• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Taipei Tornado.

You guys, I noticed the weird rotational characteristics also-- that the parent cloud seem to be rotating the opposite direction of the vortex-- but just chalked it up to my lack of experience evaluating this type of phenomenon.

As someone else said, the darn thing hardly moved, and it seemed to spend most of its 2-min lifespan over a park or green. I researched online to see if there was any damage, and apparently there was very little, probably owing to the lack of motion. An SUV was picked up and thrown onto some motorcycles, but that's about it.

You guys, I noticed the weird rotational characteristics also-- that the parent cloud seem to be rotating the opposite direction of the vortex-- but just chalked it up to my lack of experience evaluating this type of phenomenon.

As someone else said, the darn thing hardly moved, and it seemed to spend most of its 2-min lifespan over a park or green. I researched online to see if there was any damage, and apparently there was very little, probably owing to the lack of motion. An SUV was picked up and thrown onto some motorcycles, but that's about it.

I wonder what the radar signature from this looked like.

don't know if you guys have seen this but this one's much closer (i'd shi!t myself if i was that person taking video LOL...)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PaXT9J9KfQ

i also found a set of radar images from CWB (China Weather Bureau) on another forum:

2011-05-12_1250.MOS3NC.jpg

2011-05-12_1300.MOS3NC.jpg

2011-05-12_1310.MOS3NC.jpg

2011-05-12_1320.MOS3NC.jpg

taken from 1250 to 120 pm local time (linked directly from CWB)...

here's the forum where i got them:

http://www.stormtrac...wan-May-11-2011

:pepsi:

The last video shows its strength really, it was fairly weak. I doubt winds were higher than 80 mph around it. It was sitting right on top of a building and did no damage to it.

:lol:

I noticed that, too. The core of the circulation practically stalled over that building, and you don't even see debris flying. Looks like an EF0.

No one builds them twisters like the USA. B)

:lol:

I noticed that, too. The core of the circulation practically stalled over that building, and you don't even see debris flying. Looks like an EF0.

No one builds them twisters like the USA. B)

Actually, Bangladesh and surrounding areas have been known to get EF-5's and this is the time of year before the westerlies shift north of the Himalayas.

Steve

Actually, Bangladesh and surrounding areas have been known to get EF-5's and this is the time of year before the westerlies shift north of the Himalayas.

Steve

Oh, hey, I'm not denying other places don't sometimes get good tornadoes-- I was kinda joking-- but still, no one can deny the superior hawtness of the American-made ones. B)

P.S. Since I live part time in Eastern Europe, I've taken a small interest in the tornado history of this region. A significant tornado hit Moscow in 1904 and did major damage. What's interesting is that it's been slowly downgraded over the years. When I first read about it in Wikipedia, it was believed to be an F4. A year later, I saw the estimate was revised down to F3. Now they're saying it may have only been an EF2. Bottom line is I never know what to think Re: intensity estimates of historic tornadoes in other parts of the world.

Steve

We were recently talking about Bangladesh in the Central subforum. When you see soundings like this it's not surprising that they can get devastating tornadoes.

051396skt.jpg

shearthermo.gif

Archived