mowsee447
    Newest Member
    mowsee447
WxChallenge 2011-2012 Season

phil882

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WxMidwest's link says a trace of precip between 18z and 0z. Does that count as 0.00" or 0.01"? Argh, I'm pretty sure it's 0.00".

Also, wow at 79 already. If we get below 77 then I start losing points in the other direction (well technically gaining them) which would be unfortunate.

The Metar says 79 is still the low, so NWS had something wrong in there statement had 78F. Lesson: Always go with the METARS...

The low may still occur in these later hours though, getting to 77 would be great for me...

I think the 78 was the minimum of the 24-hour period ending at 12:53 am today. Hence it wouldn't cover this morning's low.

Getting up to 93F today and the storm missing that narrowly destroyed me today. 16 Error Points. So incredibly frustrating. Forecasting individual precipitation amounts for Miami like this is just asinine.

It truly is. I would be fine if we were forecasting POPs, but forecasting discrete precipitation amounts is nearly impossible because of the scale of the storms that occur - unless I'm unaware of some magical guidance product that can do it. (While the HRRR guidance may look plausible, it often gets things wrong as I'm sure many here are aware. The addition of an ensemble HRRR will probably help, though.)

I'm not one to complain usually, but in my opinion there is much more luck to winning this city than skill, especially when you factor in the small standard deviations in temp forecasts compared to what other cities will be like.

Getting up to 93F today and the storm missing that narrowly destroyed me today. 16 Error Points. So incredibly frustrating. Forecasting individual precipitation amounts for Miami like this is just asinine.

Yep, it's just pointless...as wxjoe said it's pretty much luck as opposed to skill, so I'm just going to keep forecasting 0.00" straight up unless I see a strong QPF signal from multiple models. Honestly the wind is what has hurt me, as I believe I've been low every single day thus far. Having said all that, I'm currently around 400th place so I guess I must be doing something right.

Forget making my own forecasts I am going to go with Climo from now on. Climo is number 40 overall while I am a few magnitudes behind that.

*CLIMO0 - aka climo with zero precip.

CLIMO_ (with precip) is sitting at a much, much lower 1041. So just go with 87 / 74 / 13 / 0 every day... haha.

PS: Has anyone else had the issue that the results page keeps defaulting to Day 3 instead of Day 4?

Man! Sad I missed out on the contest this year... One thing I've noticed, just going back and looking at the past three days, is that those low temperatures are going to depend on WHEN they see the rain, if any. Yesterday, it rained earlier in the afternoon, allowing temperatures to get back into the middle 80s before slowly dropping into the upper 70s. Also, the WIND DIRECTION plays a huge part in forecasting the overnight low... If there's a bit of northerly wind overnight, temperatures will drop relatively fast. However, if you continue to see an easterly (or even a westerly wind to some extent) it won't dip much below 76/77. Also, the rain is a crap shoot as you can have some areas of Miami pick up 2 inches, but the official recording station only picks up .04 :axe:

You can't go wrong with a forecast of 90/77/12/.10 each day for Miami... that is until the front tries to work its way into South Florida which you also have to be careful about, but that's next week.

Good luck to everyone forecasting for Miami! It's a tricky spot to forecast for, as many of you are finding out now, but it's also enjoyable! BTW, I grew up on the west coast of Florida so I know what you are going through forecasting those stupid overnight lows :lol:

Forget making my own forecasts I am going to go with Climo from now on. Climo is number 40 overall while I am a few magnitudes behind that.

A tad above climo is what I said to go with, but overall it wouldn't have been a bad forecast, especially for overnight lows the past few days! Next week is going to be fun to see just how "cool" they get, the winds, and how quickly they warm up and on which day!

Oh, and something else I noticed from doing the contest the past three years (forgot to sign up for it this year arrowheadsmiley.png) is that the winds are GENERALLY a little higher than you think they will be... That's not always the case but it works out a good 80% of the time. Enjoy forecast next week for Miami!

I'm 884 overall, with a rather rough first week.

How do I find out where I rank in the Category-4 forecasters? When I click "Results" and "Category 4" I get only Cat 4 forecasters, but still only my overall rank.

I'm negNAO at val, by the way.

You have to be insane like me and actually count all the way down. :D

Archived