Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
PHL CWA JAN 26/27 OBS and Discussion Thread

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depends on how much precip gets up there during the morning and midday. If its very little like the NAM has, then there's a good shot at all snow. You can see on the national radar composite the warm dry slot aimed right for NJ... those areas typically have a non-snow p-type.

Hi Ray, could you please elaborate what you mean by warm dry slot aimed for NJ I'm a complete novice here. I was under the impression that NJ was going to do fairly well for snowfall totals looking at the maps and model readings. Thanks,

Depends on how much precip gets up there during the morning and midday. If its very little like the NAM has, then there's a good shot at all snow. You can see on the national radar composite the warm dry slot aimed right for NJ... those areas typically have a non-snow p-type.

excellent note. thanks... i think. lol

Hi Ray, could you please elaborate what you mean by warm dry slot aimed for NJ I'm a complete novice here. I was under the impression that NJ was going to do fairly well for snowfall totals looking at the maps and model readings. Thanks,

I was referring to the early portion of the storm (before about 21Z or so). On the attached national radar composite, you can see the large dry area advecting northward in the Carolinas, and the scattered light to moderate precip ahead of it. That's what I was referring to. I think there is a high risk of mixing with the lead precip, assuming it makes it into the area as the GFS depicts and doesn't dry up like the NAM shows.

Edit: might help if I attach the image :arrowhead:

post-39-0-31593900-1296024500.gif

I was referring to the early portion of the storm (before about 21Z or so). On the attached national radar composite, you can see the large dry area advecting northward in the Carolinas, and the scattered light to moderate precip ahead of it. That's what I was referring to. I think there is a high risk of mixing with the lead precip, assuming it makes it into the area as the GFS depicts and doesn't dry up like the NAM shows.

Edit: might help if I attach the image :arrowhead:

Thanks Ray that helped explain it!

Archived