12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Texas/MX Obs And Discussion Thread.

Srain

• Replies 973
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I live a mere minutes from Cowboy Stadium and we got over 5 inches of snow. Right now it is starting to snow again, rather moderately big flakes. Looks like another chance of snow during the Super Bowl Game? Temperatures this weekend are going to be colder than anyone forecasted due to the heavier snowfall received. NWS made a point about thermal profiles this weekend in the latest update. And yes, in reference to the above, another major winter storm possible midweek.

I will check my AccuWx Euro PPV, as Steve's PSU e-Wall maps have a very ice stormy feel to them...

Verbatim- not quite. Precip and cold don't quite match up at IAH. But close enough to stay interested. And verbatim Dallas is really close to another happy winter event Wednesday/Thursday. Most precip falls before temps reach freezing, but .09 falls during six hours when temps surface and 850 are barely above freezing and drop to well below freezing, and another 0.06 inches falls in the 6 hours after surface is below freezing, 850 is -5.5º and 1000-500 mb thickness is 537 dm, and only gets better by the end of the six hours.

But one of those thin dense Arctic airmasses move faster than global models can resolve situation, and Steve's e-Wall Euro above looks very interesting. And as also posted above, the general situation seems supported by the operational GFS and its ensembles.

I live a mere minutes from Cowboy Stadium and we got over 5 inches of snow. Right now it is starting to snow again, rather moderately big flakes. Looks like another chance of snow during the Super Bowl Game? Temperatures this weekend are going to be colder than anyone forecasted due to the heavier snowfall received. NWS made a point about thermal profiles this weekend in the latest update. And yes, in reference to the above, another major winter storm possible midweek.

Been snowing here on and off all morning with those nice big flakes :thumbsup: this storm just refuses to throw in the towel. Lots of post about the next threats but I haven't yet mustard up the energy to start perusing the models.

My friend from Dallas just wrote this to me:

"Yes, I am. I went with some friends last night to the NFL Experience Super Bowl festivities at the Dallas Convention Center. It ran from 9 p.m. to midnight. We thought we'd be fine because the weather people were saying it wouldn't start snowing until about 3 a.m. Well, it actually started at about 11:30. We went outside when we left there and walked around in it and took some pictures. It was really quite a sight as I had never been downtown in the snow before, and it was really coming down hard. We then drove back to my friends' place, and then I drove home. It took a while since we couldn't go more than about 15 mph. But, yeah, the snow is still falling as I write this, and it looks great outside. They predicted yesterday two to three inches at the most, and we've already had half a foot. Needless to say, schools are closed for the fourth straight day, so I am home again. "

4 days in a row with school cancelled (his high school he teaches) for weather--never in my entire tenure at Univ. of Grand Forks did I ever see a weather day :)

HGX afternoon snip:

THE NEXT LONGWAVE TROUGH WILL DIG SOUTH ACROSS THE ROCKIES ON

TUESDAY...WITH AN ARCTIC FRONT DROPPING SOUTH THROUGH THE PLAINS.

ONSHORE FLOW WILL DEVELOP BEGINNING EARLY TUESDAY WITH A

DEVELOPING 30-40 KT LOW LEVEL JET TRANSPORTING DEEPER MOISTURE

INTO THE AREA. EXPECT AN INCREASE IN CLOUD COVER AND WARMER

TEMPERATURES ON TUESDAY...WITH SCATTERED SHOWERS DEVELOPING

TUESDAY NIGHT IN THE WARM ADVECTION PATTERN. THE MODELS CONTINUE

TO SHOW VAST TIMING DIFFERENCES WITH THE ARCTIC FRONT...WITH THE

GFS SHOWING A FROPA TUESDAY NIGHT ABOUT 24 HOURS FASTER THAN THE

ECMWF. THINK A FASTER SOLUTION IS WARRANTED GIVEN THE STRENGTH OF

THE AIRMASS...AND LEANED TOWARD AN EARLY WEDNESDAY FROPA SIMILAR

TO THE PREVIOUS FORECAST. HAVE KEPT CHANCE POPS GOING IN THE

FORECAST FOR WEDNESDAY WITH SE TX STILL EAST OF THE TROUGH AXIS

AND SOME POST-FRONTAL STRATIFORM PRECIP DEVELOPING. GFS BUFR

SOUNDINGS DO SUGGEST THE POTENTIAL FOR SOME WINTRY PRECIPITATION

WEDNESDAY OVER OUR NRN ZONES...BUT HAVE LEFT OUT OF THE FORECAST

GIVEN THE ALL THE MODEL DISAGREEMENT. OF HIGHER CONFIDENCE WILL BE

ANOTHER ROUND OF VERY COLD TEMPERATURES LATE NEXT WEEK FOLLOWING

THIS FRONT. MODELS SHOW 850 MB TEMPS AS LOW AS -6C OVER THE

AREA. A HARD FREEZE APPEARS LIKELY ON WEDNESDAY NIGHT AND AGAIN

THURSDAY NIGHT

My friend from Dallas just wrote this to me:

