joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
feb 7-9 threat obs

tombo82685

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This storm plays a huge role on the mid next week event. The larger this storm is the better, because it sets up a 50/50 low and knocks down the hgts along the east coast. That is the difference between the euro and gfs right now. The euro doesn't blow this storm up and causes a hugger/inland track. While the gfs does and moves the baroclinic zone offshore.

This storm plays a huge role on the mid next week event. The larger this storm is the better, because it sets up a 50/50 low and knocks down the hgts along the east coast. That is the difference between the euro and gfs right now. The euro doesn't blow this storm up and causes a hugger/inland track. While the gfs does and moves the baroclinic zone offshore.

So we should hope for this storm to keep trending stronger and stronger with the runs right Tom?

only issue here is, you need a bigger storm cause the bl is torched before the storm. On the gfs that .1-.25 of qpf is rain

The southern energy would have to be delayed a bit and then phase perfectly for it to be anything of substance.

Best bet is to get some back end snow showers with the upper energy pivoting through and hope the southern stream is pushed further east so the colder air can work in. Might not give people much but it's possible to get a couple inches north/west of town.

In an effort to contribute more and lurk less, can someone please point me in the right direction for determining surface temps with the gfs maps? I only see 850 temps, yet some folks seem to know whether the BL is torched or cold enough for all snow.

i have stormvista and it shows the 925mb temps...the regular ncep gfs doesnt have 925mb temps you would have to look at a sounding...you can use this site for the gfs, its slower coming out but it shows the 925mb temps

http://www.twisterdata.com/index.php?prog=forecast&model=GFS&grid=3&model_yyyy=2011&model_mm=01&model_dd=31&model_init_hh=12&fhour=00&parameter=TMPF&level=2&unit=M_ABOVE_GROUND&maximize=n&mode=singlemap&sounding=n&output=image&view=large&archive=false

Euro tries to bomb the storm on Tuesday and dumps a quick thump of a few inches of snow early Tuesday morning (generally city/east). 850's are supportive of snow...bottom layer above freezing but I can see this being a light rain to deformation snow type thump for someone.

Much more impressive hit for New England though...

Archived