Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
3/10-3/11 Storm

Thunder Road

Another Lakes-Cutter is upon us.

Last night at 0z, the GFS has a similar set-up to this storm, with the primary driving north into Canada and a secondary getting going in the SE. Then it had the secondary occluding over DC, causing copious amounts of rain to fall on the Philly metro area.

The 6z was actually rather similar, but it had the secondary occluding a bit farther north, far enough that Philly "misses out" on the extremely heavy rain.

The 0z GGEM had a similar idea wrt to the occluding and heavy rains, it brings about 1.75"-3.50" of rain to the area from the storm late this week. With heavy rain today/tonight, the ground will stay saturated, so flooding is definitely a concern for the end-of-the-week storm, especially if the storm occludes like the Canadian & GFS modeled last night.

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If those amounts pan out this will wind up becoming a serious flooding situation considering the ground, rivers, and streams will already be primed from today's heavy rain.

I haven't read their disco but outside of last night's 0z GFS, this prediction has almost no model support.

Perhaps they're basing this off the fact that today's system overperformed (1.79" IMBY when most models had < 1.25")

12z NAM gives PHL 1.33" and ABE 1.81" with more to come past Hr 84 most likely.

The ground is saturated, so I'm expecting significant flooding Friday night. I hope it slows down enough that most of the flooding holds off until Saturday morning - better for pictures and whatnot. :thumbsup:

ok ok i know it's the DGEX but holy crap if that verifies buy stock in rowboats

NAM was most bullish with the precip totals through 84, so no surprise there.

Anyone have any thoughts on Severe weather aspect of this storm? Neg tilt trough always helps the cause. I imagine the main focus would be down south, but then again, with the re-developing cut off, it throws a wrench into things.

Ski resorts are pretty much closed but this isn't going to help. Yikes.

Spring Mountain is still hoping to be able to be open this coming weekend for their end of the season party. As I drove past this morning, the ski slope wasn't looking in very good condition. If the consensus forecast of around 2 inches of rain with temps in the 50's for Thursday is correct, there is no chance at all that Spring Mountain will be open this upcoming weekend.

Archived