bay. I could see some shore ice along the NW side which gets some of the extreme cold.

Damn, we might not even make it to 200k on the week. Wish I had gone lower.. the ridging over baffin bay and the bering straight looked bad but I didn't get to look at it closely so I hedged with climo and the fact that we already were pretty low. You would think eventually we will catch up to the pack, but this year and '06 are sort of in a league of their own.

Huge gains in the Barents and Kara as expected, no help from Baffin Bay, and the ice near the Bering straight is just getting hammered by the winds and warmth. Also nothing in the Foxe or Hudson Bay.. SSTs are too warm.

Damn, we might not even make it to 200k on the week. Wish I had gone lower.. the ridging over baffin bay and the bering straight looked bad but I didn't get to look at it closely so I hedged with climo and the fact that we already were pretty low. You would think eventually we will catch up to the pack, but this year and '06 are sort of in a league of their own.

Huge gains in the Barents and Kara as expected, no help from Baffin Bay, and the ice near the Bering straight is just getting hammered by the winds and warmth. Also nothing in the Foxe or Hudson Bay.. SSTs are too warm.

Yeah this week is seriously disappointing.

With major blocking present, huge gains in snow cover but not much in arctic sea ice.

A bit of a horserace to see whether the current month becomes or 2006 remains the lowest Nov recorded extent. A strong recovery will be needed to avoid a bottom 3 outcome at the spring peak.

OK, back to the CC forum...

Week 9 Scores:

skierinvermont 	46000
Normal		19000
winterwxluvr	-15000
ElTacoman	-44000
Consensus	-62000
frivolousz21	-64000
Nzucker		-69000
MallowTheCloud	-109000
Roger Smith  	-179000

Cumulative:

skierinvermont 	880000
Normal		811000
MN transplant	493000
ElTacoman	492000
Consensus	460000
Nzucker		454000
grcjrsc		366000
frivolousz21	319000
blazess556	71000
BethesdaBoy	64000
Organizing Low	49000
winterwxluvr	36000
Roger Smith  	-137000
Ytterbium       -171000
MallowTheCloud	-348000

Average Error (at least 3 weeks):

skierinvermont 	152222
Normal		159889
MN transplant	188375
ElTacoman	188500
Consensus	198889
Nzucker		199556
grcjrsc		204250
frivolousz21	214556
winterwxluvr	244000
Roger Smith  	265222
MallowTheCloud	288667

430k.. warm SSTs in the Bering straight will slow what would have been good growth there with some very cold temps and north winds early in the week. Baffin Bay/Fox Basin/ and Hudson's Bay all do very poorly because of warm SSTs and very warm air. The southern Kara should mostly finish freezing with some very cold air there. All in all it looks very poor to me for ice but I have a hard time going too low again because we are already so far below average. Bering Straight will be interesting to see what happens with the cold air and north winds but warm SSTs.

Archived