• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Irene damage pics,vids

shaggy

Gonna start a thread so I can show the damage we had around here. Nothing terrible but the tree damage is pretty intense. I'll post videos that don't look like much but the woods I film use to be so thick and now theres huge holes in the forest everywhere. I'm downloading pics now and will have a few more up in a bit. Then i'm heading east to try and see what happened closer to the eye.

In this first video we are going back to my parents neighborhood. As I head down the road the tree line on the left is the one I was videoing the most. After I take the right turn you will see the house with the white truck and thats where we stayed under the carport throughout the storm. The video isn't that great but it was a fully forested area once past my parents house. All the sunshine in the woods use not be there. The number of trees down in the neighborhood was ridiculous.

In this second video I am filming a bigger gust when my nephew came outside to watch. The gust hits and at around 11-12 seconds you will hear a crack as a large tree in the neighbors yard breaks off and crashes through their sunroom totally flattening that room. Luckily they were not in that room at the time. You will hear me tell my sis-in-law to watch my nephew

because he was outside watching.

UicT8.Em.156.jpg

NAGS HEAD, NC - AUGUST 28: Billy Stinson (L), wife Sandra Stinson © and daughter Erin Stinson comfort each other as they sit on the steps where their cottage once stood before it was destroyed by Hurricane Irene August 28, 2011 in Nags Head, North Carolina. The cottage, built in 1903 and destroyed yesterday by Hurricane Irene, was one of the first vacation cottages built on Albemarle Sound in Nags Head. Stinson has owned the home, which is listed in the National Register of Historic Places, since 1963. "We were pretending, just for a moment, that the cottage was still behind us and we were just sitting there watching the sunset," said Erin afterward

Read more: http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/08/28/1442297/five-dead-families-stranded-thousands.html?tab=gallery&gallery=/2011/08/28/1429101/hurricane-irene-lashes-nc-coast.html&gid_index=2#ixzz1WNYMLzmA

x89z7.Em.156.jpg

UicT8.Em.156.jpg

NAGS HEAD, NC - AUGUST 28: Billy Stinson (L), wife Sandra Stinson © and daughter Erin Stinson comfort each other as they sit on the steps where their cottage once stood before it was destroyed by Hurricane Irene August 28, 2011 in Nags Head, North Carolina. The cottage, built in 1903 and destroyed yesterday by Hurricane Irene, was one of the first vacation cottages built on Albemarle Sound in Nags Head. Stinson has owned the home, which is listed in the National Register of Historic Places, since 1963. "We were pretending, just for a moment, that the cottage was still behind us and we were just sitting there watching the sunset," said Erin afterward

Read more: http://www.newsobser...2#ixzz1WNYMLzmA

x89z7.Em.156.jpg

I actually know the Stinsons. He was a school teacher at my high school. Good family and its sad to see their cottage gone.

UicT8.Em.156.jpg

x89z7.Em.156.jpg

The Stinsons place was famous there was a story on it the Our State magazine http://www.ourstate.com/stinsons-ranch

Like my brother I had both Stinsons in high school as teachers and we all were good friends with Erin and my wife actually had spent many weekends in high school and college in that cottage. Honestly its a mircle it made it as long as it did but it is sad to see it go.

However sad it is to see it go it is also a reminder that the price to live that close to the water is oftan a heavy one. They all knew full well that it would end like this :(

UicT8.Em.156.jpg

x89z7.Em.156.jpg

:( Ugh. Went to elementary school with the Stinson girls and it always stinks to see someone you have been acquainted with, have this kind of misfortune. Our State magazine did an interesting article on their beach home last year too.

http://www.ourstate.com/stinsons-ranch

Glad those of you around Greenville made it through the storm okay. My parents in Falkland got power on finally last night, and luckily the tree that fell in their yard missed both their house and carport. In-laws in Farmville just got power on this morning, but have friends a bit further up 43 towards Pinetops that are still without power now, with no real ETA. Here in Wilson, there are a great deal of trees down but thankfully, not a lot of homes damaged and most everyone has power (strangely, though, the homes across the street from me are still without - but we've had power since around 1 a.m. Sunday morning!) Hopefully I can get out and get some pics of the neighborhood. The recreation park down the street sustained tree damage in the April tornado, and now again has been hit pretty hard with numerous trees down.<br><br>Edit:  Just saw where you put the same link in to Our State, downeast!  Sorry bout that - I didn't read down far enough :P<br><br>

Sounds like the Pamlico got hit harder by Irene than any other storm in living memory. I have heard more than a few folks saying how homes that havent had water in the them in the 100 yrs they have existed got flooded in Irene. I know personally a family that had a small cottage on Hickory Pt in Aurora that has been there since the 1950's and it had never been flooded, well Irene not only flooded it but it and all the other houses nearby are not just flooded but destroyed.

In Pitt Co alone there are at least 2,000 homes or businesses that are damaged to some extent and that considered a good starting estimate and its expected to rise......and ECU this morning said their prelim $ estimate for damage is at least 1 million dollars and that should be expected to rise.

A lot of damaged had been made, Properties had been lost and life had been offered. Irene may join top 10 priciest natural disasters in US history. The costs related to Hurricane Irene may go beyond $10 billion before the dust settles, much of that connected with great flood damage. While meteorologists had forecast worse from the weather event that was eventually reduced to a tropical storm, the damage brought on by Irene might still rank it among the top 10 most expensive natural disasters in U.S. history. I just can't imagine the life that was lost because of Irene.

Morehead city has released a summary of Irene with detailed rainfall, surge and wind data along with a county by county account of winds and damage. This is the link if anyone wants to check it out. Along with the summary for my county.

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&issuedby=MHX&product=PSH&format=TXT&version=1&glossary=1

PITT 2

MAXIMUM WIND GUSTS WERE NEAR HURRICANE FORCE RESULTING IN DAMAGE TO

MINOR TO MAJOR STRUCTURAL DAMAGE TO 2000 HOMES AND BUSINESSES MAINLY

DUE TO FALLEN TREES. AGRICULTURAL LOSSES WERE ESTIMATED AT 38

MILLION DOLLARS FROM FLOODING AND WINDS. STORM TOTAL RAINFALL WAS 7

TO 13 INCHES WITH FLOODING OF ROADS AND LOW LYING AREAS. TWO DEATHS

WERE REPORTED FROM FALLEN TREES ON A HOUSE AND A CAR. DAMAGE

ASSESSMENTS ARE ONGOING.

• 3 months later...

Theres a new affect of hurricane starting to show its ugly head......well first there was a disease outbreak among the deer herd. When theres that much rain that fast gnats and flies spread a disease thats call blue tongue and it has really decimated the deer herd in some places.

The second was the amount of leaves and leaf liter that ended up on the ground and in the low lying areas. We have been dry for awhile now and the swamp bottoms and creeks are drying up a bit and releasing some really nasty smells. Around the town of little washington the methane smell is overwhelming in the mornings when the air is still. Riding by the deep ditches and canals down along the pamlico is also smelling really bad.

Archived