joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2011-2012

ORH_wxman

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ginx had some of the best weenie posts this season, when he saw his shed buried in snow. It was almost as good as some of Earthlight's posts during the Boxing Day storm.

I drew a line with a sharpie on the shed, almost power washed it off yesterday. That was heaven, up the hill near Foster was insane, best 6 weeks ever.

I've never actually been off the highway and into Union. Since there's nothing there, I've never had any reason to go there. My friend across the street just a job for next school year as the principal of the school. I think the town has like 700 population lol

Congrats to your neighbor! lol I like to take rides up there if it looks like snow and it's raining down in The Springs.

There's lots to do in Union if you like the outdoors. Lots of hiking, fishing and in the winter, snowmobiling or cross country skiing. There's a famous restuarant up there too and many good picnic spots....you should take your family out some time.

I drew a line with a sharpie on the shed, almost power washed it off yesterday. That was heaven, up the hill near Foster was insane, best 6 weeks ever.

Yeah well you had every right to weenie out..lol.

I'm still a littler bitter about the ending, but yeah those 6 weeks were nuts.

Congrats to your neighbor! lol I like to take rides up there if it looks like snow and it's raining down in The Springs.

There's lots to do in Union if you like the outdoors. Lots of hiking, fishing and in the winter, snowmobiling or cross country skiing. There's a famous restuarant up there too and many good picnic spots....you should take your family out some time.

I got off on weenie road Rt 190 before. The beginning of that road right off 84, is like 1200'. It's a real nice drive from 84 into Enfield.

Yeah well you had every right to weenie out..lol.

I'm still a littler bitter about the ending, but yeah those 6 weeks were nuts.

The ending sucked, the Browning Newsletter nailed last winter, she extensively talked about those six weeks as historic but would flip quick. I did not believe her in Dec but man she nailed it.

Yea real nice place, new salesman here at work is from there, said he gets lots more than Tolland.

Grew up in coastal RI, upgraded to interior RI, upgraded again to interior elevated CT but still get agina from marine air. Not jealous of anyone in SNE but those long winters in NNE are what I aim for.

Moosup isn't what I'd consider a big upgrade from PVD or wherever you lived on the coastal plain in RI. How much do you average there, like 45" or so?

That's because you squeaked out a decent '09/'10. Payback is a mofo. :devilsmiley:

How much did Dave get in 09-10?

I'm always shocked when I hear the 30-40" amounts from people in snowy locales that winter...whether it's you in Boston, a friend in Canton, NY, etc. What a weird winter. To think some people in VA/MD had more snow in 5 days than Boston or Upstate NY got all season.

I got off on weenie road Rt 190 before. The beginning of that road right off 84, is like 1200'. It's a real nice drive from 84 into Enfield.

Yeah....I think 190 & I-84 is around 1,000' and it climbs to around 1,200' at the junction of SR 89. You can get a little higher than that on Stickney Hill Rd, but only if you really need to weenie it out. It's funny to think that low spots in Union are the high spots in other towns (*ahem*Tolland*ahem). It's downhill from there to Stafford Springs and bottoms out around 450'. I live above the town at 650' which helps. 190 climbs back up to around 1,000' before going down into the CT River Valley.

Moosup isn't what I'd consider a big upgrade from PVD or wherever you lived on the coastal plain in RI. How much do you average there, like 45" or so?

I'm always shocked when I hear the 30-40" amounts from people in snowy locales that winter...whether it's you in Boston, a friend in Canton, NY, etc. What a weird winter. To think some people in VA/MD had more snow in 5 days than Boston or Upstate NY got all season.

Yeah we just got punked in that winter. What are you gonna do.

I actually enjoyed that winter from a forecasting standpoint. Aside from Feb 10th 2010, I did pretty well that winter on the East Coast.

:drunk:

LOL socks if you only knew how much difference driving down my hill one mile is. I am at 500 feet, in Hopkinton RI I was at 115 feet,in Westerly 15 feet. I live one house from Sterling and 1.5 miles from Foster RI. Snow depth days blow away any place I lived prior also.

