• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Extratropical Depression Lee

I've heard from someone involved in EnKF TC modeling that the GFS/EnKF ensembles are quite good, much better than the operational GFS ensembles, and perhaps even in the same breath as the ECMWF ensembles. This is second-hand info though, and these are experimental.

I wouldn't be surprised. I've been using the EnKF "operational" run as a forecast tool and it has performed superbly worldwide.

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12z experimental GFS/ENKF ensembles are pretty well clustered around the north central gulf coast. I am not sure how reliable this is though.

That is certainly depressing for people with lawns and who like to see living trees in the park, but the old fashioned lower resolution old physics package with 3D or 4D Var or whatever is more optimistic, and as a natural optimist, I choose to remain glass 1/132nd full optimistic now.

gefs-spag_atlantic_120_mslp_1004_1044_iso.gif

Even generally accepting the Euro solution, HGX is not finding silver linings...

.FIRE WEATHER...

SOMEWHAT COUNTER-INTUITIVELY...THE FOCUS OF POSSIBLE TROPICAL WAVE

DEVELOPMENT OVER THE CENTRAL/NWRN GULF COULD HAVE IMPACTS FOR FIRE

WX INTERESTS. WHILE CLOSER TO THE COAST (ROUGHLY I-10 AND SOUTH) A

TREND OF DEEPENING LOW-LEVEL MOISTURE AND INCREASING SEABREEZE ACT-

IVITY SHOULD HELP TO INCREASE POPS FOR THESE LOCATIONS THROUGH THE

WEEKEND. HOWEVER FURTHER NORTH THIS DEVELOPING LARGE SCALE PATTERN

IS EXPECTED TO PRODUCE A FAIRLY DEEP NELY FETCH. THE RESULT SHOULD

BRING MUCH DRIER AIR AND INCREASED WINDS TO THE REGION THROUGH THE

WEEKEND. WITH GROUND FUELS REMAINING EXTREMELY DRY...ELEVATED FIRE

WEATHER CONDITIONS ARE LIKELY. IN THE MEANTIME...WILL HAVE TO STAY

AWARE OF THE SEABREEZE AGAIN TOMORROW AND ITS IMPACTS ON INCREASED

S/SELY WINDS. VERY HOT TEMPS AGAIN TOMORROW AS RAIN CHANCES FALL A

BIT IN THE FACE OF PERSISTENT SUBSIDENCE. 41

&&

Weenie comment and doubt it will happen, but I hope this slams into SW TX coast and rains like crazy from the coast to Austin west to West Texas. Can't describe how bad we need the rain. We are only down to one water source at this point. Hopefully it will be big enough to help Houston etc. also.

be careful what you wish for because if it rains too hard too fast then you'll get some serious flash flooding. The ground is so dry and pretty much rock solid, you'll likely get something similar to the desert southwest monsoon flash floods

be careful what you wish for because if it rains too hard too fast then you'll get some serious flash flooding. The ground is so dry and pretty much rock solid, you'll likely get something similar to the desert southwest monsoon flash floods

The great Harold Taft, IIRC, was the one who said "Every drought in Texas ends with a flood".

HPC progs not encouraging for any Texas drought/fire relief.

post-138-0-75736200-1314830538.gif

The stalling in the Gulf scenario reminds me of Juan in 1985

Ugh, that piece of crap? Don't even remind me of it.

I see why you brought it up-- given it was a stalled, looping cyclone near LA-- but otherwise, I'm going to assume that scenario won't replay with this. Juan occurred very late in the season and was never a truly tropical cyclone-- so it had no real core and really crappy winds.

I see why you brought it up-- given it was a stalled, looping cyclone near LA-- but otherwise, I'm going to assume that won't scenario won't replay with this. Juan occurred very late in the season and was never a truly tropical cyclone-- so it had no real core and really crappy winds.

No wonder you are so twisted. In a tropical sense you were abused growing up.

I didn't look yet, but didn't he maintain a max wind speed of 80kts for like 4 days sitting right in the NE GOM?

Edit: Nope....I was wrong....there was another storm in the 80's that was parked about 150 miles NW of Tampa......

You're thinking of Elena 1985. Juan's winds were never really that good, despite some of the operational estimates.

