• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
18z models 12.9

Ian

What the heck is going on here? it looks like north FL is getting snow and a low is forming of the NC shore. Monday, is this right?

i doubt that's snow in fl.. looks like frontal precip before it cools aloft. looks like two areas of lower pressure in the mid atlantic and off the coast.. 700mb looks decent though at least around here (mid-atl).. if it ran further it that piece near nc should come north. of course it's probably crap.

Here's the 72 hr. It still looks like it has some anafront characteristics but much quicker than the NAM with the base of the trof.

doesnt most or all the precip come (around here at least) before it's cold enough for snow?

doesnt most or all the precip come (around here at least) before it's cold enough for snow?

I think so, the 850 is OK but the boundary layer is warm so the best we can do I think is a little slushy dusting but that is all it has ever really looked like. It makes me feel good about my CWG piece. You had me getting worried by posting the 84hr NAM. :whistle:

I think so, the 850 is OK but the boundary layer is warm so the best we can do I think is a little slushy dusting but that is all it has ever really looked like. It makes me feel good about my CWG piece. You had me getting worried by posting the 84hr NAM. :whistle:

im hanging on to any hope i can find at this point. ;) i love the trough one way or another.. 500 mb maps make me tingly sometimes. it's tough falling back into "normal" as far as winter goes in these parts.

im hanging on to any hope i can find at this point. ;) i love the trough one way or another.. 500 mb maps make me tingly sometimes. it's tough falling back into "normal" as far as winter goes in these parts.

All I'm hoping for is a little accumulating snow to start the winter - really just got a coating on Thanksgiving.

For DC is does look like some light snow around hr. 78 - slightly more east.

maybe.. would have to see soundings i guess. but the surface has just become cold enough at that time (well, maybe 2 or 3 hours earlier if it's sub 32 then) but im guessing the precip shuts off before that in large part at least.

700 at the same time doesnt look super for much

http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/nwprod/analysis/namer/gfs/18/images/gfs_700_078m.gif

Thanks for the well thought out explanation. I guess I didn't make myself clear. I was referring to the circular yellow/orange rings. I just wanted to know what they are.

it's basically just the trough at 500mb, lower pressure areas at that level. the x's are vort (rotation) maxes. in this case the trough as a whole at 84 is tilted negative.. se to nw. you often see a surface low to the se of the best vorticity at 500mb.

there's some more here, google.. not sure it's the best explain in this case but it is one nonetheless.

http://www.theweatherprediction.com/charts/500/basics/

Thanks for the well thought out explanation. I guess I didn't make myself clear. I was referring to the circular yellow/orange rings. I just wanted to know what they are.

That's vorticity, it shows how much the air is swirling. Mainly is the winds that one looks at; the origin of the flow shows how warm the air aloft will be.

Thanks guys.

it's basically just the trough at 500mb, lower pressure areas at that level. the x's are vort (rotation) maxes. in this case the trough as a whole at 84 is tilted negative.. se to nw. you often see a surface low to the se of the best vorticity at 500mb.

there's some more here, google.. not sure it's the best explain in this case but it is one nonetheless.

http://www.theweathe...rts/500/basics/

That's vorticity, it shows how much the air is swirling. Mainly is the winds that one looks at; the origin of the flow shows how warm the air aloft will be.

Archived