Yeah....I think 190 & I-84 is around 1,000' and it climbs to around 1,200' at the junction of SR 89. You can get a little higher than that on Stickney Hill Rd, but only if you really need to weenie it out. It's funny to think that low spots in Union are the high spots in other towns (*ahem*Tolland*ahem). It's downhill from there to Stafford Springs and bottoms out around 450'. I live above the town at 650' which helps. 190 climbs back up to around 1,000' before going down into the CT River Valley.

1,100 feet is the high point in Tolland on Bald Hill..About 2 mins from my house

Lol, he probably averages like 18" more than PVD...he's not too far from N Foster RI which averages 59" per year. Moosup at 550 feet probably averages like 54-55" per year.

I just was looking at that lol..what an awful model the Euro is long range now. Ens look nothing like that. there's not even any chilly air in Canada

There actually is a good amount of chilly air in Canada. Lots of troughing right now.

I posted it more for sh*ts and giggles, but the colder air will not be far.

Lol, he probably averages like 18" more than PVD...he's not too far from N Foster RI which averages 59" per year. Moosup at 550 feet probably averages like 54-55" per year.

Well I just don't see that as being that much....it's like if I moved from the South Shore of LI to here. Sure, you get a little more winter, but nothing mind-blowing. I definitely wasn't thinking 55"/year though, but 600' isn't bad for that area. All these elevations seem sort of crummy though after spending time out west...like great, I live at 350', ooh let's move up to 600' for an upgrade LOL.

Well I just don't see that as being that much....it's like if I moved from the South Shore of LI to here. Sure, you get a little more winter, but nothing mind-blowing. I definitely wasn't thinking 55"/year though, but 600' isn't bad for that area. All these elevations seem sort of crummy though after spending time out west...like great, I live at 350', ooh let's move up to 600' for an upgrade LOL.

It's all relative though. That's a pretty significant deviation in terms of snowfall departure for the area.

There actually is a good amount of chilly air in Canada. Lots of troughing right now.

I posted it more for sh*ts and giggles, but the colder air will not be far.

That trough sort of comes out of nowhere though...

There does seem to be a tendency for more of a +PNA in the longer-range, or at least a block over the N Plains/High Plains that could bring down some cooler area after the warm July 4th conditions. The 12z ECM does look overdone, however. Would be rare to have 850s down to like 4C here in mid-July...could see some near record cold nights in the upper 40s/low 50s for SNE if that verified.

It's all relative though. That's a pretty significant deviation in terms of snowfall departure for the area.

It's definitely an improvement, I'm surprised he averages that much since he's not far from the SE CT disaster area. As you say, there's a sharp gradient between the coastal plain in SE CT and the hills of NW RI, which see over 60"/year.

However, gaining 18" of snow of year is like my moving from JFK area (averages 23"/year about) to my area in the higher hills (just shy of 40"/year)...that's a noticeable difference but wouldn't exactly send me into a snow hysteria. An upgrade was when I moved from here to central VT LOL. I downgraded by moving back but still got 70" so I guess it all works out...

I think a 50-60% improvement is pretty significant, but I guess its relative.

I'd probably kill myself after 2 or 3 winters in Dobbs Ferry...and someone from 2000 feet in New Hampshire would do that here after 2-3 winters.

I'd probably kill myself after 2 or 3 winters in Dobbs Ferry...and someone from 2000 feet in New Hampshire would do that here after 2-3 winters.

lol this is true..... I think the further south winters typically happen about once every 10 years or so.... I remember you said how long island got more snow than you in 03-04

I am happy but did not base my move on snow but surely enjoy it. Still close enough to get good winds and a NE fetch without downsloping. Plus far enough away to not get NYC smog or stifling heat day after day.

I am happy but did not base my move on snow but surely enjoy it. Still close enough to get good winds and a NE fetch without downsloping. Plus far enough away to not get NYC smog or stifling heat day after day.

Yeah the hills in E CT are definitely a buffer for the torch-tastic conditions that occur in SE CT in the winter and the elevation and longitude helps in avoiding those nasty summer time heat waves like is more common to the SW. You always see a huge gradient in winter driving up 395 from Foxwoods to the Moosup exit and past Brooklyn.

Archived