• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Advice for snow chasing

FLO

I live in Aiken just south of Columbia, SC. If I were to out of the blue decide to chase snow up to NC sometime, what is the best place to go and stay that doesnt take a half day to get to? Like say it looks like it may snow on a Fri. night/Sat. morning, is it easy to find lodging at the last minute?

I would recommend anywhere above 4,000 feet in Avery County, including the Banner Elk/Sugar Mtn area and Beech Moutain. Beech would be my top recommendation. They usually do very well in Northwest Flow Events sitting at over 5,000 feet. Coming from Columbia, it wouldn't be the closest place in the NC mountains to see snow, but IMO the best. BTW, I lived up that way for over 5 years.

I would recommend anywhere above 4,000 feet in Avery County, including the Banner Elk/Sugar Mtn area and Beech Moutain. Beech would be my top recommendation. They usually do very well in Northwest Flow Events sitting at over 5,000 feet. Coming from Columbia, it wouldn't be the closest place in the NC mountains to see snow, but IMO the best. BTW, I lived up that way for over 5 years.

How far of a drive? And thanks for the info. No clue about any of those areas, but I'll look them up. Close to Asheville? Boone?

How far of a drive? And thanks for the info. No clue about any of those areas, but I'll look them up. Close to Asheville? Boone?

If you want a shorter drive try Cataloochee Ski Resort in the town of Maggie Valley. Compared to Beech it is about 3 - 4" less due to moisture fetch extent from the GL and also about 1hr and 30min shortert of a drive. And if you are feeling squirrelly then drive past Cat and keep on going to Soco Gap; they always do well.

Also the best time for snow in those areas will be Sunday night into Tuesday as NW flow opens up. They might do well from Sat nights low moving through but man they get hammered in NW fow setups.

Case in point this past weekend. It snowed from Sat morning till Monday midday up there and most location picked up over 18". Granted about 3-4" of that was from the clipper Sat.

I can't go to Boone Tues or Wed. Although that would be nice. I'd have to drive up on a Friday and leave on a Sunday so that is why I am wondering if it is easy to find a place to stay last minute one weekend if I see it is going to snow. I see it is only 4 hrs or so away. Where is there to stay in boone where i could enjoy the snow? Hotel or cabin or what? Or is it even possible to find lodging at the last minute?

And one more question, are the chances good at seeing snow if I were to reserve a cabin for a weekend in say somewhere between mid Jan.to mid Feb. in Boone? Or is the la nina going to kill snow chances there as well? Thanks everyone.

That's simple for me. Boone first. Then back down hwy 105 towards grandfather. Then the elk to hit sugar and beech.

I agree........I travel up there a lot on snow chases (only about 1 hour drive from here) . One word of caution, the road up to beech mtn. has a flashing sign at the foot of the mtn that states: "4 wheel drive or chains required beyond this point". It will be turned on when there is snow on the road leading up the mtn. Always a good idea to check out the web cams before planning a trip up the mtn. As far as places to stay. you have Boone, Blowing Rock, and Banner Elk. If you want a real winter experience you can stay at one of the ski slopes (Sugar or Beech)

I hiked LeConte earlier in the fall and there was 9" at the top. Did this in one day and it was a pretty good feat. For us hikers, road condition into the park will be very hazardous. Sugarland entrance to the park will either be closed or you will have to have 4x4 and chains.. If one is to attempt a summit if the park even allows people out, pick your trail wisely. Rainbow falls trail will offer you the most protection but it is the longest way up along with bullhead. I am trying to figure out myself what to do. If you are not used to or have the gear for the temps enjoy watching from town....

Ok, we are going to Asheville tonight and staying two nights. Is there a section of town that gets more snow- we could stay in town, south near the Airport several miles east and west on I-40. We will use it as a base and travel (I have 4WD) so advice on where to stay and allo good spots to drive to see the best snow would be appreciated. Also if any locals want to meet up that would be great also. I have a general idea on the area but specifics would be awesome.

PM me if you want to meet somewhere. We will leave sometime Monday afternoon and get there in time for dinner tonight.

Ok, we are going to Asheville tonight and staying two nights. Is there a section of town that gets more snow- we could stay in town, south near the Airport several miles east and west on I-40. We will use it as a base and travel (I have 4WD) so advice on where to stay and allo good spots to drive to see the best snow would be appreciated. Also if any locals want to meet up that would be great also. I have a general idea on the area but specifics would be awesome.

PM me if you want to meet somewhere. We will leave sometime Monday afternoon and get there in time for dinner tonight.

I'm sure someone in the Asheville or wnc area can help you, but when i lived there I would go behind the WLOS station road next to the Grove Park Inn and travel up that road all the way to the Blue Ridge Parkway. Well before the BRP you'd be in good snowshowers. I'm sure there are much better roads, I think Mars Hill does ok in this setup and the northern part of the county near Weaverville. If you want to travel a little further maybe head toward Clingmans Dome or Leconte, or Roan Mtn. Have a fun safe trip.

I would definitely go N&W. I would stay at the Comfort Inn in Mars Hill. If you want to stay in Asheville, the the farther N&W of thecity, the better. But hotels are very limited until you get a ways outside of Asheville. Staying at the airport would be snowless and depressing.

I've got some sort of cold or flu, but if I feel a little better, I wouldn't mind just meeting to say hello. I'll PM you tomorrow assuming you'll have access to a computer.

Have a great trip! With my name Buncombe I just had to reply . . .

I've never stayed at that Days Inn but I think it is the one in Woodfin. If you drive just 4 miles north from that Days Inn up 19/23 to Weaverville, the difference can between a dusting and an inch or two. It is not far to Mars Hill either which does quite a bit better than Weaverville in a NW flow event. You could drive up just to eat in Weaverville. Of course, if Foothills first call is right, and Asheville is primarily snow during the prefrontal passage precip, then you can just drive into Asheville to eat! You won't have to go anywhere. Following this board from Asheville for the past few years, I never bet against anything Foothills says! Even if he acknowledges he is being bold and making a gutsy call, don't be against him! A couple of places seem to do well in these types of events. You could drive up to the Wolf Laurel Ski resort, which is up 19/23. I can get to the ski resort but I don't know any other roads around there.

The best spot in a NW flow event is consistently Roan Mtn depending upon whether or not the trajectory hits the smokies or the northern mountains. I believe it is closer to Asheville than Beech, for example, and the roads are reasonably well maintained up there. It is still quite a drive, especially if the roads are snow covered. You can still slide off because you are driving over 5000 feet. It sounds like it will be a blizzard so watch out! I haven't heard how much is up there now but I assume at least a foot on the ground currently. I'm thinking about checking out driving from N. Asheville to Doggett Mtn. over toward Max Patch sometime during or after this event i don't know how the roads are over that way.

Good luck and have fun!

We plan to eat in Asheville tonight then drive wherever tomorrow if the conditions do not get too bad. Then back to AVL tomorrow night for dinner, stay one more night then more driving to find snow Monday AM before heeding back to ATL in the early afternoon. If any locals want to join us for dinner or a drink either night PM me.

Archived