• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Winter '10-'11 Obs/Discussion I

PennMan

If I'm bothering you guys with my Germany ex reports, tell me and I'll stp!

Today we ventured into Austria, to theLake District south if Salzburg. It was snowing when we left Munich and never stopped (still going). They have prob 3 feet of snow in the Austrian Alps already and are wayyyyyy ahead ossnow schedule. It got up toabalmy 27 and headed to 11 back here inMunich. Tomorrow afternoon we train it to Nutrmberg fir 3 days where - you guessed it - snows predicted each day.

If you guys miss snow, get to Germany. They are in sweet spit.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like we may have a heavy rain event to watch Tuesday-Wednesday. SREF avg. is more than 2" for all of Central PA...

Yeah, looks wet. Flood watches up. Any thoughts on the possible period of snow to end the precipitation?

Currently: 43° here after a low of 19° this morning.

Yeah, looks wet. Flood watches up. Any thoughts on the possible period of snow to end the precipitation?

Currently: 43° here after a low of 19° this morning.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the higher elevations along Route 219 pick up a quick inch as the precip ends, but the boundary layer should be too warm farther east to allow much, if any snow to fall. The GFS continues to insist that 2-4" of snow will fall on the back end all the way down to I-99, but every other model moves the cold air in much slower, which I tend to agree with.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the higher elevations along Route 219 pick up a quick inch as the precip ends, but the boundary layer should be too warm farther east to allow much, if any snow to fall. The GFS continues to insist that 2-4" of snow will fall on the back end all the way down to I-99, but every other model moves the cold air in much slower, which I tend to agree with.

Yeah, that seems to be common with rain-->snow-->precip cutoff events...too little too late for much. I'll be happy to see some flakes to be honest.

Some of the QPF amounts showing up are in the 3-4" range, hopefully we don't get those types of rains, after that recent bout of rain a couple a weeks ago really moistened the ground up fairly well. Rain amounts of 5"! were even showing up on the NWS QPF amounts. I agree with you guys, I just don't see much wrap around snow, maybe high elevations of 1500-2500' range? possible pick up 2"

nice that clearfield is the jackpot in rain but it never seems to happen with the big snowstorms.

i need a big snowstorm this year (18 inches or more):)

could you imagine these totals as snow 40-60 inches.

The NWS in state college pa has issued a

Flood warning for urban areas and small streams in, mckean county, clearfield county, cameron county, potter county, elk county, northwestern clinton county,

Until 515 am est,

At 1120 pm est national weather service doppler radar indicated a large area of heavy rain continuing to spread northeast across the warned area. Rainfall amounts have averaged between 2.5 and 3.5 inches in most places. The heaviest rain so far has fallen across the higher terrain of northern and western clearfield county where nearly 4 inches was estimated by doppler radar.

Additional heavy rain of 1 to 2 inches overnight will lead to flooding along numerous streams and creeks, and cause flooding of low lying and poor drainage areas in cities and towns.

Some locations that may experience flooding include, lewis run, mount jewett, norwich, port allegany, lumber city, penfield, clearfield, emporium, ridgway, brandy camp, oswayo, and coudersport.

Precautionary/preparedness actions,

Be especially cautious at night when it is harder to recognize the dangers of floods and flash floods.

nice that clearfield is the jackpot in rain but it never seems to happen with the big snowstorms.

i need a big snowstorm this year (18 inches or more):)

could you imagine these totals as snow 40-60 inches.

The NWS in state college pa has issued a

Flood warning for urban areas and small streams in, mckean county, clearfield county, cameron county, potter county, elk county, northwestern clinton county,

Until 515 am est,

At 1120 pm est national weather service doppler radar indicated a large area of heavy rain continuing to spread northeast across the warned area. Rainfall amounts have averaged between 2.5 and 3.5 inches in most places. The heaviest rain so far has fallen across the higher terrain of northern and western clearfield county where nearly 4 inches was estimated by doppler radar.

Additional heavy rain of 1 to 2 inches overnight will lead to flooding along numerous streams and creeks, and cause flooding of low lying and poor drainage areas in cities and towns.

Some locations that may experience flooding include, lewis run, mount jewett, norwich, port allegany, lumber city, penfield, clearfield, emporium, ridgway, brandy camp, oswayo, and coudersport.

Precautionary/preparedness actions,

Be especially cautious at night when it is harder to recognize the dangers of floods and flash floods.

And the scary part is, the radar is still showing a lot of heavy rain to our south and west that still has yet to move through...

i just drove downtown to check out the Susquehanna river but its not all that impressive yet.

by morning it may be more impressive.

