joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
LV/Reading/Poconos/NEPA/NWNJ Banter/Obs

Big Jims Videos

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're more right than you might know,in the early70''s sometime,could be even late 60's a tour bus went over the steep embankement and rolled coming up the New Smithville hill on that strech of road,too many others too count ... If that section has grooves cut in the road yet,that accident was why(blamed on hydroplaning)...

Thanks rktec

There is something about that part of the highway...

Always an issue even without precip.

I'm beginning to think the highway was built on a Indian burial ground or something...??

Be safe everyone

You're more right than you might know,in the early70''s sometime,could be even late 60's a tour bus went over the steep embankement and rolled coming up the New Smithville hill on that strech of road,too many others too count ... If that section has grooves cut in the road yet,that accident was why(blamed on hydroplaning)...

I remember that too. Just googled it;July 1970. 7 children killed, 51 injured. Bus skidded on wet roadway (then it was Rt. 22) and went through a guardrail.

Link

Wow that was almost more horrible reading it now...I remember my Dad drove by their everyday on his work route and on Sat. of that week he drove us all out from the Slatington area,the road was just jammed at that spot...Great Link also...

I remember that too. Just googled it;July 1970. 7 children killed, 51 injured. Bus skidded on wet roadway (then it was Rt. 22) and went through a guardrail.

Link

amazing there's still ice on the trees on the i-81 corridor from hazleton to pine grove. It was VERY trecherous driving up that way yesterday afternoon on my way to my friend's place in Harrisburg. Zero visibilities in fog, freezing rain, and truck drivers thinking because they have their 4 ways on they can blow past you doing 50 in again zero visibility. Driving back this evening trees still coated in ice..

amazing there's still ice on the trees on the i-81 corridor from hazleton to pine grove. It was VERY trecherous driving up that way yesterday afternoon on my way to my friend's place in Harrisburg. Zero visibilities in fog, freezing rain, and truck drivers thinking because they have their 4 ways on they can blow past you doing 50 in again zero visibility. Driving back this evening trees still coated in ice..

for sure ... the I-81 corridor is a brutal drive in winter, fog is part of the standard scenery. The ice is nice,as long as its on those trees JIm ... lol.

It looks like a little wintry blitz into Tuesday morning and than a not to exciting week for us. Unless the late week (now gone) threat revives. Any thoughts on the next ten days?

Until the sun came out yesterday, driving around the poconos on side streets was very dangerous. County roads were fine....highways etc. Driving up to the top of our mountain was very challenging for those not use to the area.

Friday evening was a complete sheet of ice and you needed to find a groove that had some snow cover or sand/cinders...along with a few dry patches. I watched cars sliding down the hill, from either direction....and also along our main road on the top....into ditches....trees. It always amazes me to see young kids in mommy or daddys new SUV, not having a clue how to drive in the snow or ice, crashing into things....then crying at the side of the road while they block traffic and suffer a complete meltdown....and in the back ground....the big sign that says "GO LEFT IN WINTER".......fits perfectly in the back drop from the ditch on the right which collects car debris from those who THINK too much.

The next ten days for the poconos it appears we see a 1-3 event tonight, a bit of a cold snap though not as severe as previous, followed by a return to seasonal conditions before above normal temps set in next week. The good news is we should see some melting through the period which will get the roads back in shape (let's hope there is money in the budget for pot hole repair!!!!) and give roofs in the NE a break!!

Archived