• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Need your Help

DaculaWeather

Ok, I'm having issues with Comcast. Apparently, my website is working everywhere EXCEPT through Comcast right now. And it's all my websites (I have four domain names, all consecutive order IP addresses).

I'm currently at home on my laptop going through my Comcast cable modem. I can get to every web site I've tried EXCEPT my four. Not just this computer, but all the computers in the house. But here's the catch... I can ping all the sites, by dns and IP address, and I can ftp to all the sites. I just can't get them to return a page to me. I've tried IE8, Chrome, and Firefox.

Would you all please do me a favor, please try my website and let me know the following:

1. What internet provider you use

2. If you were successful (or not) in getting to the site.

It happened around noon yesterday, while I was on the site. I can turn off my wireless, tether to my Droid and connect to the internet through my T-Mobile account, and all the sites work. I also use pingdom.com to monitor my account and they haven't reported any outages either.

I'm thinking there might be some port 80 block on a range of IP addresses somewhere in the Comcast network, but that's only my guess right now.

Thanks for your help!

Thanks. I've had a ticket open with Comcast since noon yesterday, they had to escalate the ticket and that takes 24-48 hours. I've had a report from Thailand that it's working there! I tethered my phone to my laptop again a little while ago, hit refresh and the page came right up.

I just want data for Comcast if they claim it's not them!

I'm thinking there might be some port 80 block on a range of IP addresses somewhere in the Comcast network, but that's only my guess right now.

Thanks for your help!

Are your websites coming from your home network or are the hosted elsewhere? did you just switch to comcast or get a new modem, or has it been working in its current config up until now. what happens if you telnet to port 80 on the ip address?

Are your websites coming from your home network or are the hosted elsewhere? did you just switch to comcast or get a new modem, or has it been working in its current config up until now. what happens if you telnet to port 80 on the ip address?

Some of the data like GRL3 radar, current conditions, etc, originate here at home and go through Comcast to my hosting company. My site is hosted by IXWebHosting on a Linux Business account. Don't seem to be able to telnet into it. I've had Comcast for years, no changes, not even to my cable modem or router address, absolutely nothing changed here. I was sitting on the sofa yesterday try to help someone else out with a computer problem, I just opened up a new page from my site and was trying to open up one more when it wouldn't connect. Everything else as far as websites, all continued to work. It was just lightning.gifand it was gone. I checked the weather computer at that point and it was having the same issues.

Well.... I took my laptop and hooked up directly to the cable modem and the sites work. Of course, that means the router (Netgear). Or you might think.

But the strange thing is, going through the router, I can't get to any IP addresses between 173.83.72.127 - 173.83.72.254. Above or below that I have no problem and of course my four domains domains lie within that range. And it's only http request that are affected, not ftp, pings, etc, but I can't telnet port 80. There is nothing in the router set to block or do anything else like that, and, like I said earlier, I was loading some pages from my site when it quit, I haven't touched the router in a month at least.

Very odd.

Thanks to everyone for their replies!

Some of the data like GRL3 radar, current conditions, etc, originate here at home and go through Comcast to my hosting company. My site is hosted by IXWebHosting on a Linux Business account. Don't seem to be able to telnet into it. I've had Comcast for years, no changes, not even to my cable modem or router address, absolutely nothing changed here. I was sitting on the sofa yesterday try to help someone else out with a computer problem, I just opened up a new page from my site and was trying to open up one more when it wouldn't connect. Everything else as far as websites, all continued to work. It was just lightning.gifand it was gone. I checked the weather computer at that point and it was having the same issues.

I get these types of issues at home every now and then. And the problem is my router. I have to reboot it to clear up whatever problem was blocking me from reaching my own site. I also use IXWebhosting and have for years. I don't know what causes it but something makes my NETGEAR router decide to block access to my site so I reboot the router. I wonder if it see's all the uploads trying to get out of my PC and firewalls it or something. IDK...

I can telnet to 21 but not 80.

NAT loopback settings can cause you not to be able to get to your site with a public ip when the request initiates from your local net. But sounds like your site is hosted elsewhere, except for certain links that it gets from your network, so out of ideas.

for example I can't get to my webcam using my public dns resolution name, I have to use the private 192.168 address when I'm at home.

but this wouldn't explain why it all of a sudden quit working. from your test it seems there has to be something in the router blocking port 80 on that network.

maybe there is some type of firewall security setting.

I've had mine unplugged several times today, I sure wish that was it. I've been thinking about getting a dual band router anyway, I guess it will be sooner than later. I'm just glad everyone else can see my site! I can't even see the banner in my sig!

It's just too odd.

That is odd. But if you did plug your computer directly into your modem to bypass the router and all was good then you know it's the router. I'm even worse about setting up routers than I am at programming so when I have router issues I just usually buy a new one if reboots won't fix it. LOL

Thanks to all!

Tony, yes, the home page can be a little slow to load, especially the first time because it's background loading the banner images and the images for the 320x240 maps. Once all of those download, the next time you load the page it should be much quicker. The same banner images are used on all the pages, so once you have them, you should be good. If I get rid of the rotating banners the first time to the site load would be quicker though.

Yes, it's looks just like a port 80 block on a range of 127 addresses, something you might see if a range of addresses got blacklisted. But I'm the only person blacklisted from my own site apparently! Very odd.

The router has been acting up a little more lately, it would just hang and I'd have to pull the power and restart it.

With the new router, since it has dual bands, I going to put the weather computer on one band by itself but I need to buy a N adapter for it first. Everything I currently have is G, I wish the webcam was N and I'd put it and the weather computer on the same band.

Archived