northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
PHL CWA JAN 26/27 OBS and Discussion Thread

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So you're saying you're better than Gorse & Company? :whistle:

When I read a better AFD by Tombo than Gorse he can gladly have that title ;)

I remember reading a few last winter and I was like "Who the hell is this guy and why is he making these AFD's enjoyable.... why is this... actually... enjoyable?? "

My thoughts for the storm and (very) amateur forecast (for the PHL area only):

A very difficult storm to forecast--I don't envy Mike, Tony, Walt, or anybody at Mt. Holly one bit.

I think the morning will find some snow, sleet, and rain mixed down to the city with little or no accumulation except possibly some slush on the usual areas. Accumulating snow could start far north and west of the city by mid morning and continue in earnest throughout the day, occasionally mixing with sleet and rain. As the H5 low closes off and begins to bomb the surface low, cold air will rush in behind the storm, allowing for a changeover to all snow for the entire area.

Changeover times:

Those northern/western Suburbs of PHL that don't stay mostly snow will change over by 3-4pm. As you get closer to the city, I'd expect a changeover to snow by 5-6pm, with interior southern New Jersey changing by 6-7pm and even out to the coast before 9pm.

As the precip changes over and the low intensifies, a significant banding feature will become apparent, under which snowfall rates of up to 2"/hr will verify, and thunder may be heard during the nighttime hours. It's my belief, looking at guidance, that this band will be setting up 25 miles either side of a line running from southern New Castle County, DE---Elizabeth, NJ line. So if you live in an area bordered by Hammonton, NJ, Freehold, NJ, back through Morristown, NJ, Flemington, NJ, through just to the north and west of Philadelphia, Norristown, PA, Media, PA, and WIlmington, DE, I think you will see this intense banding starting around 8-9pm tonight, and this will provide the area in which it sets up snowfall rates of nearly 2" per hour for a 3-5 hour span. Again, thunder is well possible as dynamics are ripe and the atmosphere is unstable.

The snow will taper off to light snow and flurries, ending from SW to NE in the overnight hours, and should be gone except for some flurries by daybreak Thursday.

Accumulations--yes I know the map sucks, but it's 4am and I suck at Paint.

post-1595-0-01293500-1296033112.jpg

I remember reading a few last winter and I was like "Who the hell is this guy and why is he making these AFD's enjoyable and interesting for once.. "

I doubt I could top a Gorse AFD so the chances that Tombo could are... ;)

I remember reading a few last winter and I was like "Who the hell is this guy and why is he making these AFD's enjoyable.... why is this... actually... enjoyable?? "

Thanks, I think. ;)

I doubt I could top a Gorse AFD so the chances that Tombo could are... ;)

Come on, you know you want to. :lol:

Mosaic would probably splice all nearby radars together. Site is just one radar. Which one you want depends on distance from the radar site. Harrisburg people would likely want mosaic. Mt. Laurel people likely want site.

I'm going to stick with the one that shows no precipitation, because that's exactly what I've got.

i cant see full sounding, but levels surf, 925 and 850 are fine for this morn and the gfs has .1-.25 this morn so far through 9hrs.

@ 15Z it has the column at or below freezing down to the surface, but it's exactly at 0C @ 800mb (that's extrapolated from 40N, 75W).

The GFS is actually moving colder air in at the 900mb-surface layer as early as this AM.

Then at 18Z, it gives you:

GFS_3_2011012606_F12_40.0000N_75.0000W.png

Yuk. By 21Z it still has the warm nose at 750-800 mb (0.7C)--that looks like IP to ZR to me.

Archived