Newest Member
    mowsee447
WxChallenge 2011-2012 Season

phil882

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

85/75/18/0.00

Contemplated throwing in a few hundreths of an inch of precip...wrf/sref showing 50-70% chance of measurable precip, but the gfs is less than half of that. Since I always seem to bust of precip, just keeping it zero.

Yeah, both the high res WRF models (NMM, ARW) had that area getting hit pretty good with precip. I went 86/74/16/0.01

85/75/18/0.00

Contemplated throwing in a few hundreths of an inch of precip...wrf/sref showing 50-70% chance of measurable precip, but the gfs is less than half of that. Since I always seem to bust of precip, just keeping it zero.

I am scared...I went with 0.05" of precip and my Met I Lab Professor went with 0.00"...if I beat her for the two weeks I get some extra credit and I'm currently winning by 2.5 pts and hoping not to choke my lead away on precip...

85/75/18/0.00

I kept it at zero tomorrow but I feel like Friday we'll need to put in some QPF. What do you guys think for wind tomorrow? I said 16...Looks like similar to today but Friday could be a 20kt+ day.

NWS has a "Hydrologic Outlook" out

HYDROLOGIC OUTLOOK

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MIAMI FL

442 AM EDT THU OCT 6 2011

...SOME LOCALLY HEAVY RAINFALL POSSIBLE ACROSS SOUTH FLORIDA THIS WEEKEND...A STATIONARY FRONT LOCATED OVER THE WESTERN CARIBBEAN SEA WILL MOVESLOWLY NORTH TONIGHT INTO FRIDAY...BEFORE MOVING INTO SOUTH FLORIDAON SATURDAY AND THEN INTO CENTRAL FLORIDA ON SUNDAY. WEAK LOWPRESSURE WILL ALSO DEVELOP ALONG THE FRONT LATE SATURDAY AND MOVENORTHWARD ON SUNDAY INTO CENTRAL FLORIDA. THIS WILL ALLOW FOR SOMETROPICAL MOISTURE TO WORK INTO SOUTH FLORIDA LATE FRIDAY NIGHTINTO SUNDAY. AT THIS TIME...IT LOOKS LIKE RAINFALL TOTALS FROM THIS EVENT WILL RANGE FROM 2 TO 4 INCHES WITH LOCALLY HIGHERAMOUNTS OF 4 TO 6 INCHES OVER SOUTH FLORIDA WHICH COULD LEAD TO SOME LOW LYING AND STREET FLOODING. AS THIS WEATHER EVENT GETSCLOSER IN TIME...THE RAINFALL TOTALS WILL BE FINE TUNED IN LATER STATEMENTS.$

BAXTER

http://forecast.weat...rologic+Outlook

Could be some interesting forecasting for Friday, although right now the GFS only has 0.87" for KMIA from this event, so the product might be a bit bullish, and even that rain mostly falls on the weekend.

It's going to be a close call with that rain. Individual cells appear to have a pretty good southward component to their movement, so precip may just miss the airport. We'll see...

Saturday will almost surely rain, and probably quite a bit, but unfortunately that's not when we forecast for. Tomorrow is the real dry-to-wet transition zone, making it especially tough!

87/77/22/0.04

I went 77 because the winds last night actually dropped for an hour which let it come down from 77. Tonight I don't think that will happen. I meant to put 21 kts but I think my finger slipped and I was in a hurry before the dining hall closed. I noticed something interesting on the EURO which is that the mean shower direction will be from the NE but there is easterly flow on the surface. I saw this last Tuesday I think it was, and I noticed that when this happens the showers tend to die out once on land. I put some precip in there because it is certianly possible that one of the more robust ones could make it over.

Whatever it ends up happening.. KMIA is DONE! :snowman:

87/77/22/0.04

I went 77 because the winds last night actually dropped for an hour which let it come down from 77. Tonight I don't think that will happen. I meant to put 21 kts but I think my finger slipped and I was in a hurry before the dining hall closed. I noticed something interesting on the EURO which is that the mean shower direction will be from the NE but there is easterly flow on the surface. I saw this last Tuesday I think it was, and I noticed that when this happens the showers tend to die out once on land. I put some precip in there because it is certianly possible that one of the more robust ones could make it over.

Whatever it ends up happening.. KMIA is DONE! :snowman:

Good observations. The WRF simulated radar shows the showers dying along the shoreline, although the rain shield eventually makes it inland later in the day.

Archived