Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
NE OK/ NW AR/ SE KS/ SW MO Winter 2011 Part 2

okie333

• Replies 991
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guys is it really possible for this thing to dump 20-30" of snow realistically? I just dont know what to say really. My mouth hit the floor when i saw those maps

Not really, there is a reason most places in the Midwest and Plains have record snow events generally in the 12-16 inch range...the moisture is just not what you see along the East Coast for example or even Chicago or Cleveland where the Lakes can influence or enhance things a bit....convective elements cause the models to spit out crazy QPF often which they don't generally adjust down until inside 18-24 hours when they usually begin showing reasonable amounts...that said I do believe places in MO and NE OK will see around 14-16 inches but I'd be quite surprised if numbers in the 20s came about...even the 11/30/06 event which had widespread TSSN in W-C MO and a closed low the max amounts were generally 16-18.

Guys is it really possible for this thing to dump 20-30" of snow realistically? I just dont know what to say really. My mouth hit the floor when i saw those maps

Chances are low, but not zero. In late March, 2009, some isolated locations in NW Oklahoma received upwards of 25" of snow. So it is possible, but everything has to line up perfectly.

Not really, there is a reason most places in the Midwest and Plains have record snow events generally in the 12-16 inch range...the moisture is just not what you see along the East Coast for example or even Chicago or Cleveland where the Lakes can influence or enhance things a bit....convective elements cause the models to spit out crazy QPF often which they don't generally adjust down until inside 18-24 hours when they usually begin showing reasonable amounts...that said I do believe places in MO and NE OK will see around 14-16 inches but I'd be quite surprised if numbers in the 20s came about...even the 11/30/06 event which had widespread TSSN in W-C MO and a closed low the max amounts were generally 16-18.

Yea thats what I thought realistically. I was born and raised on the east coast and have seen some storms really bomb out there. Even there the biggest i ever seen was a 26" snowstorm. Yea thats a ton and it crippled the area.

Sorry I haven't been on here more. Updating blogs, looking at models, doing facebook and web are killing me. Here is my latest blog as of 20 minutes ago.

http://www.koamtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=13936451

Oh I wanted to say how much I love this forum. Also there are a ton of you that are very sharp. I want you guys to know that. Us weather nerds, meteorologists or not have to stick together.

Doug Heady

What's that 800 HP roaring engine sound? That's the Euro initializing..... Should be out pretty quickly tonight. It should look more like the GFS than the NAM. We shall see shortly.

From Chicago Storm:

36hrs: Sub 1004mb SLP in E. Texas.

Heavy precip from C. Texas to C. Oklahoma.

42hrs: 1000mb SLP in East/Central Arkansas.

Nice hit from OKC to KC

48hrs: 992mb SLP in SE. Missouri.

Nice hit from C. Illinois down into E. Kansas.

NAM is the outlier.

Archived