joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/29 NYC Clipper Discussion

Quincy

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol Ive always wondered how the mountains back there can tear a system up like that. I mean, theyre not even really mountains, theyre glorified hills around 1,500 ft elevation.

When there isn't a lot of moisture available and when what falls is dynamically driven, it doesn't take much to dry the snow up even with that amount of downslope.

Next time lake effect heats up, look at the State College radar and watch the snow bands disintegrate as they head east into the Susquehanna Valley. The snow comes down like crazy in those bands, but since the bands have very little water in them, it's easy to dry them up.

When there isn't a lot of moisture available and when what falls is dynamically driven, it doesn't take much to dry the snow up even with that amount of downslope.

Next time lake effect heats up, look at the State College radar and watch the snow bands disintegrate as they head east into the Susquehanna Valley. The snow comes down like crazy in those bands, but since the bands have very little water in them, it's easy to dry them up.

Wow, could you imagine what our climate would be like if we had a major mountain range like the Rockies about 100-200 miles west of us?

Very hot summers; much milder winters...

Yip, the downslope hitting the NYC Metro area would be tremendous. Although, if you had a strong coastal develop, you'd probably get historic amounts of snow on the eastern side of the mountains.

We'd have our own version of the Santa Anas in the summer, but on NW and W winds.

Wow, could you imagine what our climate would be like if we had a major mountain range like the Rockies about 100-200 miles west of us?

We would have massive chinooks when the winds were westerly but yet the same amount of humidity due to the Bermuda High and such. The thunderstorms would be much worse over NJ, and noreasters would clobber them even more than they already do because of upslope.

Yip, the downslope hitting the NYC Metro area would be tremendous. Although, if you had a strong coastal develop, you'd probably get historic amounts of snow on the eastern side of the mountains.

We'd have our own version of the Santa Anas in the summer, but on NW and W winds.

IF we had that, NYC would see 60 inches of snow in a single storm hell maybe more given the setup.

We would have massive chinooks when the winds were westerly but yet the same amount of humidity due to the Bermuda High and such. The thunderstorms would be much worse over NJ, and noreasters would clobber them even more than they already do because of upslope.

Everything sounds much more extreme lol. Even I would probably get tired of those kinds of summers, although Chris L's occasional 60" snowstorm might make up for it ;)

To get snow in NYC (assuming high mountains to the west) would be sort of the reverse (in terms of wind direction) of what they need for a snow event in Seattle, where they need strong northeast flow to funnel down the Cascades with an approaching Pacific storm...this is rare...and why Seattle generally averages less than 1' of snow per year...despite very high latitude...

So we'd need strong northwest flow ahead of an approaching Atlantic storm, William? I assume places in the "foothills" that is, NJ, etc-- would do much better because a strong northeast wind lifted over that elevation would result in copious snowfall.

NW flow would probably dry us out...would need to tap cold air from N. England and eastern Canada..but like I said...if this mountain range extends far to the north...there might not be much cold air to draw upon...

So we'd need a strong NE flow then. Well, if this hypothetical mountain range replaced the Apps, then it would probably run all the way up to southern Canada :(

The person at the other end of the dialogue is one of the few people who comment on my posts; I welcome his conversation.

I really enjoy talking about hypothetical and theoretical stuff-- I think my mind has a very strong affinity for that sort of thing. :thumbsup: Plus, I hold you in the same esteem as Don S., you put a similar amount of research and thoughtfulness into your posts.

Archived