347 PM EST THU JAN 19 2012

MDZ001-OHZ039>041-048>050-057>059-068-069-PAZ020-021-029-031-

073>076-WVZ001>004-012-021>023-041-200315-

GARRETT-TUSCARAWAS-CARROLL-COLUMBIANA-COSHOCTON-HARRISON-

JEFFERSON OH-MUSKINGUM-GUERNSEY-BELMONT-NOBLE-MONROE-BEAVER-

ALLEGHENY-WASHINGTON-GREENE-WESTMORELAND-WESTMORELAND RIDGES-

FAYETTE-FAYETTE RIDGES-HANCOCK-BROOKE-OHIO-MARSHALL-WETZEL-MARION-

MONONGALIA-PRESTON-TUCKER-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...OAKLAND MD...GRANTSVILLE...

NEW PHILADELPHIA...DOVER...UHRICHSVILLE...CARROLLTON...

EAST LIVERPOOL...SALEM...COLUMBIANA...EAST PALESTINE...

WELLSVILLE...CALCUTTA...COSHOCTON...CADIZ...HOPEDALE...

STEUBENVILLE...ZANESVILLE...CAMBRIDGE...MARTINS FERRY...

ST. CLAIRSVILLE...BELLAIRE...BARNESVILLE...SHADYSIDE...

BRIDGEPORT...CALDWELL...WOODSFIELD...ALIQUIPPA...BEAVER FALLS...

AMBRIDGE...MONACA...BEAVER...PITTSBURGH METRO AREA...WASHINGTON...

CANONSBURG...DONORA...CALIFORNIA...CHARLEROI...MONONGAHELA...

MCMURRAY...WAYNESBURG...FAIRDALE...GREENSBURG...NEW KENSINGTON...

JEANNETTE...LATROBE...MONESSEN...LIGONIER...DONEGAL...

NEW FLORENCE...ACME...CHAMPION...UNIONTOWN...CONNELLSVILLE...

POINT MARION...NORMALVILLE...FARMINGTON...OHIOPYLE...

MARKLEYSBURG...TORONTO...WEIRTON...WHEELING...MOUNDSVILLE...

NEW MARTINSVILLE...FAIRMONT...MORGANTOWN...KINGWOOD...

TERRA ALTA...PARSONS...DAVIS...THOMAS

347 PM EST THU JAN 19 2012

...SNOW TO IMPACT THE EVENING COMMUTE...

LIGHT SNOW WILL CONTINUE TO SPREAD SOUTH AND EAST ACROSS THE

REGION THIS EVENING. AS A COLD FRONT SWINGS ACROSS THE UPPER OHIO

VALLEY. SNOW WILL CONTINUE THROUGH THE EVENING BEFORE TAPERING

OFF BETWEEN MIDNIGHT AND 200 AM EST. ACCUMULATIONS OF 1 TO 2

INCHES WILL BE POSSIBLE. THIS WILL RESULT IN SLICK CONDITIONS

DEVELOPING FOR THE EVENING COMMUTE...ESPECIALLY ON UNTREATED

ROADS. IN ADDITION, VISIBILITIES WILL DROP TO LESS THAN A MILE AT

TIMES. MOTORISTS ARE ENCOURAGED TO EXERCISE CAUTION AND TO ALLOW

FOR EXTRA TIME WHEN TRAVELING THIS EVENING.

I'm currently in McMurray and I'm just seeing some very light snow. I'm on the southern edge of it right now. You guys north of the city look like you're doing pretty well right now.

Yes, a solid 1/2 inch and still coming down. I just came back from a ride and all roads are snow covered, even the main roads down to Mcknight road. Didn't see one salt truck. I always wonder what they do on days like today. They were forecasting this snow for evening rush hour and now it is here and the roads are covered. Where are the trucks? Do they all of the sudden run to the salt pile to fill up at 5:00. Seriously, I don't get it.

Not to get ahead of ourselves, but I see the NWS posted Winter Storm watches for Friday Night into Saturday for the ridges and Central PA. I wonder if a WWA will get issued for the lowlands.

