joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pittsburgh/Western Pa Weather

north pgh

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I picked up around an inch. Round two comes tonight and tomorrow. Worried about the ice I may get. If it's that bad out early tomorrow, I'll just call off, I don't care how much it pisses off my bosses. Not risking my life for those people.

My bosses know, unless they are paying the deductibles, I will not come to work if it is dicey out.

I'm thinking the warm tongue won't get as far as allegheny county...with the consistent Trends southward on each model run....I'm hoping not-ice would be awful

We went from a high of 37 for tomorrow in last night's forecast to a high of just 30 for tomorrow in this morning's forecast. NWS seems to be taking the GFS run more seriously than the NAM. GFS is still the colder run.

I wound up with 2.5 up at my house in Armstrong....looking like it was about 1.5 down here in New Ken at work.

Where do you work at in NK if you don't mind me asking? Is it down in the valley closer to the river? I live in the New Ken area, (I can see the Giant Eagle on Tarantem bridge road) and I measured about 2.25 on my sidewalk.

Found this in another thread and thought it was a perfect description of our winter! :weenie:

Here I sit witty

upon my porch

Clear, sunny and fifty

resembles a torch

Once a pimp with model lust

turned to dunce

with a forecast bust

Damned by the Euro, occasionally the NAM

constantly abused and even rammed

Most hail the GFS

Some say the Ukie, but only

Bums who like big piles of dookie

CMC burns like a stinging pee,

from a contracted STD at the DMV!

This winter is so bad I wouldn't mind being drafted,

anything is better than being maimed, beaten, and shafted!

We went from a high of 37 for tomorrow in last night's forecast to a high of just 30 for tomorrow in this morning's forecast. NWS seems to be taking the GFS run more seriously than the NAM. GFS is still the colder run.

Temps fell fast last night.

The forecasted low kept being adjusted downward. KPIT was about 10 degrees colder this morning, than originally forecasted yesterday evening.

Temps fell fast last night.

The forecasted low kept being adjusted downward. KPIT was about 10 degrees colder this morning, than originally forecasted yesterday evening.

I don't think we will warm up enough to get plain rain tomorrow morning. I think it will be mostly snow from Northern Allegheny County and north and the City south will get a decent amount of snow but more freezing rain and sleet mixing in. Too bad most of it will fall in the overnight while we sleep or if we sleep. Anybody planning on staying up? I know I can't make it all night but if it is still snowing late I will probably be up til the wee hours anyway.

Where do you work at in NK if you don't mind me asking? Is it down in the valley closer to the river? I live in the New Ken area, (I can see the Giant Eagle on Tarantem bridge road) and I measured about 2.25 on my sidewalk.

I am actually down in Arnold just about next to the river. Yeah, it sounds better saying New Kensington than Arnold. LOL The street I work on is NOT exactly a thriving, booming area.

I'll be up until I see the warm tongue of death on radar then I'll pack it in ;-)

Those old maps are funny.....

....I think this storm is a lot smaller, a different track , and a different trajectory though. So don't think we will see that kind of intrusion with plain rain. I think the bust potential for us lies in how soon we transition to a sleet/FRZ.

I think there may be a SWPa 5 or 6" type sweet spot somehwere....probably more like in the Butler/Beaver area though

I am actually down in Arnold just about next to the river. Yeah, it sounds better saying New Kensington than Arnold. LOL The street I work on is NOT exactly a thriving, booming area.

My wife used to work at a day care center on constitution blvd and I would notice some days during a very marginal temperature situation it would be raining there when I picked my daughter up, but once I left and started going up the hill by the time I got home it was either snow or a mix. Funny how only a couple hundred feet in elevation can make a difference sometimes.

I know what you mean about saying New Ken over Arnold, we live literally right across the street from what would be considered lower burrell and our neighborhood is very nice, but we always cringe when someone asks oh where do you live and we have to say New Kensington lol. Its a shame how those bad areas really give the whole area in gernal a bad name.

Those old maps are funny.....

....I think this storm is a lot smaller, a different track , and a different trajectory though. So don't think we will see that kind of intrusion with plain rain. I think the bust potential for us lies in how soon we transition to a sleet/FRZ.