"Yes, I am. I went with some friends last night to the NFL Experience Super Bowl festivities at the Dallas Convention Center. It ran from 9 p.m. to midnight. We thought we'd be fine because the weather people were saying it wouldn't start snowing until about 3 a.m. Well, it actually started at about 11:30. We went outside when we left there and walked around in it and took some pictures. It was really quite a sight as I had never been downtown in the snow before, and it was really coming down hard. We then drove back to my friends' place, and then I drove home. It took a while since we couldn't go more than about 15 mph. But, yeah, the snow is still falling as I write this, and it looks great outside. They predicted yesterday two to three inches at the most, and we've already had half a foot. Needless to say, schools are closed for the fourth straight day, so I am home again. "

4 days in a row with school cancelled (his high school he teaches) for weather--never in my entire tenure at Univ. of Grand Forks did I ever see a weather day :)

they have more than 2 snow plows. :P

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE HOUSTON/GALVESTON TX
648 AM CST SAT FEB 5 2011

...FEBRUARY BEGINS ON A FRIGID NOTE...

UNLESS YOU LIVE IN A CAVE OR AN IGLOO...YOU ARE PROBABLY AWARE
THAT THE FIRST FOUR DAYS OF FEBRUARY HAVE BEEN VERY COLD. THE
AVERAGE TEMPERATURE FOR THE PRIMARY CLIMATE SITES OF HOUSTON...
HOUSTON HOBBY AIRPORT...COLLEGE STATION AND GALVESTON HAVE ALL
AVERAGED ALMOST 20 DEGREES COLDER THAN THE 30 YEAR CLIMATE
NORMALS. HOUSTON AND COLLEGE STATION HAVE RECORDED FIVE
CONSECUTIVE MORNINGS WITH LOW TEMPERATURES IN THE 20S. THIS HAS
NOT HAPPENED IN FEBRUARY SINCE 1989. WIND CHILL VALUES HAVE ALSO
BEEN BRUTALLY COLD WITH VALUES DIPPING INTO THE SINGLE DIGITS A
FEW DAYS AGO.

BELOW IS A TABLE WITH THE COLDEST AVERAGE HIGH...LOW AND AVERAGE DAILY
TEMPERATURES FOR FEBRUARY (THROUGH THE 4TH) FOR THE FOUR PRIMARY
CLIMATE SITES:

HOUSTON

AVG HIGH             AVG LOW            AVG DAILY

36.2 1985            22.2 1951          30.8 1985
       38.5 1996            24.0 2011          32.1 1951
       42.0 1951            25.2 1985          33.0 1996
       42.8 1905            27.5 1996          33.8 2011
       43.5 2011            29.5 1917          39.2 1916

HOUSTON HOBBY

36.0 1996            20.2 1951          30.9 1951
       39.0 1985            27.0 2011          33.1 1996
       41.5 1951            28.2 1996          34.2 1985
       44.2 2011            29.5 1985          35.6 2011
       47.0 1978            32.0 1966          42.0 1980

COLLEGE STATION

32.5 1985            15.8 1951          27.0 1985
       35.0 1996            21.2 2011          29.4 1996
       42.0 2011            21.8 1985          29.5 1951
       42.8 1951            23.8 1996          31.6 2011
       42.8 1905            26.0 1918          37.3 1916

GALVESTON

38.0 1985            26.8 1951          34.0 1985
       39.2 1996            28.5 2011          34.2 1951
       41.8 1951            30.0 1985          35.0 1996
       42.0 2011            30.8 1996          35.2 2011
       45.8 1978            34.2 1917          42.2 1905

EACH OF THE PRIMARY CLIMATE SITES HAD THEIR 2ND COLDEST AVERAGE
LOW TEMPERATURES FOR THE FIRST FOUR DAYS OF THE MONTH. ALTHOUGH
TEMPERATURES REBOUND A BIT DURING THE FIRST HALF OF NEXT WEEK...
IT TURNS COLDER FOR THE SECOND HALF WITH LOW TEMPERATURES BACK IN
THE 20S. DON`T LET THE COLD START TO THE MONTH FOOL YOU. BACK IN
1996...THE FIRST FOUR DAYS OF FEBRUARY WERE COLD BUT AN EXPANSIVE
UPPER RIDGE BUILT OVER TEXAS ON THE 21ST...22ND AND 23RD WITH
COLLEGE STATION RECORDING A RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 99 DEGREES
ON THE 21ST AND HOUSTON RECORDING A RECORD HIGH OF 90 ON THE 22ND.
AHHHH WEATHER...YOU JUST NEVER KNOW.