Plan on going out to measure during 1st intermission of the Pens game.

Looks like one more heavy band will move through before the backend of the precip gets here.

Back roads are atrocious...4 cars slid down my street in succession.....i think people forget that 2" falling in a few hours during rush hour is a dramatically different impact than 20 hours of scattered snowshowers

Just measured and shoveled 2.5 inches. Not bad for a 6 hour event.

I was out when that last line came through and the winds gusted pretty good and a lot of blowing snow. Not white-out conditions but visibility dropped to about .25 mile.

I don't know about everyone else but I like Clipper systems. They perform well here usually a nice 1-3, 2-4 and somtimes 3-5 inch events. You almost never have to worry about precipitation issues either.

I was surprised how bad the roads were.

I was out when that last line came through and the winds gusted pretty good and a lot of blowing snow. Not white-out conditions but visibility dropped to about .25 mile.

I don't know about everyone else but I like Clipper systems. They perform well here usually a nice 1-3, 2-4 and somtimes 3-5 inch events. You almost never have to worry about precipitation issues either.

Clippers are like strippers...

Fairly easy to come by - not tons of work in getting one.

Predictable, but exciting for a little while.

Very little bust potential.....ummm...well, you know what I mean

Ultimately however leave you wanting the real thing

Agree, and usually after a clipper you get a re-inforcing shot of cold air too so the snow sticks around for a couple days.

Roads are bad, I'm wondering if the strategy by road crews was to wait until the snow moved out to start cleaning the roads as I am just now starting to see Salt trucks go by.

Clippers are like strippers...

Fairly easy to come by - not tons of work in getting one.

Predictable, but exciting for a little while.

Very little bust potential.....ummm...well, you know what I mean

Ultimately however leave you wanting the real thing

:lmao: :lmao:

Love that analogy! But this winter, with our lowered expectations clippers might be as close to the real thing we get.

I still have to measure, and I'm going to wait a bit until the last of it gets through my area, but I can say just by looking at it that you guys up north definitely did a lot better than I did. I had trouble with this one early on when there was a big hole in the precip over my area. By the time it started to really get going here, you guys up north probably already had an inch or so. I'll add my official number a bit later.

I'm surprised to see the totals you guys are posting. I just went out and measured the accumulation on my white wooden picnic table, and I only got 1 1/2".

It seems like northern Allegheny and southern Butler and Armstrong did the best with this one. I was looking at the radar returns earlier and a lot of green just sat in those areas for a while as the system was moving through.

Well 00z NAM has come in colder for the event tomorrow night. Looks like some icing is a real threat taken verbatim as the 2m temps stay below freezing until almost the end of the event. I am still skeptical though as I mentioned previously, and would not be surprised to see something like this from last feb again: (by that I mean how SWPA has that tongue of warmth giving us all rain)

post-328-0-25169500-1327028080.jpg

Hopefully since this thing is weaker WAA should be minimal and maybe we can eek out more snow. Tomorrows 12z should be interesting.

It seems like northern Allegheny and southern Butler and Armstrong did the best with this one. I was looking at the radar returns earlier and a lot of green just sat in those areas for a while as the system was moving through.

Yes those greens were over me especially between 5 and 7 o'clock.

What does everyone think about tomorrow night and Sat. morning. The GFS keeps wanting to give us mostly snow and the NAM wants to give mostly ice and sleet. Will have to wait for the GFS to come out tonight but I am thinking we could be trending toward more snow.

Thoughts?

Well 00z NAM has come in colder for the event tomorrow night. Looks like some icing is a real threat taken verbatim as the 2m temps stay below freezing until almost the end of the event. I am still skeptical though as I mentioned previously, and would not be surprised to see something like this from last feb again: (by that I mean how SWPA has that tongue of warmth giving us all rain)

Hopefully since this thing is weaker WAA should be minimal and maybe we can eek out more snow. Tomorrows 12z should be interesting.

This is always a favorite of mine too.

