Midlo Snow Maker

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There have been a couple decent snows for ORF in December...speaking of which

"This Day in Local Weather History:

December 02

1896 Winter Storm: 8.0" snow Norfolk"

Yup. I was just mentioning the record because it may be in reach.

The 2 day total (between Dec 2 and 3, 1896) for that storm was 11.0". It holds tied spot #8 for all-time record snowfalls for ORF.

WAKE UP ric boys first flakes tonight?

VAZ070-030415-

CHESTERFIELD-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...COLONIAL HEIGHTS

352 PM EST THU DEC 2 2010

.TONIGHT...PARTLY CLOUDY EARLY THIS EVENING...THEN BECOMING MOSTLY

CLOUDY. A CHANCE OF FLURRIES AFTER MIDNIGHT. LOWS IN THE UPPER 20S.

LIGHT AND VARIABLE WINDS...BECOMING NORTH AROUND 5 MPH AFTER

MIDNIGHT.

.FRIDAY...PARTLY SUNNY. A CHANCE OF FLURRIES EARLY IN THE MORNING.

HIGHS IN THE MID 40S. NORTHWEST WINDS 5 TO 10 MPH.

.FRIDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLEAR. LOWS IN THE MID 20S. NORTHWEST WINDS

AROUND 5 MPH.

.SATURDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY. HIGHS IN THE MID 40S. NORTHWEST WINDS

AROUND 5 MPH.

.SATURDAY NIGHT...CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF SNOW SHOWERS IN THE

EVENING...THEN PARTLY CLOUDY AFTER MIDNIGHT. LOWS IN THE UPPER 20S.

NORTHWEST WINDS AROUND 5 MPH. CHANCE OF SNOW 40 PERCENT.

.SUNDAY...MOSTLY SUNNY AND BREEZY. HIGHS IN THE LOWER 40S.

.SUNDAY NIGHT...CLEAR. LOWS IN THE MID 20S.

.MONDAY AND MONDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLEAR AND BREEZY. HIGHS IN THE

LOWER 40S. LOWS IN THE MID 20S.

.TUESDAY AND TUESDAY NIGHT...PARTLY CLOUDY. HIGHS AROUND 40. LOWS IN

THE MID 20S.

.WEDNESDAY...MOSTLY SUNNY. HIGHS AROUND 40.

.WEDNESDAY NIGHT AND THURSDAY...CLEAR. LOWS IN THE LOWER 20S. HIGHS

IN THE LOWER 40S.

Wish I could stay up to usher them in but too late a night last night. Here is hoping, and here is to keeping the magical 12/5 chance of snow alive this weekend.

Great to find you guys again. I will have to check my home e-mail but it was either MidlothianWX or RICAirport that PM'd me so thanks. BTW...love the avatar MidlothianWX. The Sycamore Square Ukrop's sign! I worked for the Krops for 9 years, the last few at the Main Office in IT and when I went to that store and saw that sign, I thought it was the scariest thing associated with Ukrop's.

Wish I could stay up to usher them in but too late a night last night. Here is hoping, and here is to keeping the magical 12/5 chance of snow alive this weekend.

Great to find you guys again. I will have to check my home e-mail but it was either MidlothianWX or RICAirport that PM'd me so thanks. BTW...love the avatar MidlothianWX. The Sycamore Square Ukrop's sign! I worked for the Krops for 9 years, the last few at the Main Office in IT and when I went to that store and saw that sign, I thought it was the scariest thing associated with Ukrop's.

Glad to have you back! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I agree - the sign over there is pretty intimidating, but I love it at the same time. Only difference now is that it says Martin's thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

Temps in the mid 30s with barely any moisture making it past the Apps. Yeah, I'll buy what they're selling...

Yeah, the only thing I think they might be right on is that the models may be killing to much moisture before making it to the east side of the mountains.

Yeah, the only thing I think they might be right on is that the models may be killing to much moisture before making it to the east side of the mountains.

I don't, it's usually the other way around.

The only way I see SEVA or NENC doing well is if the clipper can turn north as it hits the coast. Every model now has it straight out to sea. So right now I see this as being a non event. Maybe we get some light snow showers but that's it.

A few 20-30 Dbz showing up now on radar. Any flakes reaching the ground out there?

Are you looking at composite reflectivity?

I don't, it's usually the other way around.

The only way I see SEVA or NENC doing well is if the clipper can turn north as it hits the coast. Every model now has it straight out to sea. So right now I see this as being a non event. Maybe we get some light snow showers but that's it.

I really did not expect this southward trend to continue on this long. Crazy. Still have a couple days to watch though.

Are you looking at composite reflectivity?

I really did not expect this southward trend to continue on this long. Crazy. Still have a couple days to watch though.

This now reminds me of when Cape Hatteras got a foot of snow back in 2003-2004?

A power clipper comes though but doesn't really do much until the low strengthens just off the coast.

This now reminds me of when Cape Hatteras got a foot of snow back in 2003-2004?

A power clipper comes though but doesn't really do much until the low strengthens just off the coast.

All the pieces really did come together that day. Sub-zero wind chills across the outer banks..

The storm that hit OBX was in January 2003. I was a student at ODU at the time. Jon Cash was all over it, but the storm turned out to be a disappointment for southside Hampton Roads. For days, it looked as if SE VA would be in the bulleye and the storm trended farther south about 24 hours out. The heaviest accumulations took place in the SE sections of Va Beach, particularly the Princess Anne and Pungo areas. Oceana Naval Airbase recorded 4" but, toword Norfok and Portsmouth, accumulations were generally around 1-2".

There were some pretty cold days late that month with only around 20F.

euro weeklies have a brutal west based -NAO for weeks 2,3, and 4 lowest heights anom. are in the mid atlantic. above normal dec. forecast are in big trouble :snowman:

Would be nice, however, if the pattern can pop a good snowstorm.

December 2000 was a very cold December, but only delivered about 2.0" for the entire month. We had a very disappointing start and finish to that month. December 2-3, 2000, I remember AKQ putting watches up for 6-8" across metro RIC while RDU and ORF were to get crushed. Then December 29-30th.....same thing, but a miss to the north.

The storm that hit OBX was in January 2003. I was a student at ODU at the time. Jon Cash was all over it, but the storm turned out to be a disappointment for southside Hampton Roads. For days, it looked as if SE VA would be in the bulleye and the storm trended farther south about 24 hours out. The heaviest accumulations took place in the SE sections of Va Beach, particularly the Princess Anne and Pungo areas. Oceana Naval Airbase recorded 4" but, toword Norfok and Portsmouth, accumulations were generally around 1-2".

There were some pretty cold days late that month with only around 20F.

I was actually living in that area at the time... I grew up in Princess Anne a few miles from Sandbridge right before you'd get into Pungo. It's unrecognizable now... super targets, super walmarts, and a shopping center on every corner it seems.

I was actually living in that area at the time... I grew up in Princess Anne a few miles from Sandbridge right before you'd get into Pungo. It's unrecognizable now... super targets, super walmarts, and a shopping center on every corner it seems.

We had a rare snow day at ODU. When I was going there, we were always the last to close and often just had delays while everyone else were closed.

I was living off Ferrell Parkway at the time and also worked part-time in the electronics section of the super-Walmart at Princess Anne and Lynnhaven Rds. :P

Archived