joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pittsburgh/Western Pa Weather

north pgh

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's the updated forecast for my area. Really backed off on the snow totals now.

Overnight: Snow showers likely. Cloudy, with a low around 18. Breezy, with a west wind around 22 mph, with gusts as high as 34 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. Total nighttime snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.

Friday: Snow showers, mainly before 2pm. High near 23. Breezy, with a west wind between 21 and 24 mph, with gusts as high as 38 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.

I'm still getting light snow and there's another band just south of Allegheny County that'll give us a little more. I think the wind is going to be the biggest story with this particular system along with the icy conditions.

I agree.

Winds are really starting to howl and I am down to 28.

NWS just downgraded snow totals in discussion but they think it will pick up more this am.

FXUS61 KPBZ 130549 AAB

AFDPBZ

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION...UPDATED

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PITTSBURGH PA

1249 AM EST FRI JAN 13 2012

.SYNOPSIS...

-- Changed Discussion --

A LARGE UPPER LEVEL SYSTEM WILL BRING COLD TEMPERATURES, GUSTY

WINDS AND SNOW SHOWERS INTO SATURDAY. AN SLOW MODERATION IN

TEMPERATURES WILL BEGIN BY THE END OF THE WEEKEND.

-- End Changed Discussion --

&&

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH TODAY/...

-- Changed Discussion --

COLD FRONT HAS JUST ABOUT CROSSED THE ENTIRE AREA. MOST LOCATIONS

HAVE CHANGED TO SNOW, WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THE NORTHEAST, WHICH

WILL BE DOING SO SHORTLY. LATEST HI-RES MODELS ARE INDICATING THAT

THE FIRST BURST OF SNOW WILL BE ENDING WITHIN THE NEXT COUPLE OF

HOURS, AS THE SFC LOW MOVES TO THE NORTHEAST AND THE UL LOW MOVES

RAPIDLY ACROSS OHIO AND INTO W PA. WOULD EXPECT A BREAK IN

WIDESPREAD SNOW SHOWERS FOR A FEW HOURS. BY 12Z, IT APPEARS THAT

WRAP AROUND ACTIVITY WILL BEING IN OHIO ON THE BACK SIDE OF THE

EXITING 50H LOW AND SPREAD EASTWARD. THIS SHOULD PROVIDE THE AREA

WITH ANOTHER SHOT OF WIDESPREAD SNOW SHOWER ACTIVITY THROUGHOUT

THE MORNING HOURS.

VERY COLD AIR CONTINUES TO MOVE ACROSS OHIO. TEMPERATURES ARE

CURRENTLY FALLING AT ABOUT 5 DEGREES PER HOUR BEHIND THE FRONT.

TEMPS SHOULD LEVEL OFF IN THE TEENS TO LOWER 20S ACROSS MOST

LOCATIONS BY DAWN.

ANOTHER MAJOR CONCERN WILL BE THE STRONG WIND GUSTS. EXPECT WIND

GUSTS IN THE LOWLANDS TO 30 MPH THROUGH THE MORNING HOURS, WITH

GUSTS IN EXCESS OF 45 IN THE RIDGES. IT APPEARS AS IF THERE COULD

BE AN INCREASE IN THE GUSTS THIS AFTERNOON. THIS WILL NEED TO

MONITORED IN CASE THE WIND ADVISORY SHOULD BE EXPANDED.

Only a coating of snow this morning.

Didn't even have to shovel or salt my driveway. The driveway was dry.

Maybe we can eak out an inch or two if we get some lake effect today but not holding my breath.

:axe:

Same here, to say I had a dusting would be an exageraton. The futility of this winter never fails to disapoint for snow lovers... :cry:

I fell asleep around 10:30 woke up arond 11:30 and it was pouring, Did the system not get its act together until after it passed us by, or did a majority of our qpf fall as rain? I was a little concerned when at 9:30 it was almost 50 degrees.I am glad I didn't lose sleep over this. I guess it wouldn't have mattered much as its going to be 42 on Monday with rain showers. Aside from getting lucky and getting under a persitent band I think the snow aspect of this has already passed us. Guess we can wait another 3 weeks for a chance of snow showers again when the next transient cold blast moves though. :ee:

Yeah, I also ended up with just a coating. They called for 1 to 3 overnight so the overnight part of this was definitely a bust. There's some snow moving through eastern Ohio that we might get in on in a little while. Not sure how much will get out of it. I guess for every storm that over performs for us like the last one, we have a bunch like this one that don't live up to the forecast.

I think we're going to end up seeing more snow today than we did last night, which isn't saying much, but I guess it's something. Snow continues to work its way into the area from Ohio. You have a pretty decent band moving through your area north pgh. Fairly light right now where I'm at but its so cold out that its all gonna stick obviously. Be careful out there.

Have an inch on the ground.

Lots of blowing so hard to maeasure.

Temp is 20.

Yeah I'd say about an inch has fallen here. Impossible to tell for sure though with all the blowing. At least it looks and feels like a day in Mid January out there today. I was so disgusted when I woke up this morning and saw next to nothing had fallen I went on a little bit of a rant lol.

While the pattern remains unfavorable for cold to lock in, hopefully we can get some little events to time up with our cold shots. Maybe a better setup will take hold for part of February.

Just came in from clearing the driveway. Actually had to shovel but a very fluffy 2 inches.

We got the snow today I was expecting. Didn't get anything last night though.

2 inches looks good around here too, hard to say for sure though. I keep looking at the radar, and everytime it seems like the bands are diminishing the fill back in across SWPA. If this keeps up for another couple of hours we may end up with another inch or 2 as I keep getting the heavier bands embededed in the persistent light stuff thats been falling all day.

I picked up another inch of snow overnight.

Ended up with 3 inches.

Not a bad little event.

Would have been 5 had we gotten the snow Thursday night.

Yeah, amazing how poorly this was modeled. I thought for sure, based on the models, that when I got my coating two nights ago I was done..and then I got almost 3 inches after that...

Archived