LV/Reading/Poconos/NEPA/NWNJ Banter/Obs

Big Jims Videos

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is Tamaqua's elevation?

Thats crazy

Down to 8.0 @7:30

825 ft at my house. Down to 16.5 now. I'm thinking that Tamaqua has sort of an urban heat island effect. It's mostly row homes on streets with few trees, and no front yards, so there's quite a bit of heat retaining and even generating sources. I'm betting that some of you with cold readings are more out in the country with less pavement and and fewer buildings.

Anyway, 8PM observations for Eastern PA show most reporting stations in the mid teens to low 20's so I'm about where I should be in relation to other areas. This map illustrates that point as well.

I'm betting that some of you with cold readings are more out in the country with less pavement and and fewer buildings.

This map illustrates that point as well.

Yea you are right. I am in a rural section but @ 792'.

I would have thought you would be colder.

"urban" heating...you and I know that that is a false term.

The map is without elevation dependence?

Temp 6.1

Yea you are right. I am in a rural section but @ 792'.

I would have thought you would be colder.

"urban" heating...you and I know that that is a false term.

The map is without elevation dependence?

Temp 6.1

Urban Heat Island is not a false term at all... The amount of heat put out from an urban area is enormous. Heated buildings, steam pipes under the sidewalks and roads, etc.

The temperatures reported by Voyager that are usually higher than surrounding areas are probably mostly not entirely due to a UHI effect though I'm sure.

Urban Heat Island is not a false term at all... The amount of heat put out from an urban area is enormous. Heated buildings, steam pipes under the sidewalks and roads, etc.

The temperatures reported by Voyager that are usually higher than surrounding areas are probably mostly not entirely due to a UHI effect though I'm sure.

To be fair, this town obviously doesn't have the same UHI effect that places like Allentown or Philly have, but my neighborhood, as is a large part of town, is nearly all concrete, blacktop, and houses.

Temp is 13.5 currently.

And I completely agree, but what I was trying to articulate was that Tamaqua and urban don't really go together....

I did not realize the amount of blacktop/concrete.

Sometimes typing and speaking do not equate the essence of the words. Sorry

But....Its Friday!

And onto next weeks sneak peak at spring.

Archived