joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
feb 7-9 threat obs

tombo82685

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

850s are so far off the coast that couldn't that be a wet snow as long as it's close to freezing? Esp. for the Philly suburbs.

its 75percent rain on the nam for phl and the immediate burbs. Once you get well north and west up towards allentown they get an inch or so. I keep saying this, its not the 850s or surface temps that are the issues, its the level above the surface. This is for hr 45 on the nam, note how warm the 925 temps are. From a line from ukt to lns is +3.

NAM_221_2011020612_F45_TMPC_925_MB.png

Here is hr 48

NAM_221_2011020612_F48_TMPC_925_MB.png

the 925mb temps have finally gotten below frz from the del river on east... Based on the nam phl and the burbs prob see maybe a half inch.

Not to sound dramatic, but I wonder if the 12Z NAM is hinting at a potential flash freeze (north and west of Philly) for the Tuesday as precipitation ends, and temperatures tumble into and through the 20s. I guess the mild weather today and tomorrow could hinder something like that, but with rain changing to wet snow early Tuesday morning, and falling temperatures I guess there is always a chance?

Not to sound dramatic, but I wonder if the 12Z NAM is hinting at a potential flash freeze (north and west of Philly) for the Tuesday as precipitation ends, and temperatures tumble into and through the 20s. I guess the mild weather today and tomorrow could hinder something like that, but with rain changing to wet snow early Tuesday morning, and falling temperatures I guess there is always a chance?

Not at TTN...

Forecast Hours:   30hr   33hr   36hr   39hr   42hr   45hr   48hr   51hr   54hr   57hr   60hr   
2m agl Tmp (F):   39.3   39.8   35.6   33.7   33.8   34.0   33.7   36.0   32.2   26.9   22.2   

Temps dont' fall to freezing until midday or early afternoon. Verbatim, anyway.

Not at TTN...

Forecast Hours:   30hr   33hr   36hr   39hr   42hr   45hr   48hr   51hr   54hr   57hr   60hr   
2m agl Tmp (F):   39.3   39.8   35.6   33.7   33.8   34.0   33.7   36.0   32.2   26.9   22.2   

Temps dont' fall to freezing until midday or early afternoon. Verbatim, anyway.

Taking a closer look, you are right. I had my time stamps messed up. Maybe up in the Lehigh Valley and NE PA.

Actually, looking at the MOS numbers for ABE, its a gradual decrease in temperature too.....nevermind.

At this point I do not plan to watch this threat unfold. The threat of an inch or more at TTN appears quite low thanks to the warm BL.

yea this may be a feb 25-26 type ordeal where you get snow falling, but do to the surface temps and lack of intensity it just never accumulates much in the i95 corridor and immediate burbs...lehigh valley will be different story.

RGEM like its big brother pretty bullish with precip...all of the thickness lines are well SE of the area, but that doesn't mean the 900s aren't above freezing with this model as well...

Doesn't the RGEM/GGEM tend to overphase and intensify storms too quickly? That's the most bullish (and most NW) solution out there...the GFS is a good bit s/e of us with that low.

Per Wxsim program...precip now up slightly to 0.31" with almost all (0.29") falling with surface temps below freezing. Should be yet another tough AM rush in NW Chesco. However, mainly a snow/ZR mix with all snow for the last 2 hours before dawn on Tuesday...maybe 1" of snow on top of some ice.

Start time 6 or 7pm tomorrow night and all over by Tuesday AM rush.

As indicated by the current GFS/NAM - no storm Thursday....but bet the house the storm will be re-emerging on future runs!!

Per Wxsim program...precip now up slightly to 0.31" with almost all (0.29") falling with surface temps below freezing. Should be yet another tough AM rush in NW Chesco. However, mainly a snow/ZR mix with all snow for the last 2 hours before dawn on Tuesday...maybe 1" of snow on top of some ice.

As indicated by the current GFS/NAM - no storm Thursday....but bet the house the storm will be re-emerging on future runs!!

That's been quite the theme this winter. Nocturnal snows. In my area it showed it's face way back in December during the first significant Lake Effect event. For 3 days we kept getting these dusting to half inch snow squalls during the overnight hours, then during the day it would just be partly cloudy.

ur house not mine ;)

Yes and the artic boundary was delivered by a clipper that was progged to pass to our north if I remember correctly and starting Friday the models began digging this disturbance further and further south, no?

1) Arctic

2) Clipper was never supposed to pass to our north. There was a chance for rain/snow for a while...it's juiced up a bit but I've seen rain/snow in the forecast for Tuesday for a while.

Current Wxsim program off 6z model runs has all mixed to snow with no plain rain in the nearby NW Philly burbs....then very cold week ahead

Here is the rundown

Light mix by 9pm temp 33.5

Mix continues with temps falling below freezing by 1am

All snow by 430 am with 0.5 to 1" of snow by AM commute

Temp briefly breaks freezing early tomorrow PM then temps fall and remain below freezing through next Sunday before the big warm up....Current Snow depth 10.0" - Wxsim forecasts 6" of snowcover remaining by Sunday morning

Archived