northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
WxChallenge 2011-2012 Season

phil882

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What do they do in a situation like that? Should I change my forecast to 0.00" for tomorrow? gun_bandana.gif

Well, it no longer says pno in the metar report, so perhaps it was only down for an hour. But, there hasn't been any accumulation since then so either the snow has been very light for 3 hrs straight with no accumulation, or it's not working but no longer being reported as being broken.

I would definitely put a precip forecast. If it is broken, wxchallenge will notice it and not count precip forecasts. If it's fine, then you'll be happy you made a forecast!

The wind really screwed me yesterday. It was sitting at 11 knots, numped p to 14 kts, then this morning I see the max hit 29 kts. arrowheadsmiley.png

I guess I need to pay attention to the orientation of the wind flow, it seems like unless it comes up the passage they got nothing, but when it does they gust way beyond guidance.

31/14/25/0.00

I already blew the high unless winds pick up and mix it back to 31F, but it seems crazy things want to happen with this city around 6z every night. Winds I just basically said, ok not going to be lower than 15 knots, and not going to be higher than 35 knots, so took the middle ground lol

Pardon my ignorance but what exactly is the USL?

http://www.microclimates.org/forecast/wxchallenge.html

I had been doing the best I'd ever done in Juneau and I don't know what I was thinking but the past two days just slaughtered me in Juneau.... oof. I'm hoping today will redeem me a little but these winds are really tough...

http://www.microclim...xchallenge.html

I had been doing the best I'd ever done in Juneau and I don't know what I was thinking but the past two days just slaughtered me in Juneau.... oof. I'm hoping today will redeem me a little but these winds are really tough...

Well that would have been helpful to have for the past 3 cities. Is that something on the WxChallenge website that I completely overlooked?

Anyway it looks like the high winds it was forecasting in its 22z run last night did not come to fruition, as the highest sustained wind at PAJN so far is only 11 knots.

Well that would have been helpful to have for the past 3 cities. Is that something on the WxChallenge website that I completely overlooked?

Anyway it looks like the high winds it was forecasting in its 22z run last night did not come to fruition, as the highest sustained wind at PAJN so far is only 11 knots.

It is really hit and miss. It would figure that the day I give it credibility it fails me. :arrowhead: So over Alaska....

Did the climo report go DOWN from 27 to 26 knots? :lol:

No. The highest hourly reported winds were 27 knots, but since that occurred before midnight on Nov 16, it doesn't go into the climate report. They use the climate report from midnight Nov 16 to midnight November 17 for Day 6. The highest winds during that period were 26 knots. It is dumb because when they use the climate report, it runs past 6z but the winds still count for the period. Finally, the winds for Day 6 should be 27 knots.

No. The highest hourly reported winds were 27 knots, but since that occurred before midnight on Nov 16, it doesn't go into the climate report. They use the climate report from midnight Nov 16 to midnight November 17 for Day 6. The highest winds during that period were 26 knots. It is dumb because when they use the climate report, it runs past 6z but the winds still count for the period. Finally, the winds for Day 6 should be 27 knots.

Oh okay, so I guess wxchallenge will eventually readjust the winds to 27 knots? And what a silly rule for the climo report - I think it was this that made the winds so low on day 2.

And lol at the winds being so low today. Does anyone think we're going to increase at all?

Archived