Once the swollen streams and creeks drain into the Susquehanna, it will shoot up. NWS has a current stage of 9.8 feet at Lock Haven now, but cresting at 22.5 feet by Thursday morning. So by this time tomorrow night, it may look a little more menacing out your way...

Once the swollen streams and creeks drain into the Susquehanna, it will shoot up. NWS has a current stage of 9.8 feet at Lock Haven now, but cresting at 22.5 feet by Thursday morning. So by this time tomorrow night, it may look a little more menacing out your way...

i will be keeping my eye on it..

i'll check it out tomorrow afternoon.

About 1 3/4" here in Maytown when I left for work around 5:30 this morning. Light rain here at work right now. Seems that most of the heaviest rain is north/northwest of here for now. Radar to the south suggests some heavier periods of rain still coming, but not to the magnitude of what our Central PA folks saw last night.

Wind was howling at the southeast overnight, though. My high wind checklist went as follows:

Christmas lights: Hanging low (Check)

Recycling bin: Gone (Check)

At least one scared kid who came running into our room overnight: 2 (Check)

What a mess here this morning. Locally around the Bellwood/Antis Township area (Blair County) all the usual suspects are pretty well flooded over. Unfortunately, I don't have very much to share outside of the road to my house since my truck had a bit of a major mechanical failure last night.

Here's one end of our road (the other end is flooded too). I don't know why my phone won't transfer over a picture that is actually upright.

post-1507-0-42386100-1291210715.jpg

Otherwise, precip has begun to changeover here with it now being a wind driven sleet. I guess if it isn't gonna end, it might as well be something else.

*Update: In the time it took to try to fix my picture, theres now some flakes mixing in

Gusting 25-30kts here in State College pretty frequently. It was 57° here just before 6AM, now 39° at my apartment. It's changed over to snow in Johnstown.

Changed over at Clearfield and Dubois: http://www.511pa.com/Traffic.aspx

Click on the cameras to see. Roads look like they are starting to get covered on Rt 22 west of Altoona.

Edit: Appears to be starting to change over at Port Matilda.

I had 59 degrees here in State College around 4:00am. It's now 35 and falling, but still raining. Looks like the snow is starting to stick in Altoona:

D09-025.jpg

Yea it sure is. Up here in Bellwood the period of sleet transitioned over to snow and its been snowing pretty hard the last 20-30min. The grounds got a nice coating and the road by the house is even starting to cover up. So in addition to it being flooded on both ends, its now getting snow on it. What a morning. :drunk:

[/color][/b]I love that site. It really helps here at work. With our trucks going all over the State, i can really keep track of the roads during storms.

Not sure if it's new this year, but the Winter Road Conditions checkmark on 511pa looks pretty handy -- shows the road conditions even where there aren't any cameras. Right now, it's showing where Route 219 goes from wet to where it has some snow/slush on it.

KFIG now reporting heavy snow

Winter Weather Advisory now up to the NW of I-99...

WARREN-MCKEAN-POTTER-ELK-CAMERON-NORTHERN CLINTON-CLEARFIELD-

NORTHERN CENTRE-CAMBRIA-SOMERSET-TIOGA-NORTHERN LYCOMING-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...WARREN...BRADFORD...COUDERSPORT...

ST. MARYS...RIDGWAY...EMPORIUM...RENOVO...DUBOIS...CLEARFIELD...

PHILIPSBURG...JOHNSTOWN...SOMERSET...MANSFIELD...WELLSBORO

952 AM EST WED DEC 1 2010

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 4 PM EST THIS

AFTERNOON...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN STATE COLLEGE HAS ISSUED A WINTER

WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 4 PM EST

THIS AFTERNOON.

* LOCATION...THE NORTHERN AND WESTERN MOUNTAINS OF PENNSYLVANIA.

* PRECIPITATION TYPE...SNOW...HEAVY AT TIMES.

* ACCUMULATIONS...1 TO 3 INCHES...WITH UP TO 4 INCHES ON THE SOME

OF THE RIDGE TOPS.

* TIMING...THROUGH 4 PM THIS AFTERNOON.

* WINDS...WEST 10 TO 15 MPH...GUSTING TO 25 MPH.

* IMPACTS...SNOW AND ICE COVERED ROADS. POOR VISIBILITY UNDER ONE

QUARTER OF A MILE IN AREAS OF HEAVY SNOW AND FOG.

* TEMPERATURES...NEARLY STEADY IN THE UPPER 20S TO LOWER 30S.

Archived