joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
3/10-3/11 Storm

Thunder Road

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12z GFS through 72 keeps heaviest qpf 75 miles on either side of the PA line , on the order of 2-3" down through eastern shore of MD back through eastern VA. Less as you head south of mason dixon line. ( 1.5"-2")

Get it all out of the way for Scranton St. Patty;s day parade on Saturday!

I don't think the Schuylkill will be too bad in my area (Berks), but the susquehanna from northern PA to harrisburg and south will potentially be problematic.

3 inches will result in flooding for the Schuylkill River and will flood portions of Lower and Upper Providence Township, Norristown and Bridgeport.. The Collegeville Inn parking lot will flood from the Perkiomen. The backwaters from the Skippack Creek and the Schuylkill River will only enhance the the flooding for the Perkiomen. The ground is now what hydrologists and soil scientists call super saturated and 3-4 inches of rain will result in historical flooding. Do not be surprised when the Mt. Holly issues flood warnings after the first inch of rain. Also, in super saturated soils, mudslides often occur. The Poconos should be on alert for this. The Little Lehigh will again flood with Spring Creek Rd underwater for days. The Delaware will flood Lower Mt. Bethel and Easton with 611 closed in areas along the River. The Delaware Canal trails will be washed out again. Trenton and Bucks County will experience flooding but to what extent I do know at this time. The Neshaminy will also flood. Watch the EM briefings starting tommorrow at the Mt. Holly website

With the March nor'easter last year, we got 2.50" on saturated ground and the Neshaminy hit Major Flood stage.

Especially if this is thunderstorm/convective rains the totals could be higher than modeled, much like how this past weekend's 1.00"-1.50" forecast ended up being 2.00"

That's only through 48hrs correct? with much more rain to fall east of Philly after that.

No that's through 72, looking off the b&w charts. The color maps are more precise but I don't think they're out yet.

The b&w charts have really wide ranges for precip amounts though so wait for the color charts

No that's through 72, looking off the b&w charts. The color maps are more precise but I don't think they're out yet.

The b&w charts have really wide ranges for precip amounts though so wait for the color charts

Looks like there is more precipitation thru 84 hrs on the GGEM and 96 hrs as well...

With the March nor'easter last year, we got 2.50" on saturated ground and the Neshaminy hit Major Flood stage.

Especially if this is thunderstorm/convective rains the totals could be higher than modeled, much like how this past weekend's 1.00"-1.50" forecast ended up being 2.00"

Of course us northerners have to watch the temps. We could see snow to start and end with the heavy rains in between.

EC was too low on rainfall with the last event and it looks like it could be headed down the same path.

The can ggem overall had the best verification in the Mt. Holly CWA with the last event. Not every run, but the nam and can rgem did a good job at capturing the double structure pcpn bullseyes in the Poconos and northern New Jersey.

http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/crests.php?wfo=phi&gage=tren4

Historical Crests for Delaware River at Trenton

(1) 30.60 ft on 03/08/1904

(2) 28.60 ft on 08/20/1955

(3) 28.50 ft on 10/11/1903

(4) 25.33 ft on 04/04/2005

(5) 25.09 ft on 06/29/2006

(6) 24.43 ft on 03/19/1936

(7) 23.60 ft on 03/02/1902

(8) 23.41 ft on 09/19/2004

(9) 22.20 ft on 01/20/1996

(10) 21.12 ft on 05/24/1942

Crested at 18.94' early this morning after major drip I, after major drip II a run at 4/05 not out of the question

Archived