• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Weekend cutoff 4/16/2011

Mikehobbyst

I just had well over 2" of rainfall yesterday and today when several bands of elevated T-storms stalled over us for a time.

This wet April pattern thus far blows. :thumbsdown:

Too much rain...April feels like it's been cold even though NYC is +1 for the month, definitely has that subjective chilly feeling with all the gray skies and sea breezes.

OVC

47.2/47

0.91" total rainfall

Hoping for nice days tomorrow and Friday to dry the vegetable garden out, or the dreaded slugs will come back.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

latest NAM has 1.25"+ of rain for the city and 1.5"+ west of about Rt. 23. Based on the high res WRF from e-wall, looks like scattered thunderstorms/showers out ahead of a main heavy band of convection. A pretty nice squall line gets going out in PA but more convection develops out ahead of it over WV and the whole thing more or less forms a blob of heavy rain. Philly on south looks to get raked though.

f66.gif

The elevated thunderstorms last night I have to say were cool last night so I wouldn't complain about that. The storms brushed my area so I didn't get the heaviest rain but was good to get some of that thunder and lightning though. Of course I would like to get some nice sunny days in the 60's which will have next week. With April 82 analogy is by far compare to this spring and that year was such rare occurring and I hope I don't see that ever because snow storms/blizzards happen when they should happen in the winter from December through March.

You can remove March from that list-- we rarely get big snowstorms like that in March.

how does 0z euro look for the storm? decent amount of rain on nam and gfs...

I didn't see the EC, but I can tell you that with a 75 kt LLJ in place, PW over 1 inch and good 850 mb theta-e advection, we can expect at least an inch of qpf, maybe more. Looks like it will be a quick mover tho as the LLJ is over the region by later SAT and moves E before midnight on SAT night. SUN should be dry. Convection is possible (elevated) with this front so with that, there could be some enhanced rainfall rates in the very least. The main window is after 18z on SAT thru 4z on SUN.

I didn't see the EC, but I can tell you that with a 75 kt LLJ in place, PW over 1 inch and good 850 mb theta-e advection, we can expect at least an inch of qpf, maybe more. Looks like it will be a quick mover tho as the LLJ is over the region by later SAT and moves E before midnight on SAT night. SUN should be dry. Convection is possible (elevated) with this front so with that, there could be some enhanced rainfall rates in the very least. The main window is after 18z on SAT thru 4z on SUN.

cool :thumbsup:

There is an insane amount of large scale synoptic forcing. Lifting is through the roof at all levels. Wind profile shows major veering through the lower atmosphere... Also, 500 mb heights crash and we are sandwiched between two jet streaks and are in a favorable position with major upper level divergence. We should see some insane rainfall rates with this system if the models are correct.

omeg.png

barb.png

From Upton, "HAVE GONE WITH A VERY CONSERVATIVE MIXING

DOWN OF AROUND 40 PERCENT OF THE 950 WIND. "

40%??? Big bust potential especially after the Tuesday night event over performed. I think they are ridding the inversion train a little to hard.

Agreed. Look for wind damage.

The winds are going to really over perform tonight. I can already tell the NWS is under doing the wind threat. Without any precip/convection winds are already cranking along the coast.

Well I think the wind advisory will probably do justice for the over all synoptic wind threat. I don't see widespread 40 mph sustained and 58+mph wind gusts outside of convection tonight. And any damaging winds with a low-topped squall line tonight will be covered by severe thunderstorm warnings.

Just from looking at the SE thread all yesterday and last night while I was tracking the severe weather outbreak they all said the models did a very poor job in terms of QPF amounts. In some cases, they recieved double the mean forecast. Just something to keep in mind. Whole area is under a flood watch and for good reason.

Archived