Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Winter 2011-2012

ORH_wxman

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty good, I think. A lot better than I hoped. Back to good ol' New England on Saturday! This winter is going to be legendary boys

Although I think I'll edge you out on ENSO predictions, we both have similar thoughts about the winter. -QBO/low solar/weak ENSO/-PDO...sign of cold/snowy times in North America. We also should have a bit more cold air to work with given that global SSTs are still below average despite the decay of La Niña in springtime, indicating that the globe is cooler than it has been in recent times. The only thing I hope is that the PV doesn't get too strong with the combination of a two-year cold ENSO event and the solar minimum; a colder than normal PV didn't stop us in 10-11 because we had such a monster -NAO block, but it could become an issue since stratospheric temperatures have been running abnormally cold since last winter. The difference between a successful Niña winter like 10-11 and a crap one like 05-06 can sometimes hinge on very small variations in the interaction between the PV and the Aleutian High. In our better winters, the Aleutian High becomes more amplified and develops a Kamchatka/AK block which forces the PV into Western Canada or the Canadian Prairies, bringing cold air into the Northern Tier. In the poorer winters like 05-06, the Aleutian High is more zonal/horizontal in terms of the area of greatest 500mb height anomalies, and this allows the PV to settle into AK and the Bering Strait more with the High staying further south, cutting off North America's cold air source.

Also, the Newfoundland cold pool/tripole configuration in the Atlantic has been eroded a bit. There's still some semblance of a cold pool, but the differences are fairly striking compared to January 2011. Having a Newfoundland cold pool is weakly correlated to a -NAO/50-50 Low, which improves our chances of Nor'easters. SSTs right now aren't particularly important since there's so much time left, but I might have to reduce my predictions of blocking if the SST pattern in the North Atlantic deteriorates further.

Latest SSTA:

post-475-0-23715400-1311897396.gif

January SSTA:

post-475-0-47874800-1311897416.gif

Here are the composite maps to back up my thinking about the Aleutian ridge...Last winter saw the Aleutian High develop into an AK block, which gave Canada northerly flow off the Pole and kept our temperatures below normal, despite the semblance of a SE ridge emerging later in winter. February had the strongest gradient pattern as the Canadian cold air source met resistance from the SE ridge.

Winter 10-11 500mb anomalies, notice the favorable position of the Aleutian High:

post-475-0-97245700-1311897633.png

Winter 99-00 was the warmest on record in the United States, and much of this was due to an unfavorable Aleutian High....notice how far south the ridge is, allowing a PV to sit over the Bering Strait and Alaska, which creates strong southerly flow into Canada and limits any arctic air. Here is the 500mb map:

post-475-0-95211000-1311897697.png

First thought in my mind looking at that SSTA map ... 2008. Striking resemblance.

Would be a great analog aside from opposing forces in the stratosphere.

Re: Atlantic tripole, notice the cold anomalies in the eastern Atlantic. Currents will spread this cold pool westward through the fall.

First thought in my mind looking at that SSTA map ... 2008. Striking resemblance.

Re: Atlantic tripole, notice the cold anomalies in the eastern Atlantic. Currents will spread this cold pool westward through the fall.

Exactly right on the tripole, the current map can change drastically in a week . One strong fall coastal.

I'm going with an '08-'09 type of winter.....80" (75-85") IMBY.

Sam, well thought out. You presented it nicely. Of course, we are pulling for you.

well done.

you headed into long-range/climate forecasting?

Thanks guys!

I'm really interested in seasonal forecasting on time scales like this. Kind of hard to find that line of research in grad schools. It's there, but it's the climate change and severe weather research that get the most attention. A lot of people dismiss it as very low skill ... which it is lol, but that's where everything starts

Thanks guys!

I'm really interested in seasonal forecasting on time scales like this. Kind of hard to find that line of research in grad schools. It's there, but it's the climate change and severe weather research that get the most attention. A lot of people dismiss it as very low skill ... which it is lol, but that's where everything starts

Well there's money to be had there if you're good at it. You've definitely stepped it up several notches recently. Im definitely more interested in short range stuff but always appreciate the time folks put into their long range efforts.

Thanks guys!

Yea, your average person doesn't really care about what the weather is gonna be like 6 months from now. They are more worried about how much rain were gonna get tonight and whens it going to stop for their Sunday plans.

More like heavy heavy diapers....literally...lol.

I'm going to laugh so hard when you tell us you're going to be a daddy. It'll probably happen this Winter. It's going to be a severe one and you'll have plenty of time to slip up. No more Smithwicks for you, just lots of crying in the middle of the night. Sometimes the baby will cry too.lol

I'm going to laugh so hard when you tell us you're going to be a daddy. It'll probably happen this Winter. It's going to be a severe one and you'll have plenty of time to slip up. No more Smithwicks for you, just lots of crying in the middle of the night. Sometimes the baby will cry too.lol

LOL, I know what's in for me. It's all good.

It is good. Once you realize your foot loose and fancy free days are over. What are your early thoughts on this upcoming winter?

LOL, foot loose? I was never very nimble on the floor, althought I may have thought I was after a few gin & tonics.

As far as this winter, I think it looks good at first glance, but we're early in the game. I'd like to see how September and October go.

Ah its nice to be foot loose and fancy free again. Many many coastals incoming.

My friend Pete is here from AK, he' a bachelor and sometimes I'm envious of his ability to just take off for the best snow. However,it doesn't outweigh the satisfaction of being a Dad. Lots of coastals sounds perfect to me. Your forecasting has been spot on this summer, hope it continues.

LOL, foot loose? I was never very nimble on the floor, althought I may have thought I was after a few gin & tonics.

As far as this winter, I think it looks good at first glance, but we're early in the game. I'd like to see how September and October go.

As always...reasons to be optimistic and pessimistic at this pt. But the signals can be so deceiving if the atmosphere wants them to be.

Look how much last winter stung for the long range guys.

As always...reasons to be optimistic and pessimistic at this pt. But the signals can be so deceiving if the atmosphere wants them to be.

Look how much last winter stung for the long range guys.

Last night I was driving home at twilight and I saw geese flying in a V formation. Ihave never seen that this early. More than enough evidence to make a severe winter call.

Archived