• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
NYC CWA Feb 1-2 Storm Discussion

Rib

I can't find any data for Long Beach, but the station in South Freeport I found on Wx Underground only had a high of 34.2F on 2/14/2007, while one in Bellmore had a high of 33.7F. JFK had a high of 32F. The real warmth was further east - ISP had a high of 39F.

http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KNYBELLM2&day=14&year=2007&month=2

http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KNYFREEP2&day=14&year=2007&month=2

Is the airmass going to be about as cold as Jan 1994 or VD 2007 was? Both of those times, JFK stayed below freezing, while areas east of Oceanside got above freezing. The 0C line was oriented SW / NE

I remember seeing some PWS from VD 2007 (Jan 1994 was too early for wunderground PWS data) and it was interesting how JFK had a high around 30, while it was in the upper 30s and lower 40s east of here around Freeport and to our south in Long Beach.

• Replies 833
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the models are running a little too cold for this event, but the 06Z UKMET bisects L.I. and NYC with the 0oC isotherm for the entire day on Wednesday. Fun to forecast, I'll have to say that.

Yeah, I have to agree you rarely see that. Usually, that line is either south of LI or north of it-- I havent seen too many cases of it being across Long Island, unless it was over the barrier islands or east end for an entire day. Maybe for a couple hours.

I can't find any data for Long Beach, but the station in South Freeport I found on Wx Underground only had a high of 34.2F on 2/14/2007, while one in Bellmore had a high of 33.7F. JFK had a high of 32F. The real warmth was further east - ISP had a high of 39F.

http://www.wundergro...ar=2007&month=2

http://www.wundergro...ar=2007&month=2

Thanks! I think the Long Beach PWS might be out of commission now but they had a high in the upper 30s or lower 40s if I remember right. Freeport and Bellmore sound like they were much more in line with JFK.

The day where I remember seeing the greatest difference between JFK and Long Beach has to have been April 7, 2010, NYC's earliest 90 degree day (actually 92 there), when JFK hit 88 (it was 86 here) and Long Beach was in the upper 60s. I actually had the AC on here and if I had gone to Long Beach (about 2.5 miles south), I would have needed a sweater!

Thanks! I think the Long Beach PWS might be out of commission now but they had a high in the upper 30s or lower 40s if I remember right. Freeport and Bellmore sound like they were much more in line with JFK.

The day where I remember seeing the greatest difference between JFK and Long Beach has to have been April 7, 2010, NYC's earliest 90 degree day (actually 92 there), when JFK hit 88 (it was 86 here) and Long Beach was in the upper 60s. I actually had the AC on here and if I had gone to Long Beach (about 2.5 miles south), I would have needed a sweater!

There was a day in the spring of 1995 I think where NYC was 88 and Montauk was 48.

It was either a backdoor front coming in or a situation where the warm front made it through NYC but got wedged back a bit to the north and east of there. I can't remember which of the two.

I wonder if there's ever been a case where it was 70F or higher in NYC and it was snowing out on the east end. I know we've had cases where it was snowing on the east end and raining further to the west (the storm just before the big one in April 1996 being one example), but I dont think there's ever been anything extreme like 70s or higher in NYC while its snowing on Montauk.

It's hard to believe Long Beach got to near 40 on 2/14/2007 given that stations right on the water to their east (in Lindenhurst and West Islip) only hit 35-36F. Perhaps the thermometer at the Long Beach station wasn't calibrated properly.

http://www.wundergro...ay=14&year=2007

I think there have been cases in March where an Alberta Clipper moved off the NJ coast and parts of central NJ were basking in sunshine and west winds with temps in the 50s to near 60, while it was snowing and in the upper 20s/low 30s on LI.

I wonder if there's ever been a case where it was 70F or higher in NYC and it was snowing out on the east end. I know we've had cases where it was snowing on the east end and raining further to the west (the storm just before the big one in April 1996 being one example), but I dont think there's ever been anything extreme like 70s or higher in NYC while its snowing on Montauk.

It's hard to believe Long Beach got to near 40 on 2/14/2007 given that stations right on the water to their east (in Lindenhurst and West Islip) only hit 35-36F. Perhaps the thermometer at the Long Beach station wasn't calibrated properly.

