Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Hudson Valley Thread

IrishRob17

JB on Accuweather:

" U.S. MODELS ABOUT 50 TO 75 TOO FAR EAST Looking at the JMA and Euro has me confident in the ideas, but some adjustments are needed to big city snow amounts, though the heaviest will be west of these cities from D.C. to NYC. The I-95 cities are looking at a 6-12 inch storm with the storm starting as rain then going to a heavy, thumping snow. Snow amounts over 6 inches should reach back as far west as Beckley to Johnstown to Binghamton, where GFS amounts are much lighter, then northeast to north of Eastport, Maine. The storm will probably have some 18-inch amounts over Pennsylvania west of PHL then in southern New England."

• Replies 991
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

JB on Accuweather:

" U.S. MODELS ABOUT 50 TO 75 TOO FAR EAST Looking at the JMA and Euro has me confident in the ideas, but some adjustments are needed to big city snow amounts, though the heaviest will be west of these cities from D.C. to NYC. The I-95 cities are looking at a 6-12 inch storm with the storm starting as rain then going to a heavy, thumping snow. Snow amounts over 6 inches should reach back as far west as Beckley to Johnstown to Binghamton, where GFS amounts are much lighter, then northeast to north of Eastport, Maine. The storm will probably have some 18-inch amounts over Pennsylvania west of PHL then in southern New England."

There has been some talk in the NYC thread saying that this could still trend a bit more west. We'll see

JB on Accuweather:

" U.S. MODELS ABOUT 50 TO 75 TOO FAR EAST Looking at the JMA and Euro has me confident in the ideas,

JB plays the JMA card :yikes:

I never thought highly of it but someone mentioned in the NYC thread last night that within 72 hours its very good. Who knows if thats correct but we'll see shortly.

]MODEL DIAGNOSTIC DISCUSSION

NWS HYDROMETEOROLOGICAL PREDICTION CENTER CAMP SPRINGS MD

140 PM EST TUE JAN 25 2011

VALID JAN 25/1200 UTC THRU JAN 29/0000 UTC

...SEE NOUS42 KWNO ADMNFD FOR THE STATUS OF THE UPPER AIR

INGEST...

12Z FINAL MODEL PREFERENCES

ANY INITIALIZATION ERRORS WITH THE NAM AND GFS DO NOT APPEAR TO

SIGNIFICANTLY IMPACT THEIR SOLUTIONS.

...LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM LIFTING UP THE ATLANTIC COAST DAYS 1 AND

PREFERENCE: GEM GLOBAL OR UKMET

THE NAM AND GFS TRACK THIS CYCLONE EAST OF THE ECMWF...WHICH POPS

THE CONSOLIDATED SURFACE LOW RIGHT ON THE DELMARVA SHORE 00Z/27

THURSDAY. THE GEM GLOBAL AND UKMET FORCE THE LOW JUST OFF THE

SOUTHERN DELMARVA PENINSULA BY THE START OF DAY 2...WHICH FITS

CLIMATOLOGY THE BEST FOR THE SYNOPTIC PATTERN WHICH HAS FINALLY

SETTLED OUT AFTER DAYS OF DISPARATE MODEL SOLUTIONS.

Here is my best guess for this upcoming storm as far as accumulations go for E NYS. I also included an educated hypothesis for 5 selected cities from the Upper HV down to NYC. May or may not update this pending 0z runs Tonight...

post-538-0-03911900-1295991134.png

Thanks for the input... This looks very reasonable based on where things stand.. I am personally thinking 6" is a good forecast for the SE areas of the NWS Albany forecast area.

I had a bad feeling about getting screwed on this storm even though i called for 6" - I think i could bust here and it might never get further north than southern Putnam. We will see.

It just amazes me that the same areas of NJ are getting hit again and again... What a winter for them down there.. At some point, this pattern HAS to change to something more climatologically normal.. These sharp cut-offs are really miserable when you are on the wrong side of them.. We are doing much better than last year at this point, but I really feel for the folks in PA who just can't catch a break.

I had a bad feeling about getting screwed on this storm even though i called for 6" - I think i could bust here and it might never get further north than southern Putnam. We will see.

It just amazes me that the same areas of NJ are getting hit again and again... What a winter for them down there.. At some point, this pattern HAS to change to something more climatologically normal.. These sharp cut-offs are really miserable when you are on the wrong side of them.. We are doing much better than last year at this point, but I really feel for the folks in PA who just can't catch a break.

All good points but I really can't complain with the 15" or so solid snowpack from various storms that I have at home. It's been a while since I've had that.

I can see the sun here!!! lol

Back home it looked like it was ready to snow, the air was so moist my Pilot was covered in "dew" @19F. The only reason it didn't freeze is its covered in salt

The sun was poking out here in Goshen as well but I did count 3 snowflakes about 45 minutes ago :arrowhead:

NYZ067-068-270515-

/O.CON.KOKX.WW.Y.0005.000000T0000Z-110127T1100Z/

ORANGE-PUTNAM-

1112 AM EST WED JAN 26 2011

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 AM EST THURSDAY...