If this thing isn't going to be all snow, which it most likely won't be, then I'd take that scenario with all the driving I have to do early Saturday morning. Never want ice, but I have a feeling the hours I'll be out it may be a problem. Just looking at that radar map, you can pretty much see where the low was sitting. It does look very similar to how this next event looks to be modeled in terms of track.

Had to go to Columbus for work this afternoon, so I missed out on the squall that hit our area this evening.

Although the north side of Columbus had some decent snow,and the roads were actually tricky all the way to about zanesville.

I could see what you folks your discussing about the heavier amounts being further north a bit. Driving north on 79, the difference between the Washington area and the coraopolis exit was pretty noticeable. That FROPA had more punch than I thought it would.

Already been mentioned above, but I'll post the full warning here anyway.......

Winter Storm Warning

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PITTSBURGH PA 208 AM EST FRI JAN 20 2012

OHZ039-040-048>050-057>059-PAZ021-029-031-073-075-WVZ001>004-201515-/O.NEW.KPBZ.WS.W.0002.120121T0000Z-120121T1800Z/TUSCARAWAS-CARROLL-COSHOCTON-HARRISON-JEFFERSON OH-MUSKINGUM-GUERNSEY-BELMONT-ALLEGHENY-WASHINGTON-GREENE-WESTMORELAND-FAYETTE-HANCOCK-BROOKE-OHIO-MARSHALL-INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...NEW PHILADELPHIA...DOVER... UHRICHSVILLE...CARROLLTON...COSHOCTON...CADIZ...HOPEDALE... STEUBENVILLE...ZANESVILLE...CAMBRIDGE...MARTINS FERRY... ST. CLAIRSVILLE...BELLAIRE...BARNESVILLE...SHADYSIDE... BRIDGEPORT...PITTSBURGH METRO AREA...WASHINGTON...CANONSBURG... DONORA...CALIFORNIA...CHARLEROI...MONONGAHELA...MCMURRAY... WAYNESBURG...FAIRDALE...GREENSBURG...NEW KENSINGTON...JEANNETTE... LATROBE...MONESSEN...UNIONTOWN...CONNELLSVILLE...POINT MARION... TORONTO...WEIRTON...WHEELING...MOUNDSVILLE 208 AM EST FRI JAN 20 2012

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 7 PM THIS EVENING TO 1 PM EST SATURDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN PITTSBURGH HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR A WINTRY MIX OF FREEZING RAIN...SLEET AND SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 7 PM THIS EVENING TO 1 PM EST SATURDAY.

* LOCATIONS...COUNTIES ALONG THE INTERSTATE 70 CORRIDOR.

* HAZARD TYPES...FREEZING RAIN...SLEET...AND SNOW.

* ACCUMULATIONS...A QUARTER INCH OF ICE AND 1 TO 4 INCHES OF SNOW.

* TIMING...TONIGHT AND SATURDAY MORNING.

* IMPACTS...EXTREMELY HAZARDOUS TRAVEL CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED DUE TO ICE ACCUMULATION COMBINED WITH SLEET AND SNOW. HEAVY ICE ACCUMULATION CAN DOWN TREE LIMBS AND POWER LINES.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER STORM WARNING MEANS THAT SNOW...SLEET...OR ICE WILL MAKE TRAVEL HAZARDOUS OR IMPOSSIBLE. REPORT SNOW OR ICE ACCUMULATION TO THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BY CALLING TOLL FREE...1-877-633-6772.

If this thing isn't going to be all snow, which it most likely won't be, then I'd take that scenario with all the driving I have to do early Saturday morning. Never want ice, but I have a feeling the hours I'll be out it may be a problem. Just looking at that radar map, you can pretty much see where the low was sitting. It does look very similar to how this next event looks to be modeled in terms of track.

I'm with you on this one. Usually I am indifferent to ice but I've got to drive my wife down to Magee Hosptial tomorrow morning for 7:00am. That will probably be the worst period. Untreated surfaces will definitly be cold enough to support ice. Hopefulyl road crews will have the main roads pre-treated so ice build up won't be a huge problem on road ways. Any other day I'd just accept it and hope to get some time off work!

Archived