• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
The 2008 Analog Every Other Month

Good stuff bluewave. 2008 has been a great analog for the past several months and is one of my main analogs for the ensuing winter (along with 54-55 and 55-56). Numerous similarities in the placement of pos/neg anomalies in the nern hemisphere. Good point about the October snow event as well. This winter should feature a more negative NAO/AO than 08-09, so I do expect the snowfall gradient to be quite a bit further south than that year.

I have been on the 08-09 train for a while now, too, as well as 62-63 (and 56-57 to a lesser extent)... early indications (to me) are that we may be much wetter than 08-09, though, with so many huge QPF events the past few months...

I would agree. It's interesting to note the SSTA profile in the West Atlantic for now versus late October of 2008.

Late Oct '08:

f2pqg7.gif

Now:

nbb13q.gif

Quite a bit warmer anomaly wise at the present. This should aid in building a fairly tight baroclinic zone / thermal gradient once we start seeing troughs amplify and lock into the Eastern US late Nov through December. Given my expectation for a -NAO December, favorable tropical forcing, and the warm waters offshore, it's largely why I'm targeting another possible significant storm in the mid/late Dec time frame.

it may be coincidence, but every month since July has featured an event with 1"+ QPF on the 28th-29th... sometimes we do seem to get big stoms in "cycles", could be an indicator of big potential at the end of both November and December, just something to watch...

I like mid-December for a decent sized snow event, though... and the general period of Dec-mid/late January

2008-2009 is a pretty decent analog in my book. Locally the months are very similar except 2011 was a touch warmer and wetter. Though both months had similar number of precip events that were of the low amount high frequency type.

Yeah,so far this year is warmer and much wetter than the 2008 pattern was.

Archived