A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 AM EST THURSDAY.

* LOCATIONS...ORANGE AND PUTNAM COUNTIES.

* HAZARDS...SNOW.

* ACCUMULATIONS...4 TO 8 INCHES...HIGHEST ACROSS EASTERN PUTNAM.

* TIMING...LIGHT TO MODERATE SNOW THROUGH EARLY AFTERNOON. LIGHT

WINTRY MIX OF SNOW AND FREEZING RAIN DURING MID TO LATE :unsure:

AFTERNOON. MODERATE SNOW LATE TODAY INTO TONIGHT.

* IMPACTS...TRAVEL EXPECTED TO BE HAZARDOUS DURING THE EVENING

COMMUTE AND THURSDAY MORNING COMMUTE...WITH THE HEAVIEST SNOW

LIKELY FALLING THIS EVENING INTO THE OVERNIGHT TONIGHT.

For the lower valley

mcd0048.gif

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 0048

NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK

1012 AM CST WED JAN 26 2011

AREAS AFFECTED...NERN NJ/NYC METRO AREA AND LONG ISLAND/SRN AND ERN

CT/RI

CONCERNING...WINTER MIXED PRECIPITATION

VALID 261612Z - 262015Z

ONGOING SNOWFALL WITH EMBEDDED AREAS OF HIGHER RATES FROM NERN NJ

THROUGH NEW YORK CITY METRO AREA...ACROSS LONG ISLAND TO SRN EXTENT

OF CT WILL PERSIST THROUGH 18Z. SNOWFALL RATES /UP TO 1 IN PER HR/

WILL SPREAD NEWD ACROSS ERN CT INTO RI THROUGH EARLY AFTERNOON.

MEANWHILE...THE NEW YORK CITY AREA SWWD INTO NERN/CENTRAL NJ MAY

TRANSITION TO A BRIEF 1-2 HOUR PERIOD OF SLEET AND/OR FREEZING RAIN

MIXED WITH LIGHT SNOW BEFORE PRECIPITATION DIMINISHES DURING THE

EARLY-MID AFTERNOON.

AT 1545Z...REGIONAL RADAR IMAGERY SHOWED A BAND OF WINTRY

PRECIPITATION...MAINLY IN THE FORM OF SNOW...EXTENDING FROM BWI/PHL

NEWD TO NYC AREA INTO SWRN NEW ENGLAND. ENELY SURFACE WINDS ACROSS

THIS REGION ARE EXPECTED TO MAINTAIN SUB-FREEZING TEMPERATURES.

FORECAST SOUNDINGS SUGGEST AN INCREASE IN LOWER TROPOSPHERIC

TEMPERATURES TO ABOVE 0 C IN THE 750-850 MB LAYER FROM CENTRAL NJ TO

THE NYC AREA...RESULTING IN VERTICAL THERMAL STRUCTURE SUPPORTIVE OF

A TRANSITION TO SOME SLEET/FREEZING RAIN MIXED WITH LIGHT SNOW BY

17-18Z. THESE THERMODYNAMIC TRENDS ARE SUPPORTED BY THE RUC AND 09Z

SREF.

FARTHER NE ACROSS SRN NEW ENGLAND...FORECAST SOUNDINGS SUGGEST THE

VERTICAL THERMAL PROFILE WILL REMAIN COLD ENOUGH FOR ALL SNOW

THROUGH MID AFTERNOON /20Z/...AND THEN A POTENTIAL FOR SLEET AND/OR

FREEZING RAIN MIXING IN WITH THE SNOW.

..PETERS.. 01/26/2011

This sucks at 9am I was just getting into Ramsey and hit heavy snow so I came back home to Monroe to work from home. Just finally getting light snow here now. Clouds are lowering so hopefully we get into some better stuff soon. What happened to the days when NYC And NJ got 6 inhes of slop while HV got all snow and a foot? LOL. Oh well I can't complain as we have still done great here this winter. But I feel for you guys further north. Still plenty of winter to go though.

This sucks at 9am I was just getting into Ramsey and hit heavy snow so I came back home to Monroe to work from home. Just finally getting light snow here now. Clouds are lowering so hopefully we get into some better stuff soon. What happened to the days when NYC And NJ got 6 inhes of slop while HV got all snow and a foot? LOL. Oh well I can't complain as we have still done great here this winter. But I feel for you guys further north. Still plenty of winter to go though.

Those days are long gone my friend...

And in the past 20 minutes I've seen numbers 4, 5, and 6 and they brought their friends too, very light snow has commenced in Goshen, probably won't last long though.

:thumbsup:

This one isn't for us,. Its backed off a lot here in Rockland, light snow now. Temps seem to be around 32, most of what came down this moring is quickly melting away

Archived