Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Richmond Metro/ Hampton roads obs/disco winter thread

Midlo Snow Maker

whistle.gif

Honestly, that seems fair but I'm thinking we'll see a few 1-3 inch totals somewhere.

Keep in mind that we're going to be dealing with some pretty dry air during the onset. Were probably going to see a nice amount of virga and it may take some time to get those dew points up before anything can reach the ground. But, what else is new? If it's not precip-type problems, it's dry air! :angry:

wavy.png

I would push it a hair more north near Lunenburg, Brunswick, and Prince Edward. But otherwise, it looks like a really good forecast.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

nowcasting time but the 12z nam came north

12Z Ruc appeared to be a few hours slower with the L and also was about 50 miles (+/-) further N with the precip shield -VS- the 6Z Ruc.

Disclosure: I'm probably THE least skilled person on this board (simply a hobbiest), so i'm not sure how much faith I should put into the Ruc, but I just wanted to point out the discrepancies between the two runs. Obviously the precip shield being further N is a good sign, but i'm not sure how much benefit the slow down of the L is to the Mid-Atlantic area.

The outer banks north of Oregon Inlet have a winter weather advisory. Anyone have user: OBXsnowman's (from eastrn) email address? Would love to hear some reports for areas to the south that may get under heavier precip.

Just saw that.

NCZ046-047-081-103-050600-/O.NEW.KMHX.WW.Y.0006.101204T2300Z-101205T0900Z/TYRRELL-MAINLAND DARE-MAINLAND HYDE-OUTER BANKS DARE-INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...COLUMBIA...KILL DEVIL HILLS...KITTY HAWK...NAGS HEAD...SOUTHERN SHORES137 PM EST SAT DEC 4 2010...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 6 PM THIS EVENING TO4 AM EST SUNDAY...THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN NEWPORT/MOREHEAD CITY HAS ISSUEDA WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR LIGHT SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 6PM THIS EVENING TO 4 AM EST SUNDAY.* PRECIPITATION TYPES: LIGHT SNOW MIXED WITH RAIN AT THE ONSET NORTH OF A OREGON INLET TO STUMPY POINT TO PONZER LINE. SOUTH OF THIS OF LINE LIGHT RAIN WILL OCCUR WHICH WILL MIX WITH AND EVENTUALLY BRIEFLY CHANGE OVER TO LIGHT SNOW BEFORE ENDING LATE TONIGHT.* ACCUMULATION: LITTLE ACCUMULATION IS EXPECTED IN MOST AREAS DUE TO THE LIGHT NATURE OF THE PRECIPITATION...THE LIKELIHOOD OF THE SNOW MIXING WITH RAIN...AND WARM GROUND TEMPERATURES. AREAS ALONG AND NORTH OF A OREGON INLET TO COLUMBIA LINE CAN EXPECT A DUSTING TO AROUND A SLUSHY INCH ON GRASSY SURFACES.* TIMING: MOST OF THE SNOW WILL FALL BETWEEN 7 PM SATURDAY AND 4 AM SUNDAY.* IMPACTS: THERE MAY BE SOME SLIPPERY SPOTS ON BRIDGES...OVERPASSES AND ELEVATED HIGHWAYS.* TEMPERATURES: READINGS WILL QUICKLY DROP INTO THE LOWER AND MIDDLE 30S ONCE THE HEAVIER PRECIPITATION BEGINS THIS EVENING.

The outer banks north of Oregon Inlet have a winter weather advisory. Anyone have user: OBXsnowman's (from eastrn) email address? Would love to hear some reports for areas to the south that may get under heavier precip.

Have not seen him and don't have his email, one of the ones we have been trying to find on the SE side as he is absent... Opened my contest for folks in VA, given the close relationship between NE NC and SE VA when it comes to SN. Deadline is 6pm EST, just give the city or town with the highest total east of 77 in NC and win a prize.

I got a FB feed from a friend in FVX....apparently snow there now, too.

Looking at the radar, if you draw a line along I-64 from ORF to Staunton and anywhere south of there.....you should be happy to see snow. If you are north of it....well, u might see something, but not sure it will coat anything. Plus, looks like it has really picked up speed.

Winter Weather Advisory

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGENATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE WAKEFIELD VA209 PM EST SAT DEC 4 2010...A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR LIGHT SNOW IN EFFECT FOR MUCH OFTHE REGION SOUTH OF INTERSTATE 64..

.A LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM ALONG THE TENNESSEE...KENTUCKY BORDER EARLYTHIS AFTERNOON WILL TRACK EAST...SOUTHEAST AND BE OFF THE SOUTHERNNORTH CAROLINA COAST AROUND OR SHORTLY AFTER MIDNIGHT. A MIX OFRAIN AND SNOW WILL DEVELOP NORTH OF THE LOW TRACK...FIRST ACROSSAREAS WEST OF I-95 DURING THE MID AND LATE AFTERNOON HOURS...THENEAST OF I-95 BY EARLY EVENING. THE PRECIPITATION WILL BECOME ALLSNOW WITHIN AN HOUR OR SO AFTER BEGINNING...AND IS EXPECTED TOACCUMULATE AROUND ONE INCH OVER THE ADVISORY AREA...MAINLY ON NON-PAVED SURFACES...WITH SLIGHTLY HIGHER AMOUNTS POSSIBLE.

totalsnow.png

Archived