It's possible-- maybe that's why they arent around anymore. I wonder if its possible to pull up old data from PWS no longer online? I remember the "call" letters-- it was either KNYLONGB1 or KNYLONGB2. If I have the letters wrong, Im sorry.

I think there have been cases in March where an Alberta Clipper moved off the NJ coast and parts of central NJ were basking in sunshine and west winds with temps in the 50s to near 60, while it was snowing and in the upper 20s/low 30s on LI.

Wow, that's two different seasons right there. I remember in April 2007 Philly and parts of Southern and Central NJ were reporting snow up to 1-2 inches, while it was raining in NYC and LI.

A similar thing happened in Oct 2008 or 2009 when New Brunswick had like 2 inches of snow and everyone else got rain.

Ask and you shall receive :) Here you go - high of 34.4F at the PWS in Long Beach on 2/14/2007.

It's possible-- maybe that's why they arent around anymore. I wonder if its possible to pull up old data from PWS no longer online? I remember the "call" letters-- it was either KNYLONGB1 or KNYLONGB2. If I have the letters wrong, Im sorry.

Hey guys i just wanted to chime in one of the best calls i've seen where a person said the rain/snow line would setup was D.T a couple of years ago. He said the line would setup right on the east river when i crossed the whitestone bridge sure enough thats where it was uncanny or a stroke of luck see ya.

The roads are falling apart pothole heaven for an old tire guy like myself its not a bad thing from my perspective ,but after this slopfest coming lookout this is gonna be the clusterbomb that seals the deal LOL . You know the old saying one mans poison is another mans medicine see ya.

Hey guys i just wanted to chime in one of the best calls i've seen where a person said the rain/snow line would setup was D.T a couple of years ago. He said the line would setup right on the east river when i crossed the whitestone bridge sure enough thats where it was uncanny or a stroke of luck see ya.

Mulen was that Dec 2005? I remember that one too. Great job by him!

The roads are falling apart pothole heaven for an old tire guy like myself its not a bad thing from my perspective ,but after this slopfest coming lookout this is gonna be the clusterbomb that seals the deal LOL . You know the old saying one mans poison is another mans medicine see ya.

Haha its a lot like what happened in 1993-94, We had more problems on the roads that winter than we did in 1995-96.

Im still waiting to meet the rest of the family of Dec 26, Jan 26, etc. ;)

to all Mets, big ice signal on the 06Z Nam. The model is now actually depicting severe icing .75"-1.00" for NYC and Long Island. Surface temps around 28-30F all day Wednesday with 8 hours of moderate ZR. I would expect an ice storm warning for NYC and LI for Tuesday night through Wednesday evening. That is after 2-3 inches of snow and sleet with Tuesday's initial warm frontal wave. The severe ice zone will include the immediate NW interior, NYC and LI. The 32 line should only make it to the south shore beaches with the NE wind and excellent low level CAA keeping the icing going with warm levels above the surface. Extremely dangerous situation that Mets must take into serious consideration. Anyone expecting a change to plain rain, is going to be shocked in NYC and just about all of LI. I really see the worse ice storm in 10-20 years with excellent model support from the 00Z GEM and 06Z NAM for severe icing to the immediate coast. GFS is too warm at the surface with astounding low level CAA for Wednesday to stay in the mid 30's all day on LI and NYC, it will likely be 5-8 degrees colder at the surface. I strongly feel that this is going to be the right solution once it is over, Hope the Mets see this possibility of strong low level CAA. The zone of severe icing needs to be adjusted to also include NYC and LI, not just the NW interior only. 1994 showed us that ZR can prevail and this setup very closely matches with the upper levels and surface to that 1/1994 severe ice event that hit NYC and LI. I do not see any difference for our area for impacts. Chime in ...

I would rather blow a call on ice and make sure people are aware than any other situation i could think of even if its remote possibility, the models suck this year for me its watch the radar and see how the system behaves i never thought we'd get snow in morning last week oops nuff said see ya.

2/13/07 continuing to steadily come up as the #1 analog along with 1/2/96 as the second.

Actually most of the precip fell 2/14/07 here is 2/14/07 from weather underground at newark - the problem with this analog is the temp never made it out of the 20's

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KEWR/2007/2/14/DailyHistory.html

the 1/2/96 -1/3/96 - analog has a problem also - it started out as rain and went to snow and ice and temps dropped into the 20's - this time around in 2011 the opposite will occur...

Archived