• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Job Opening @ MDA EarthSat: Entry Level Met

MDA EarthSat has an immediate job opening for an entry level meteorologist. I've included the link needed to submit your information as well as the actual description below. If you have any questions not answered within the description, just ask!

Link: http://mdafederal.hr....php?req=65303

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Operational Meteorologist (Entry Level)

Department: Weather Services

Security Clearance: Eligibility for Clearance

Employee Type: Full-Time Employee

Entry Level Operational Meteorologist Opportunity at MDA Information Systems, Inc.

The Operational Meteorologist position is responsible for integrating data to provide continuously updated weather information to commodity traders, importers, exporters and food companies. The Operational Meteorologist reports to the Weather Group Operations Manager and is part of a team of meteorologists. This position requires a highly-motivated individual who can work early morning, overnight and/or weekend shifts to produce results in a fast-paced, real-time, client-driven environment. The core hours for this position are 10:00 p.m. – 7:00 a.m., Monday to Friday (please do not apply unless you can work these hours)

Essential Job Functions

• Integrate meteorological data to provide continuously updated weather information to commodity sensitive and risk management focused clients for the purpose of managing the impact of weather on client businesses
  • Conduct basic or applied research in meteorology
  • Analyze and interpret meteorological data gathered by surface and upper air stations, satellites, and radar to prepare reports and forecasts
  • Study and interpret synoptic reports, maps, photographs, and prognostic charts to predict long and short range weather conditions (forecasts range from hourly to seasonal)
  • Observe and record weather conditions for use in forecasting
  • Operate computer graphic equipment to produce weather reports and maps for analysis

Required Qualifications

• Bachelor's degree from four-year college or university in Meteorology or related field or equivalent combination of education and experience
  • Strong forecasting skills with the ability to demonstrate accuracy and thoroughness
  • Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both internally and with clients
  • Ability to use time efficiently to prioritize, manage competing demands and plan work activities to meet client-driven deadlines
  • Ability to work well within a team setting
  • Basic knowledge of Microsoft Office Products
  • Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
  • Ability to leverage creative thinking and innovative ideas to meet client needs
  • Ability to identify and resolve problems in a timely manner
  • Ability to gather and analyze information skillfully
  • Ability to respond promptly to customer needs

Desired Qualifications

• Ability to use and manipulate data in a UNIX terminal
  • Ability to generate suggestions for improving operational efficiencies, processes, products and services
  • College degree GPA of 3.0 and higher

About MDA Information Systems Inc.

MDA Information Systems Inc. is an innovative company which conducts resource monitoring programs around the world for private and public clients. MDA has unparalleled expertise in the utilization of advanced GIS and Remote Sensing technologies for applications ranging from agriculture monitoring and land use analysis to military planning. The company also provides weather advisories and specialized weather products to a variety of commercial customers. MDA's forecasts are based upon the best available worldwide weather data received in real time. From this data, the skilled meteorologists, hydrologists, agronomists, physical geographers, environmental scientists and computer scientists produce hundreds of different products.

MDA Information systems, Inc. offers an excellent comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, life, and short/long-term disability insurance, vacation and sick leave, 401(k) retirement plan, Flexible Spending Account, bonus plans and tuition assistance. MDA Information Systems, inc is an equal opportunity employer.

Everyone has different definitions about what an acceptable salary is though. Some are on their own, others have a family to support. some have car payments or tuitions to pay off, others don't.

Bob's not on the forums that often...

I'll let him answer it the way he wants, but I will say that when I was hired for the same job last year I was fine with the starting salary.

Everyone has different definitions about what an acceptable salary is though. Some are on their own, others have a family to support. some have car payments or tuitions to pay off, others don't.

It's an entry-level job. People can expect to have a fair entry-level salary (for the area), but it will probably vary depending on how much experience one has. I'll let Bob go more into specifics if he desires. I've got rent and a car and student loans to pay off, if that information helps at all.

Obviously I'm not affiliated with MDA, but I do know this is not just a run-of-the-mill private sector job. While whatever the starting pay is may not "wow" you, I know from people there that the potential to make a pretty decent salary is there. Plus, it can get you a lot of experience in the energy / ag sectors, where we know there is good money to be made if you know your stuff and can work well with others.

Archived