• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Awareness Tour coming to Cape Cod!

Turtle

• 1 month later...

Anyone coming to this? I'll be there on Monday!

Hi!! C ya there, my friend!!

I'll be out there all day on Monday, but will be working with the students until around 130 PM. I'll be roaming around thereafter.

Hope so see some of you weenies out there!!! :arrowhead:

--Turtle ;)

Hi!! C ya there, my friend!!

I'll be out there all day on Monday, but will be working with the students until around 130 PM. I'll be roaming around thereafter.

Hope so see some of you weenies out there!!! :arrowhead:

--Turtle ;)

Do you know if Rob and some of the other skywarn coordinators are going to be there?

Do you know if Rob and some of the other skywarn coordinators are going to be there?

Paul,

Yep, a bunch of MA/RI ham radio and SKYWARN folks will be there. They will also be putting up a tall antenna and will try to communicate with NHC during the event.

Wish you could go, but I will see you in Baltimore! (Room and flight all paid for!! :thumbsup: )

--Turtle ;)

Paul,

Yep, a bunch of MA/RI ham radio and SKYWARN folks will be there. They will also be putting up a tall antenna and will try to communicate with NHC during the event.

Wish you could go, but I will see you in Baltimore! (Room and flight all paid for!! :thumbsup: )

--Turtle ;)

Maybe we can get a rainstorm that day and my game will be cancelled.

See you in Baltimore, only 2 months away!

Saw a few folks at the HAT yesterday, including an old EUS person that didn't know about us here at AMWX. (hmmm...)

Missed seeing Ryan, though. My classes ran late, and Ryan was running around getting interviews. By the time I tried to find him, he already left. Due to the Osama thing, most of the other media cancelled. Almost had to cancel the public tour, as the base went into lockdown. Had to show ID each time coming back onto the tarmac, but cooler heads prevailed and they allowed the public in (with proper ID of course). However, MUCH lower turnout than in previous years. Ballpark figure was about 300-350 (vs. around 700 or so before) people. Heard they closed one of the entrances as well, so that may have cut down on visitors.

All the school children came for the early portion of the visit...about 550 students (Grades 4-5) along with about 40-50 chaperones. Had 8 sessions with the students from 6 schools on the Cape and Duxbury (just off Cape) with a 20-25 minute show on hurricanes (what else??), then they toured the aircraft. Had several groups come in to show off weather stuff (include Blue Hill Observatory, Stellwagen Bank National Marine Sanctuary and Museum of Science in Boston to name a few). It was a fun day.

Personally, I almost missed out on the HAT due to a new family issue. My mother is in the hospital. She fell at her apartment on Sunday. Luckily, only a hairline fracture of her nose (and the attendant bruised eyes <almost swollen shut at first>) and a good bump on the head. She's in the hospital for a few more days (at least) to watch for a concussion. My sister and I have a lot of decisions to make now. :( Been a really rough few weeks for my family. Also lost my sister-in-law 2 weeks ago.

Well, better get back to work. Take it easy...

--Turtle ;)

Saw a few folks at the HAT yesterday, including an old EUS person that didn't know about us here at AMWX. (hmmm...)

Missed seeing Ryan, though. My classes ran late, and Ryan was running around getting interviews. By the time I tried to find him, he already left. Due to the Osama thing, most of the other media cancelled. Almost had to cancel the public tour, as the base went into lockdown. Had to show ID each time coming back onto the tarmac, but cooler heads prevailed and they allowed the public in (with proper ID of course). However, MUCH lower turnout than in previous years. Ballpark figure was about 300-350 (vs. around 700 or so before) people. Heard they closed one of the entrances as well, so that may have cut down on visitors.

All the school children came for the early portion of the visit...about 550 students (Grades 4-5) along with about 40-50 chaperones. Had 8 sessions with the students from 6 schools on the Cape and Duxbury (just off Cape) with a 20-25 minute show on hurricanes (what else??), then they toured the aircraft. Had several groups come in to show off weather stuff (include Blue Hill Observatory, Stellwagen Bank National Marine Sanctuary and Museum of Science in Boston to name a few). It was a fun day.

Personally, I almost missed out on the HAT due to a new family issue. My mother is in the hospital. She fell at her apartment on Sunday. Luckily, only a hairline fracture of her nose (and the attendant bruised eyes <almost swollen shut at first>) and a good bump on the head. She's in the hospital for a few more days (at least) to watch for a concussion. My sister and I have a lot of decisions to make now. :( Been a really rough few weeks for my family. Also lost my sister-in-law 2 weeks ago.

Well, better get back to work. Take it easy...

--Turtle ;)

Good luck with you mom and all that. I wish you the best.

Sounds like an interesting day at the HAT

Archived