I think there may be a SWPa 5 or 6" type sweet spot somehwere....probably more like in the Butler/Beaver area though

The GFS looks to be a tad warmer. I believe you are right. I think Cranberry and North to Butler and over to Beaver county stay all snow and us Allegheny County folks will have to put up with the mix. I remember a storm years ago where I would keep turning from Big fat flakes of snow over to freezing rain and sleet while area 10 miles north of me picked up heavier snow. I think it will be one of those storms.

The GFS looks to be a tad warmer. I believe you are right. I think Cranberry and North to Butler and over to Beaver county stay all snow and us Allegheny County folks will have to put up with the mix. I remember a storm years ago where I would keep turning from Big fat flakes of snow over to freezing rain and sleet while area 10 miles north of me picked up heavier snow. I think it will be one of those storms.

So, basically the usual, with these types of storms. Allegheny County always seem to be the dividing line.

latest models not looking good for me-and weather.com saying even less than a inch here in southern allegheny county :axe: looks you guys in the north will get some while I get the :flood:

Well, the 12Z GFS hammers out about 6" for KAGC. That's fairly close to your latitude.

So, even if that is underestimating the warmer air, all hope is not lost yet

My wife used to work at a day care center on constitution blvd and I would notice some days during a very marginal temperature situation it would be raining there when I picked my daughter up, but once I left and started going up the hill by the time I got home it was either snow or a mix. Funny how only a couple hundred feet in elevation can make a difference sometimes.

I know what you mean about saying New Ken over Arnold, we live literally right across the street from what would be considered lower burrell and our neighborhood is very nice, but we always cringe when someone asks oh where do you live and we have to say New Kensington lol. Its a shame how those bad areas really give the whole area in gernal a bad name.

Oh I would a million times over rather say New Ken over Arnold! LOL It is sad though because I have heard of how great Arnold was back in the day. I do, however, think Fazio's is awesome and run up Drey Street for lunch often...as well as go to Giant Eagle salad bar...yum!

Anyway, down here on 3rd ave is just horrible as I am sure you know.

As for the difference for weather, I have that up by my house. I live literally 1 mile south of 422 and can see it from my house. How many times I have gone from Kittanning (the town just to my north) to home and once you cross 422 the weather changes. VERY STRANGE.

As for the difference for weather, I have that up by my house. I live literally 1 mile south of 422 and can see it from my house. How many times I have gone from Kittanning (the town just to my north) to home and once you cross 422 the weather changes. VERY STRANGE.

Are there elevation changes along that stretch?....that could be a significant factor

latest models not looking good for me-and weather.com saying even less than a inch here in southern allegheny county :axe: looks you guys in the north will get some while I get the :flood:

Its probably better for everyone south of Butler, Beaver and Armstrong to assume a mix will occur and be pleasantly surprised if it doesn't. Its rare that the cold can hang on enough to keep us from going to plain rain, but the VD 2007 was an example of surface temperatures staying cold enough that we never had plain rain. We had snow, sleet zr then back to snow the next day. I hate to sound like such a pesimist but whats the saying... fool me once shame on you fool me twice shame on me lol.

Are there elevation changes along that stretch?....that could be a significant factor

I think microclimates are so interesting to try and figure out whats causing them. With most cars now having the built in outside tempeature you can really get a feel for places that you travel though often for how temperatures fluctuate in contrast to your home. Traveling on 365 as an example, once you get close to where it intersects with 380 until it connects with 66 the temperature is almost always colder. On nights with radiational cooling it can be up to 10 degrees colder than anywhere else.

I am sure most of you have seen this but if you haven't click on the attachment, Click animate, and watch the heavy snow and mix cut right through Allegheny County. It would be nice if we could get about a 50 mile south movement on the storm so our friends in Bethel and the South Hills can get more snow as well. Should be interesting.

http://collaboration.cmc.ec.gc.ca/cmc/cmdn/pcpn_type/pcpn_type_gem_reg.html

I hate how the local newscasters are so starved for ratings that they scare the hell out of viewers so they will watch.

I am watching Judge Judy and Peggy Finigan comes on the commercial with "getting ready for a MAJOR STORM to hit our area" and then the weathercasters chime in with "Were tracking which areas will get A HALF A FOOT and which areas will be looking at "DOWNED TREES and POWER LINES".

Bread and Milk

Bread and Milk

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived