• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
July looks poised to once again bring early-month heat

earthlight

It was probably just fine with EWR and JFK. No one really cares about NYC because it's in its own microclimate that is not realistic with new york city proper and LGA is on the sound so not very representative either. Im sure most of the 5 boros were much closer to EWR and JFK temps yesterday.

OK. LOL.

LGA represents all of northern Queens very well. Except in winter, when its too warm.

Central Park represents Bronx, Northern Queens and other areas very well.

I had a high of 84 in Astoria and a high of 82 in Bayside, yesterday. So LGA's temp of 82 and Central Park's high of 82 matched up VERY well to two areas (Astoria and Bayside) that are worlds apart, in terms of urbanization and climate.

Just like JFK represents the south shore very well on a southerly breeze but terribly for north shore, same with LGA.

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK. LOL.

LGA represents all of northern Queens very well. Except in winter, whern its too warm.

Central Park represents Bronx, Northern Queens and other areas very well.

I had a high of 84 in Astoria and a high of 82 in Bayside, yesterday. So LGA's temp of 82 and Central Park's high of 82 matched up VERY well to 2 areas (Astoria and Bayside) that are worlds apart, in terms of urbanization and climate.

Just like JFK represents the south shore very well on a southerly breeze but terribly for north shore, same with LGA.

I dont know how well NYC represents anything but the foliage in the park-- remember last summer when they had a bazillion 89 degree days. We all know how hot that summer was and NYC's faulty placement was to blame for them not setting the new 90 degree day record. It's just not representative of the borough as a whole.

Most of us around here were 86-87 yesterday; it was weird to see a 5 degree spread, but it was something that happened last year too when EWR and JFK hit 101 and NYC was at 96 (the first day of the megaheatwave in early July.)

I dont know how well NYC represents anything but the foliage in the park-- remember last summer when they had a bazillion 89 degree days. We all know how hot that summer was and NYC's faulty placement was to blame for them not setting the new 90 degree day record. It's just representative of the borough as a whole.

The entire north shores of Queens, Brooklyn and Nassau County were in the low 80's yesterday. LGA and Central Park have had IDENTICAL temperatures this entire spring and summer. So both are representing MILLIONS of people accurately.

Bronx runs very close to the NYC and LGA thermometer also.

I dont know how well NYC represents anything but the foliage in the park-- remember last summer when they had a bazillion 89 degree days. We all know how hot that summer was and NYC's faulty placement was to blame for them not setting the new 90 degree day record. It's just not representative of the borough as a whole.

Most of us around here were 86-87 yesterday; it was weird to see a 5 degree spread, but it was something that happened last year too when EWR and JFK hit 101 and NYC was at 96 (the first day of the megaheatwave in early July.)

Most? Millions were not.

The entire north shores of Queens, Brooklyn and Nassau County were in the low 80's yesterday. LGA and Central Park have had IDENTICAL temperatures this entire spring and summer. So both are representing MILLIONS of people accurately.

Bronx runs very close to the NYC and LGA thermometer also.

So you don't think the foliage inhibits temperature during peak heating? I know why LGA was lower yesterday, they have water to the north and a northerly wind comes off that water. What is NYC's excuse?

And I'm pretty sure EWR has been considered the most representative local reporting station for a few years now (according to Ray.) That they were equaled by JFK only reinforces that and shows that with a land breeze both will have around the same temp.

It was pretty funny how NYC had three times as many 89 degree days as any other local reporting station last year and if you split the difference to make their 89 degree days come in line with the other reporting stations, it would have had as many 90 degree days as LGA.

So you don't think the foliage inhibits temperature during peak heating? I know why LGA was lower yesterday, they have water to the north and a northerly wind comes off that water. What is NYC's excuse?

The entire north shore of Brooklyn, Queens and Nassau County sit on the water and more then half of Brooklyn and Queens are influenced by northerly winds.

You are acting like LGA is a wrong representation.

LGA is similar to towns like Flushing, Whitestone, Bayside, Jackson Heights, Astoria, Elmhurst, Douglaston, Little Neck and dozens more that cover MILLIONS of people.

I made it to 87 degrees here yesterday due to the good offshore flow.

And I'm pretty sure EWR has been considered the most representative local reporting station for a few years now (according to Ray.) That they were equaled by JFK only reinforces that and shows that with a land breeze both will have around the same temp.

That was one day. JFK represents areas affected by ocean. JFK's temps are totally wrong for Northern half of NYC, including Manhattan.

JFK gets affected by sea breezes when most, away from ocean do not.

That was one day. JFK represents areas affected by ocean. JFK's temps are totally wrong for Northern half of NYC, including Manhattan.

JFK gets affected by sea breezes when most, away from ocean do not.

Most of the people actually live near the ocean, so a point can be made that JFK actually represents more people, but aside from that, it isnt just one day, this happens every time there is a northerly or northwesterly wind.

Most of the people actually live near the ocean, so a point can be made that JFK actually represents more people, but aside from that, it isnt just one day, this happens every time there is a northerly or northwesterly wind.