No wonder you are so twisted. In a tropical sense you were abused growing up.

:lmao:

Might be a grain of truth to that. It was very hard being a budding Tropical Dude in the early- and mid-1980s. There was so little to eat.

It is up to cherry.

1. A LARGE AREA OF DISORGANIZED CLOUDINESS AND THUNDERSTORMS OVER THE

SOUTHEASTERN GULF OF MEXICO IS ASSOCIATED WITH A TROUGH OF LOW

PRESSURE. UPPER-LEVEL WINDS ARE CURRENTLY UNFAVORABLE FOR

DEVELOPMENT...BUT ARE FORECAST TO BECOME MORE CONDUCIVE ON

THURSDAY...AND THIS SYSTEM COULD BECOME A TROPICAL DEPRESSION

DURING THE NEXT DAY OR SO. THIS SYSTEM HAS A HIGH CHANCE...60

PERCENT...OF BECOMING A TROPICAL CYCLONE DURING THE NEXT 48 HOURS

AS IT MOVES SLOWLY NORTHWESTWARD. INTERESTS ALONG THE ENTIRE

NORTHERN GULF OF MEXICO COAST SHOULD MONITOR THE PROGRESS OF THIS

DISTURBANCE.

You're thinking of Elena 1985. Juan's winds were never really that good, despite some of the operational estimates.

:lmao:

Might be a grain of truth to that. It was very hard being a budding Tropical Dude in the early- and mid-1980s. There was so little to eat.

That'd be the storm! I found it a few minutes ago but kids came home and I hadn't seen them for a couple days.

Thank's Josh.

My parents still hate Elena... Of course weather forecasting not being what it is today, they basically had no idea what the hell was going on.... They evacuated Pensacola to Natchez, started coming about halfway back when elena turned NW again and they went back... Only to have Elena go over them as a tropical storm

I see why you brought it up-- given it was a stalled, looping cyclone near LA-- but otherwise, I'm going to assume that scenario won't replay with this. Juan occurred very late in the season and was never a truly tropical cyclone-- so it had no real core and really crappy winds.

It wasn't a classic, but Juan didn't look that bad at it's peak WSW of Morgan City... I mean, lopsided, but had an apparent eyewall on the visible satellite and definitely much better looking than Earl. (I know Earl is a pretty low bar to compare any hurricane to)

You're welcome.

What are your thoughts Re: the future of this? I always enjoy your bullishness. :wub:

As noted earlier regarding the EnKF GFS ensembles, there are some pretty stout looking TC's depicted, and I've honestly just been looking at them since dtk (I think) pointed them out during Irene. Word on the street is they are performing pretty well in their experimental mode. I think (and am hoping for me and my family's sake in Disney next week) that future Lee doesn't get dragged too far east initially, and see a stall (for a bit....not like the GFS 18z 'bust out the Arc' scenario) and then a drift to the SW. Jury is out if this buries itself into N. MX/BRO area or gets strung out and swept into the SE....I don't have a leaning at this point.

Intesity-wise.....really kind of a crap shoot with land interaction, parched air over TX, but pretty good OHC and SST's with the ridge in almost ideal location (at least as progged) in a few days...and of course the main factor..... if it stays sufficiently out in the GOM...there is reason for concern. We know what systems can potentially do there.

It wasn't a classic, but Juan didn't look that bad at it's peak WSW of Morgan City... I mean, lopsided, but had an apparent eyewall on the visible satellite and definitely much better looking than Earl. (I know Earl is a pretty low bar to compare any hurricane to)

I dunno. I found it pretty hateful. And I don't remember much of an eyewall-- I remember a wide, loose center bordered by a broad swath of stratocumulus on one side. Dude, it made Irene at landfall in Jersey look hawt. :lmao:

I dunno. I found it pretty hateful. And I don't remember much of an eyewall-- I remember a wide, loose center bordered by a broad swath of stratocumulus on one side. Dude, it made Irene at landfall in Jersey look hawt. :lmao:

Irene? Again, Juan was no looker, but Irene in NJ?? Heh

Here: http://www.aoml.noaa...eviews/1985.pdf

Yeah, the east side was pitiful as you point out, but there's a little core there in that photo.

Archived