• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Storm Chasing.

LMolineuxLM1

Is there any good spots with cover in which i can setup and use tripods and film in all 360 degrees?

There's three places (there may be more) that I know of that have or < 270°

South Central Lancaster County: Near 360° Blocked N

Google Street View

East Central Lancaster County: 270° Blocked N (corn in summer)

Google Street View

West Central York County: Mt.Pisgah (~950 ft) (State Park) 300° blocked WNW. If you move around a few hundred feet you get 360°

Google Street View << Great place to see elevation snow or hail.

Google Street View

Google Street View

West Central York County: Mt.Pisgah (~950 ft) (State Park) 300° blocked WNW. If you move around a few hundred feet you get 360°

Wow, those are some good spots! I remember some amazing lightning storms as a kid on vacation in Lancaster Co. during the summers.

I'm not sure how portable your camera equipment is, but not far from me is Bowman's Tower. Along PA 32 between Yardley and New Hope, a 125-foot tower at the top of a huge hill (Jericho Mountain) and there's an elevator to the top from what I remember.

Neat spot but once it's gone you won't be able to catch it with the trek down the hill and narrow windy roads in the area.

Excellent places along Rt 897 in Lancaster County particularly in E. Cocalico twp heading towards the Lebanon county line.

In New Jersey Salem County has some nice open places. Theres a big open field by the Hardingville Bible church in Elk Twp, Gloucester County where I've spent many a night watching lightning bolts come down in the distance (or closer). If you're a scanner enthusiast great reception around that area too.

Also in New Jersey at the top of Pine Hill in Camden County you have a nice view of the Philadelphia skyline and points north.

In Burlington County along Rt 206 in Columbus there's some wide open spaces, by the farmers market. They always seem to get hit hard over there as the storms split up and come across from Bucks County. Great views. Along the Delaware in Beverly City you can see across the river into Bucks county where the Dunks Ferry used to be.

For you folks in the Lehigh Valley area you may want to hang out around Kutztown. Always seem to get hit hard there and anywhere along 222 in that area or if anyone knows where the Reningers market is out there, lots of open fields.

In Chester County on Rt. 322 in Brandywine Twp. heading towards Honey Brook there are lots of open fields and small businesses to pull into. Lots to see there. I even remember observing lots of damage out there after the June 24 storm last year.

I am creating a SE PA storm chasing guide using Google maps. I have made the file pubic so you guys can add input on the best spots and routes for storm chasing in SE PA. Everyone's input is appreciated no matter how small.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=201186992224834633683.0004a198ff84ce62bc29b

There aren't many good ones in Allentown, but here are some halfway decent ones...

There's an area on the Muhlenburg College campus with an excellent view to the south. It's located near 23rd & Chew streets for those who are familiar with the area. (if not, just google it.) If a nighttime storm misses to the south, it's always good to chill in that lawn area and watch lightning shoot out the top of the cumulonimbus tower.

The grandstand at the Allentown Farmers Market has a great view to the north. It's used for concerts for a week per year, the other 51 weeks it's open but abandoned. Here's a view from it:

Allentown-090310.jpg

Google Street View

Google Street View

On your 2nd image, I grew up on Franklin Rd. It is in West Central Lancaster, not East Central...it's about a mile east of the river.

Valley Forge Park wont dissapoint, I will reiterate that.

I am sure therse gotta be somewhere open out in Lancaster Cty, plus they always get destroyed there so It may be fun :lightning:

Route 741 from the Lancaster / Chester County line west to Strausburg. It's 50mph speed limit and a fantastic view north. When the good storms pop in far northern PA you can see their tops all the way down here.

Route 741 from the Lancaster / Chester County line west to Strausburg. It's 50mph speed limit and a fantastic view north. When the good storms pop in far northern PA you can see their tops all the way down here.

Is it a good place to also setup shop and record the Lightning bolts that come out of the anvil from that far away?

Google Street View

Google Street View

I live two miles south of Mt. Pisgah, and go there often to view thunderstorms. The location is actually in East Central York county.

I live two miles south of Mt. Pisgah, and go there often to view thunderstorms. The location is actually in East Central York county.

Daxx,

This location does it have any cover in which i could setup a camera or camera's on tripods without getting them wet to film using outside of the car?

• 3 weeks later...

Archived