What? :arrowhead:

Northern half of Brooklyn, Queens, all of NYC and northern half of all of LI do NOT have the affects from ocean that JFK gets.

And that is MILLIONS of people right there.

The entire north shore of Brooklyn, Queens and Nassau County sit on the water and more then half of Brooklyn and Queens are influenced by northerly winds.

You are acting like LGA is a wrong representation.

LGA is similar to towns like Flushing, Whitestone, Bayside, Jackson Heights, Astoria, Elmhurst, Douglaston, Little Neck and dozens more that cover MILLIONS of people.

Brooklyn doesn't have a north shore lol.

LGA and NYC both have known discrepancies for different reasons... LGA overnight temps have a known warm bias and NYC has a known bias due to foliage. EWR is actually the most representative of the local recording stations and when there is an offshore west or northwest (or north) wind, JFK is also.

What? :arrowhead:

Northern half of Brooklyn, Queens, all of NYC and northern half of all of LI do NOT have the affects from ocean that JFK gets.

And that is MILLIONS of people right there.

I know that, but I'm saying that the larger population lives near the ocean. You can't include Brooklyn in this at all as it has no north shore and has temps much more in line with JFK (ask Ant, he always uses JFK obs.)

Aside from all this, the temp issues at NYC and LGA are well known.

Brooklyn doesn't have a north shore lol.

OK. Im out of this conversation.

Brooklyn has a northern half that doesnt get affected by the ocean. Williamsburg, Park Slop, etc.

When I say north shore, I am not talking about the LI sound.

I can drive to Brooklyn in 4 minutes from my house in Astoria. I can assure you Astoria is on the north shore.

I know that, but I'm saying that the larger population lives near the ocean. You can't include Brooklyn in this at all as it has no north shore and has temps much more in line with JFK (ask Ant, he always uses JFK obs.)

Anthony lives on the southern shore of Brooklyn.

Brooklyn has a northern area that does NOT get affected by the ocean.

Are you OK today?

Anthony lives on the southern shore of Brooklyn.

Brooklyn has a northern area that does NOT get affected by the ocean.

Are you OK today?

That has nothing to do with what we're talking about-- you're trying to change the discussion, man. There was no affect from the ocean yesterday.... the wind was offshore. Are YOU ok lol? If we look at the PNS from "northern Brooklyn" I'm sure we would see that they were more in the 85-87 camp than the 81-83 camp.

Ok. So I should look at JFK for my temp? LOL! JFK is the least accurate of all 3 stations (NYC, LGA, EWR) for Manhattan, nortern Queens, northern Brooklyn, Bronx and the entire 100 mile north shore of LI.

That has nothing to do with what we're talking about-- you're trying to change the discussion, man. There was no affect from the ocean yesterday.... the wind was offshore. Are YOU ok lol?

The northerly winds affect northern Brooklyn, northern Queens and all of the north shore of LI. They stay cooler do to the water (Brooklyn has the river, Queens has river and sound and LI has sound. LGA has no affect from sound on a north or nw wind. LGA is on the EAST river.

NYC, away from cement and train factories is colder on a northerly wind then JFK is.

Northern Manhattan is affected on northerlies as it sits on water also.

New Yorks observing stations are almost always a degree or three lower than the others on warm days.. The reasons vary but I take them to be typically accurate for their respective areas.

That being said, there have been times when the NYC observation is a total joke...when every other station is so much warmer. I don't know how they let it slide on days like that.

I just looked up one real quick-- Park Slope, Brooklyn had a high of 85 yesterday.

http://classic.wunde...ay=29&year=2011

I said the entire north facing areas were all 82-84 yesterday.

Here is Williamsburg, Brooklyn, which sits on the north shore of Brooklyn. affected by the east river. High of 82 yesterday.

http://classic.wunde...ry=Williamsburg, New York&wuSelect=WEATHER

New Yorks observing stations are almost always a degree or three lower than the others on warm days.. The reasons vary but I take them to be typically accurate for their respective areas.

That being said, there have been times when the NYC observation is a total joke...when every other station is so much warmer. I don't know how they let it slide on days like that.

Thanks, John. I think the NYC issue is due to foliage. I just looked at two Brooklyn reporting PNS and both had a high around 85 yesterday, so I'll assume both are fairly accurate (Park Slope and Crown Heights are both well away from the water.)

I'll do a quick scan of Manhattan reporting stations (I'd rather not call it "NYC" because New York City extends well beyond one little island.)

Thanks, John. I think the NYC issue is due to foliage. I just looked at two Brooklyn reporting PNS and both had a high around 85 yesterday, so I'll assume both are fairly accurate (Park Slope and Crown Heights are both well away from the water.)

I'll do a quick scan of Manhattan reporting stations (I'd rather not call it "NYC" because New York City extends well beyond one little island.)

When Central Park and LGA match up almost to an exact, they are accurate.

Central Park and LGA have had almost identical temperatures, the past 60 days. Both are +1.2 for June and were exactly the same in May.

If you see Central Park much colder then LGA, then you know Central Park is being affected by its trees and microclimate.

You need to know how to use these stations.

Archived