• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
EPAC Tropical Action 2011

That's interesting, Steve. I had actually hypothesized to Josh in an email this week that the WPAC would be very difficult to have annular storms due to the warm SSTs. Do you know which annular storms near Okinawa?

Typhoons Jelawat and Rusa I have seen referenced as annular. From the S hemi, Dora 2007 might have been a candidate.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There were a number before those two (which also occurred before the term annular was coined). It would mean looking back through the ATCRs to find the cases but I know of a couple of instances where Okinawa found itself inside some VERY large eyes.

Steve

Typhoons Jelawat and Rusa I have seen referenced as annular. From the S hemi, Dora 2007 might have been a candidate.

I distinctly remember Typhoon Jelawat back in 2000... fascinating storm in the West Pacific. It developed annular characteristics for 2-3 days and moved very slowly... but it remained at typhoon strength or greater thanks to very favorable upper level conditions allowing the annular characteristic to persist over the colder upwelled sea surface temperatures. Once it finally started moving again convection became colder and it retained its annual characteristics.

This is what it looked like when it first slowed down.

fyeo91.jpg

After around 1.5 days the convective structure resembled this. Note that the eyewall remained intact though.

v4xh1v.jpg

After passing over Okinawa, it regained deeper convection thanks to warmer SSTs and redeveloped the classical annular characteristics.

2s66h5y.jpg

Wow, that Jelawat cyclone was crazy. Thanks, aslkahuna and Phil882, for that info.

I looked at the best track data (on Jorge's site), and it slowly passed over Okinawa with a steady intensity of ~965 mb/85 kt (1-min). Judging by the enormous eye and very slow forward speed (~5 kt), they must have been in a lull for a solid day, I would think.

Just bizarre. :D

Man, the models are really picking up on this weekend EPAC storm today. Makes sense, since they don't predict Kelvin waves all that well until they see the whites of their eyes (maybe something to consider for the BoC next week, too?)

Another 'close in' TC as well. Perhaps a Mexican threat this go around? Great agreement even re:ensembles. One can only hope the BoC concoction that the GFS has been sniffing for almost week has some validity.

Another 'close in' TC as well. Perhaps a Mexican threat this go around? Great agreement even re:ensembles. One can only hope the BoC concoction that the GFS has been sniffing for almost week has some validity.

Euro and CMC are hinting at it, but I'm not entirely sure why. The upper level flow looks mostly easterly, but they're just plowing it into the Riviera.

We are looking at the Atlantic for some rain relief, but I think this might be the best chance in the short term. Now pray for the Rockies/Plains trough to be deep enough to knock out the Nern Mexico ridge (I'm a bit skeptical, attm).

Lemony goodness.

ABPZ20 KNHC 141734

TWOEP

TROPICAL WEATHER OUTLOOK

NWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL

1100 AM PDT TUE JUN 14 2011

FOR THE EASTERN NORTH PACIFIC...EAST OF 140 DEGREES WEST LONGITUDE..

DISORGANIZED SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS HAVE DEVELOPED IN ASSOCATION

WITH AN AREA OF DISTURBED WEATHER LOCATED SEVERAL HUNDRED MILES TO

THE SOUTHEAST OF ACAPULCO MEXICO. ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS ARE

FORECAST TO BE CONDUCIVE FOR SOME SLOW DEVELOPMENT OF THIS SYSTEM

OVER THE NEXT COUPLE OF DAYS. THERE IS A LOW CHANCE...10

PERCENT...OF THIS SYSTEM BECOMING A TROPICAL CYCLONE DURING THE

NEXT 48 HOURS AS IT MOVES LITTLE.

$$

FORECASTER KIMBERLAIN

Stays safely offshore and eventually weakens, per GFS...

slp28.png

BEGIN

NHC_ATCF

invest_ep922011.invest

FSTDA

R

U

NONE

NOTIFY=ATRP

END

INVEST, EP, E, , , , , 92, 2011, DB, O, 2011061612, 9999999999, , , , , , METWATCH, , EP922011

EP, 92, 2011061612, , BEST, 0, 115N, 920W, 20, 0, DB, 0, , 0, 0, 0, 0,

Archived