• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
PHL CWA JAN 26/27 OBS and Discussion Thread

Ok, folks. I'm in for a nice, general 5-10" snowfall for the general PHL area, with the jackpot being about 10-20 miles to the N/W of I-95.

Let's talk why, and let's talk why it's going to have a helluva time snowing and sticking by the AM rush hour--also known as why this is slop to snow for most.

First, surface temps:

The shore area is already above freezing, with WWD reporting 37/34 and ACY reporting 36/30. This is no surprise.

PHL is at 34, PNE is 31, and Pottstown is 33 with some drier air around. Dews are in the mid-to-upper 20s.

Further south, you have ILG and DOV at 34, Patuxent at 36 with rain, Wallops Island is at 38 with rain, and it's 39 and raining at SBY.

After yesterday's highs in the low and mid 30s, anything that falls without a significant rate is melting on contact even once the column gets saturated.

Move up the column to 925mb. Checking mesoanalysis, the 0C line at 925 mb runs currently through Pittsburgh-->Reading-->Allentown-->Northern 1/3 of Long Island, so anything that falls is partially melting through the column.

Continue up to 850mb. The 0C line at 850mb runs through Williamsburg, VA to Ocean City, MD right now, with a westerly flow the whole way. Once the coastal gets going, that flow will change and advect warm air even up to that layer.

Not being negative, but I wouldn't expect squat by daybreak, and there's almost no way in hell anybody SE of a Lancaster-->Reading-->Allentown line should expect any accumulation until the coastal gets really going. The damage from this is happening after sunset tonight. It may being snowing, but nothing's going to lay.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, folks. I'm in for a nice, general 5-10" snowfall for the general PHL area, with the jackpot being about 10-20 miles to the N/W of I-95.

Let's talk why, and let's talk why it's going to have a helluva time snowing and sticking by the AM rush hour--also known as why this is slop to snow for most.

First, surface temps:

The shore area is already above freezing, with WWD reporting 37/34 and ACY reporting 36/30. This is no surprise.

PHL is at 34, PNE is 31, and Pottstown is 33 with some drier air around. Dews are in the mid-to-upper 20s.

Further south, you have ILG and DOV at 34, Patuxent at 36 with rain, Wallops Island is at 38 with rain, and it's 39 and raining at SBY.

After yesterday's highs in the low and mid 30s, anything that falls without a significant rate is melting on contact even once the column gets saturated.

Move up the column to 925mb. Checking mesoanalysis, the 0C line at 925 mb runs currently through Pittsburgh-->Reading-->Allentown-->Northern 1/3 of Long Island, so anything that falls is partially melting through the column.

Continue up to 850mb. The 0C line at 850mb runs through Williamsburg, VA to Ocean City, MD right now, with a westerly flow the whole way. Once the coastal gets going, that flow will change and advect warm air even up to that layer.

Not being negative, but I wouldn't expect squat by daybreak, and there's almost no way in hell anybody SE of a Lancaster-->Reading-->Allentown line should expect any accumulation until the coastal gets really going. The damage from this is happening after sunset tonight. It may being snowing, but nothing's going to lay.

meso analysis has dc at +4 925 and they are snowing with snow accumulating, read the obs down there.

OK now its light snow at Andrews and DCA...

SPECI KADW 260750Z AUTO 05005KT 2 1/2SM R01R/5000VP6000FT -SN OVC021 00/M02 A3001 RMK AO2 UPB0657E0659SNB0732RAB0659E0732 OVC V BKN SLP168 $

METAR KDCA 260751Z 04006KT 1 3/4SM -SN BKN018 OVC024 02/M02 A3004 RMK AO2 SNB07 SLP173 P0000 T00171022

meso analysis has dc at +4 925 and they are snowing with snow accumulating, read the obs down there.

Dry air at the same level is likely allowing the snowflakes to make it through. Wetbulb temps are below freezing throughout. Once it saturates they'll change over.

post-39-0-73366800-1296028623.gif

I can imagine snow, but I can't see accumulation with that temperature profile, especially since at 2am KADW reported 34/27 with -RN.

Hey, I'm in for a doozy tonight. I just don't want to come on the boards and hear "bust!" all morning when nobody within 15 miles of downtown PHL sees accumulating snow before 4pm...It's all about expectation.

I can imagine snow, but I can't see accumulation with that temperature profile, especially since at 2am KADW reported 34/27 with -RN.

Hey, I'm in for a doozy tonight. I just don't want to come on the boards and hear "bust!" all morning when nobody within 15 miles of downtown PHL sees accumulating snow before 4pm...It's all about expectation.

i dont think anyone is expecting any snow of much in the morning. Everyone knows tomorrow eve is the show.

Archived