• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Lake Tahoe The Ark Blizzard

Some of these ski areas average several hundred inches of snow a year, but this has got to be some sort of a record.

Sugar Bowl, Kirkwood and Squaw Valley all claim to have 100"+ totals in the past week and it is still snowing heavily at most of the ski areas. Too bad there all closed due to avalanche danger.

The most snow has been above 7500 Ft, but there is still a good deal of snow at lake level.

http://www.skiheavenly.com/the-mountain/snow-report/snow-report.aspx

http://www.skialpine.com/mountain/snow-report

http://www.kirkwood.com/site/mountain/snow-report/2011-3-24-1

http://www.northstarattahoe.com/snowreport.asp

http://www.sierraattahoe.com/mountain/conditions

http://www.squaw.com/snow-report

Here is a page that lets you preview all the webcams.

http://www.tahoetopia.com/webcams

post-673-0-69729300-1301017312.jpg

post-673-0-34239800-1301017336.jpg

post-673-0-75394000-1301017427.jpg

I drove though the Sierras in May a few years ago. I think it was 2005. There was easliy 20-30 feet of snow on the ground and the passes were closed except for Rt 80 and 1 other pass. This was the middle of May too. Maybe the 20th or so. People were excited because the passes were expected to open by June 1st. After you drive through there it makes EC storms look like flurries.

I drove though the Sierras in May a few years ago. I think it was 2005. There was easliy 20-30 feet of snow on the ground and the passes were closed except for Rt 80 and 1 other pass. This was the middle of May too. Maybe the 20th or so. People were excited because the passes were expected to open by June 1st. After you drive through there it makes EC storms look like flurries.

That is exactly where I need to live. I'd shovel snow there for free. I would be so beside myself with joy I would hardly know where to start. I'd have 78 million snow pics on my iPhone.

I would upload so many snow pics to American Weather Forum that the server would crash beyond repair.

wub.gifwub.gifwub.gifwub.gifwub.gifwub.gifwub.gifwub.gifwub.gifwub.gif

That is exactly where I need to live. I'd shovel snow there for free. I would be so beside myself with joy I would hardly know where to start. I'd have 78 million snow pics on my iPhone.

I would upload so many snow pics to American Weather Forum that the server would crash beyond repair.

wub.gifwub.gifwub.gifwub.gifwub.gifwub.gifwub.gifwub.gifwub.gifwub.gif

You can't shovel snow because of avalanches. That's why everyone is California is so fit; they never stop moving. If you stop to shovel the snow, you will die.

100" in a week isnt that uncommon out there

No it's not-record for the California mountains (though the southern Cascades rather than the Sierra) is 189 inches in 5 days at Shasta. Seasonal record in the Sierra is 887 inches at Tamarack and the 24 hour record is 67 inches at Echo and Donner Summits. Moisture content of the snowpack is high about 150% of normal. Another aside, March is usually one of the snowiest months in the Sierra and the snowpack usually peaks in April.

Steve

Excellent place for an EPIC jebwalk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I need to show those folks how to shovel snow!

They sure know how to pile it upwub.gifwub.gifwub.gifwub.gifwub.gif

You might wanna drive or snowmobile this one. The lack of a sidewalk and the lack of visibility around turns in that picture maybe a problem.

What happened to the horrible SW drought?

Lake Tahoe is not considered part of the SW US. As point in fact, Drought conditions are up to extreme in TX across through Southern Arizona so the Drought is alive and well and still kicking after 15 years in progress.

post-92-0-82028100-1301119370.gif

Steve

Lake Tahoe is not considered part of the SW US. As point in fact, Drought conditions are up to extreme in TX across through Southern Arizona so the Drought is alive and well and still kicking after 15 years in progress.

Steve

That looks like a pretty serious drought over the Southern US. Let's hope we don't get another La Niña next season or you guys might start having some problems...

What is the main cause of the drought in AZ/NM? Is it the lack of bowling ball lows during winter, summertime thunderstorms missing?

My wife was out there last weekend....we got her out during a break on Monday. She said it was incredible.....almost 7ft during the time she was there...3-4 days. Last sunday avalanches were a problem in the Squaw HV area..took out 89 and part of 80 apparently. I have not had time to go through her picture but will check to see if there are any cool ones. Her HD video from the helmet cam looked wild at times. Our friends still there are basically stuck, though Squaw apparently has been able to keep the lower trails open to some extent. The skiers on the lifts are almost touching the snow it is piled up so high.

March in Tahoe is crazy. Last time I was there Tahoe City had a base of 10-12ft and it just got higher as you went up into the elevations.

We heard one report that 13 inches of snow fell in one hour this week?????? Not sure if anyone else heard similar?

That looks like a pretty serious drought over the Southern US. Let's hope we don't get another La Niña next season or you guys might start having some problems...

What is the main cause of the drought in AZ/NM? Is it the lack of bowling ball lows during winter, summertime thunderstorms missing?

Maybe this?

drought_freq.jpg

No it's not-record for the California mountains (though the southern Cascades rather than the Sierra) is 189 inches in 5 days at Shasta. Seasonal record in the Sierra is 887 inches at Tamarack and the 24 hour record is 67 inches at Echo and Donner Summits. Moisture content of the snowpack is high about 150% of normal. Another aside, March is usually one of the snowiest months in the Sierra and the snowpack usually peaks in April.

Steve

there were some rumors the early-winter storm was a record setter -- i think i saw some mesonet report over 200" -- but i never saw confirmation? i used to spend good chunks of the winter at mammoth and recall seeing at least 2 week-long periods that were in the 75-100" range.

post-92-0-82028100-1301119370.gif

Steve

Wow, drought in a desert. Whowouldathunkit? I guess not the city planners building massive sprawl.

Southern and Western Texas, SW NM west of Deming and SE AZ as far west as the Santa Ritas and Rincons (just east of Tucson) are NOT Deserts but rather are climatologically classified as Savannah Grasslands with a monsoon climate. For a desert, average annual rainfall must be less than 12 inches (30 cm). The Sonoran Desert is considered a "wet" desert as the annual rainfall out to about Gila Bend averages around 6-12 inches. The Mojave and far western deserts in AZ average less than 6 inches. The SE corner of AZ and SW corner of NM average 13-18 inches annually with about 7-11 inches of that falling during the monsoon in July and August (primarily). There is a secondary rainy season in the Winter which in the valleys averages around 4 inches but it's the mountain snow that counts as that's about 2-3 times more water. It's during the Winter where the shortfall in moisture is occurring as last monsoon was quite active in SE AZ/SW NM. Just as an aside, the annual average rainfall in Sierra Vista is just about the same as that in Denver CO which is not considered desert. It's actually not so much urban sprawl that's the problem here but poor landscaping practices. The immigrants from places like NY, etc. insist on bringing their lawns and trees (which use a lot of water) with them. I had a lawn in Sierra Vista but converted it to drought resistance grass and reduced my watering time by 2/3rds.

Steve

La Niña helps us during the monsoon while El Niño is the reverse but the bottom line is that we've been going up and down on this Drought since 1996 and even hit exceptional levels in 2001. From 2001 through 2004 we had both dry winters and drier than average monsoons. More recently, the 2008 monsoon was decent here in Tucson, the 2009 an absolute loser in AZ and last year was great east of here but from Tucson west was pitiful.

Steve

Archived