NHC_ATCF

invest_al942011.invest

FSTDA

R

U

NONE

NOTIFY=ATRP

END

INVEST, AL, L, , , , , 94, 2011, DB, O, 2011090112, 9999999999, , , , , , METWATCH, , AL942011

AL, 94, 2011090112, , BEST, 0, 375N, 637W, 25, 0, DB, 0, , 0, 0, 0, 0,

09012011_1302_goes13_x_vis2km_94LINVEST_25kts-NAmb-375N-637W_66pc.jpg

Off to the races here...

(I know it isn't terribly interesting... but the battle between 93 and 94L, IMO, is ;) )

SHIPS was initialized with 35kt winds, takes it up to a peak of 53kt in 36 hours, weakens it slowly before becoming extratropical in 60 hours.

Strength wise, 94L is most favored to become Lee if it can become more detached from the front it is on (or unless they decide to go subtropical) since 93L is still a bit diffuse.

You really think so? It's only a 10% lemon now. I guess that didn't stop them with Jose.

This part is true, but I think we are more likely to see a significant increase in the % chance of development at the 2 PM outlook.

2. UPDATED...THE LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM LOCATED ABOUT 360 MILES NORTH

OF BERMUDA APPEARS TO BE ACQUIRING SOME TROPICAL CHARACTERISTICS.

ALTHOUGH UPPER-LEVEL WINDS ARE NOT FAVORABLE FOR SIGNIFICANT

DEVELOPMENT...SCATTEROMETER DATA INDICATE THAT THE SYSTEM IS

PRODUCING WINDS OF TROPICAL STORM FORCE...AND ONLY A SLIGHT

INCREASE IN THE ORGANIZATION OF THIS SYSTEM COULD RESULT IN THE

FORMATION OF A TROPICAL STORM. THE LOW IS MOVING LITTLE AT THIS

TIME...BUT SHOULD BEGIN TO MOVE NORTHEASTWARD AT 10 TO 15 MPH

TONIGHT. THIS SYSTEM HAS A MEDIUM CHANCE...50 PERCENT...OF

BECOMING A TROPICAL CYCLONE DURING THE NEXT 48 HOURS.

2. UPDATED...THE LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM LOCATED ABOUT 360 MILES NORTH

OF BERMUDA APPEARS TO BE ACQUIRING SOME TROPICAL CHARACTERISTICS.

ALTHOUGH UPPER-LEVEL WINDS ARE NOT FAVORABLE FOR SIGNIFICANT

DEVELOPMENT...SCATTEROMETER DATA INDICATE THAT THE SYSTEM IS

PRODUCING WINDS OF TROPICAL STORM FORCE...AND ONLY A SLIGHT

INCREASE IN THE ORGANIZATION OF THIS SYSTEM COULD RESULT IN THE

FORMATION OF A TROPICAL STORM. THE LOW IS MOVING LITTLE AT THIS

TIME...BUT SHOULD BEGIN TO MOVE NORTHEASTWARD AT 10 TO 15 MPH

TONIGHT. THIS SYSTEM HAS A MEDIUM CHANCE...50 PERCENT...OF

BECOMING A TROPICAL CYCLONE DURING THE NEXT 48 HOURS.

Very nice... although it is sheared, 94L has produced a nice blowup of convection just east of the center... this may be TS Lee at 5 or 11 PM.

I've gotten really fond of 45 mph naked swirls this year – I think I have a numbers fetish. If it gets us one more letter closer to Alpha, I'm game for a 3-advisory Lee or Maria. I think there's something to be said, also, about having something new on the backburner every few days, while the main shows are making their way across the western hemisphere.

This will likely become Lee within 12 hours... its been maintaining plenty of convection and has a well organized llc. The only remaining question is if this has warm core characteristics, and it seems pretty obvious based on the image below its warm core.

Totally agree... we'll probably have a cherry at 2 PM

Regarding track scenarios, where could 94l go in the future days and does anyone think it could bring some weather into Nova Scotia ?? :)

If you want to believe the ECWMF, the system gets tangled up in a frontal boundary and dissipates to your southeast long before it has a chance to get that far north.

Up to 60%

1. SHOWER ACTIVITY ASSOCIATED WITH A LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM LOCATED ABOUT450 MILES SOUTH OF HALIFAX NOVA SCOTIA HAS BECOME MORE CONCENTRATEDDURING THE PAST SEVERAL HOURS. THIS SYSTEM IS PRODUCING WINDS OFTROPICAL STORM FORCE...AND ONLY A SLIGHT INCREASE IN ORGANIZATIONCOULD RESULT IN THE FORMATION OF A TROPICAL STORM. THIS SYSTEM HASA HIGH CHANCE...60 PERCENT...OF BECOMING A TROPICAL CYCLONE DURINGTHE NEXT 48 HOURS AS IT MOVES TOWARD THE NORTHEAST AT 10 TO 15 MPH.

If it had hit a ship at sea, it might have show up as the September Gale of 1786 and someone would have later decided it was a TC. Especially if it had been a convoy of ships, and one sank with the governor general of Bermuda or something.

In all seriousness, I don't think any sailor would have thought anything of it... I can't imagine seas are much higher than a couple/few feet under that, and winds are probably well below gale force in most of the circulation.

In all seriousness, I don't think any sailor would have thought anything of it... I can't imagine seas are much higher than a couple/few feet under that, and winds are probably well below gale force in most of the circulation.

We'd have a way better idea of its gales if ASCAT wasn't such a frustrating product

Archived