$$

EACH OF THE PRIMARY CLIMATE SITES HAD THEIR 2ND COLDEST AVERAGE

LOW TEMPERATURES FOR THE FIRST FOUR DAYS OF THE MONTH. ALTHOUGH TEMPERATURES REBOUND A BIT DURING THE FIRST HALF OF NEXT WEEK... IT TURNS COLDER FOR THE SECOND HALF WITH LOW TEMPERATURES BACK IN THE 20S. DON`T LET THE COLD START TO THE MONTH FOOL YOU. BACK IN

1996...THE FIRST FOUR DAYS OF FEBRUARY WERE COLD BUT AN EXPANSIVE

UPPER RIDGE BUILT OVER TEXAS ON THE 21ST...22ND AND 23RD WITH

COLLEGE STATION RECORDING A RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 99 DEGREES

ON THE 21ST AND HOUSTON RECORDING A RECORD HIGH OF 90 ON THE 22ND.

AHHHH WEATHER...YOU JUST NEVER KNOW.

Yes, but with a second strong cold shot coming, one anomalous warm event like described in 1996 will not be enough this time to offset the cold anomalies experienced through mid-month. There is nothing in the long range modelling to indicate warming of this magnitude either. So, point is Febrary is likely to be below normal, at least at DFW regardless.

Yes, but with a second strong cold shot coming, one anomalous warm event like described in 1996 will not be enough this time to offset the cold anomalies experienced through mid-month. There is nothing in the long range modelling to indicate warming of this magnitude either. So, point is Febrary is likely to be below normal, at least at DFW regardless.

There does appear to be another cold shot on the horizon near the 15th, +/- a day or two. With that said, we are nearing the time frame when sensible weather will begin to warm. Although March is known for some interesting events and even brief flirts of wintry weather is not out of the question.

There does appear to be another cold shot on the horizon near the 15th, +/- a day or two. With that said, we are nearing the time frame when sensible weather will begin to warm. Although March is known for some interesting events and even brief flirts of wintry weather is not out of the question.

I was just doing my forecast for the week for DFW and looking over the forecast of other forecasters for this week, the warmest day is set to be Tuesday with high in the low 50s, this is still below normal for this time of year for DFW. That means with the second cold shot we have solid below normal days through next weekend. It is going to take something incredible just to pull us up to neutral for the month, and I honestly don't see that in the cards. We are currently, as of yesterday, sitting at 24.9 below normal. I think the potential exists for one of the coldest, if not the coldest, February on record at DFW. As I have stated before, if February comes in below normal, the entire winter at DFW will be below normal and many long-range forecasts for this are are going to bust. This month's best analog is probably February of 1989.

Nice shot of your snow cover, DFWWeather. I suspect you wont loose too much during our brief warm up early this week...inversion layer ftw...

From personal experience, snow melts fast in DFW. I think the halfway to the Equinox sun angles in a Southern US state helps, and the ~50 degree day Tuesday will be the coup de grace for most of the snow pack. Maybe shaded locations will survive.

Just personal experience.

From personal experience, snow melts fast in DFW. I think the halfway to the Equinox sun angles in a Southern US state helps, and the ~50 degree day Tuesday will be the coup de grace for most of the snow pack. Maybe shaded locations will survive.

Just personal experience.

There will be low clouds with the inversion layer. Those 50's progged will likely bust big time. I suspect there will some light additional snow tomorrow. Early indications are much heavier totals are ahead for Tuesday night/Wednesday as well.

There will be low clouds with the inversion layer. Those 50's progged will likely bust big time. I suspect there will some light additional snow tomorrow. Early indications are much heavier totals are ahead for Tuesday night/Wednesday as well.

Snow on snow on snow, I can't remember that ever happening up there, if it does happen.

Unofficial winter results so far:

Almost a FOOT of snow :snowman: , thunder and heavy sleet event (didn't measure but maybe 0.5" to 1"), and a couple of mornings of freezing drizzle / fog

This has made the transition from NOVA to Texas pretty smooth! :guitar:

Now lets see if we can squeeze out another 1" tomorrow before what could maybe be the Big One on Tuesday night / Wed!

GFS verbatim, looking at the AccuWx PPV raw text, DFW version of Armageddon, about four inches of snow over a quarter inch of ice. But not until Tuesday night and Wednesday.

Plus any snow that can survive the brief thaw...

A dusting before the Super Bowl. 2 meter temps above freezing, normally bad for accumulations with such light snow, but should be a fresh dusting on pre-existing snow pack. NAM similar, a touch colder.

Archived