• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Thunderstorms and the shower

weatherwiz

I know you're not really supposed to take a shower during thunderstorms but there is something I need cleared up.

If you are in the shower during a thunderstorm and it lightnings do you only get shocked if lightning hits the house or nearby or what?

If you have any exposed plumbing is the real concern; lighting directly or indirectly discharging on metalic plumbing will cause a problem if you happen to be handling the levers at the time the strike takes place. If you are standing in the shower, it is a myth that the flow of electrons will come through the water. There is sufficient breaks in the stream to allow standard atmospheric insolation - the same way it is a myth that you if you pee on an electrical fense you'll get shocked that way, as well. However, like all lightning, it can arc from the nozzle to your person if the strike is direct and charged enough. So it is generally a good idea to stay away from plumbing during active CG.

Most houses have enclosed plumbing that arrives underground, making it that much more unlikely that shock or electrocution will take place. You are actually more at risk standing out on your porch watching the storm; as well as talking on the antiquated land-line telephones.

If you have any exposed plumbing is the real concern; lighting directly or indirectly discharging on metalic plumbing will cause a problem if you happen to be handling the levers at the time the strike takes place. If you are standing in the shower, it is a myth that the flow of electrons will come through the water. There is sufficient breaks in the stream to allow standard atmospheric insolation - the same way it is a myth that you if you pee on an electrical fense you'll get shocked that way, as well. However, like all lightning, it can arc from the nozzle to your person if the strike is direct and charged enough. So it is generally a good idea to stay away from plumbing during active CG.

Most houses have enclosed plumbing that arrives underground, making it that much more unlikely that shock or electrocution will take place. You are actually more at risk standing out on your porch watching the storm; as well as talking on the antiquated land-line telephones.

Thanks for clearing this up for me...I've always wondered this but never really looked into the correct answer.

Archived