• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
January 12 added to NESIS site

OKpowdah

Didn't this storm feature more significant snowfall down south too? It's strange where they decide to make the cutoff, since they included the accumulations in the midwest.

Yup. It seems they only included snowfall from the northern stream system. I guess it's because the southern stream system almost completely fizzled before it's moisture was sucked into the northern stream.

I'm surprised this storm made a cat 3...but its clearly because of the snow included well out west. If only the snow in the northeast was counted, it probably would have been a cat 1 or maybe a low end 2.

Surprised anything outside of the northeast counts considering what NESIS stands for.

Surprised anything outside of the northeast counts considering what NESIS stands for.

I know it's fundamentally and originally a Northeastern US-oriented scale, but in my research of KU storms I've never found anything that precludes NESIS from being applied to snowstorms anywhere in the country (or world for that matter). I don't think the geographical aspect of the algorithm is or needs to be specific to a specific region of the globe.

Archived