-
Posts
2,542 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Profiles
Blogs
Forums
American Weather
Media Demo
Store
Gallery
Everything posted by Tyler Penland
-
Tornado threat for AL/GA will be significant as well. Atlanta will be under the gun from both strong easterly winds and the tornado threat on Saturday. I wouldn't be surprised to see a moderate risk on Saturday for the area currently under a slight from the SPC if things hold serve.
-
2026-2027 Fall/Winter Mountain Thread
Tyler Penland replied to BlueRidgeFolklore's topic in Southeastern States
I mean you can see the trough shearing it off on the left side this morning. It's not just going to bulldoze into that, and even if the "center" does technically move I don't think it will matter much after landfall- going to be a rapidly expanding moisture envelope. My biggest concern about rain is coastal convection cutting us off. I've noticed a weak low type thing on the hurricane models and now the globals a little bit trying to pop off the SC/GA coast. Could cut moisture flow off some. -
2026-2027 Fall/Winter Mountain Thread
Tyler Penland replied to BlueRidgeFolklore's topic in Southeastern States
I've been looking for a late season analog that jumped NNW/NW after landfall and I haven't been able to find one. I think we see a slight eastward adjustment today to account for the trough coming in. -
Popping towers but definitely looks like its ingested some dry air over the past couple hours.
-
This morning's recon was having some data issues, wonder if they just missed it or the data was bad. If not Isaias we're about to see some big wind increases as winds catch up to that pressure drop.
-
Recon seems to be finding a broad center and 1002mb. 43kt FL. Looks prettier on satellite than it its strength would imply- still wouldn't be surprised to see it take off today.
-
2026-2027 Fall/Winter Mountain Thread
Tyler Penland replied to BlueRidgeFolklore's topic in Southeastern States
HWRF slams the escarpment on rainfall. A further east track sets up nearly perfect enhanced southeast flow. It bumps PWATs up to nearly 2" with 30-40kt southeast winds at 925mb. -
2026-2027 Fall/Winter Mountain Thread
Tyler Penland replied to BlueRidgeFolklore's topic in Southeastern States
We had our first 30s of the season at 39. Was 38 down on the river below me and 45 a few hundred yards up the hill. Wild how big a swing you can get with radiational cooling in the valleys this time of year. -
2026-2027 Fall/Winter Mountain Thread
Tyler Penland replied to BlueRidgeFolklore's topic in Southeastern States
Yeah the feast or famine rain over the summer did not help. A lot of what has changed around Grandfather has quickly gone dull and falling off fast. Sent from my Pixel 10 Pro using Tapatalk -
2026-2027 Fall/Winter Mountain Thread
Tyler Penland replied to BlueRidgeFolklore's topic in Southeastern States
Not that the GFS is terrible. This will probably take out what leaves have changed at higher elevations, not that they are particularly vibrant this year. -
2026-2027 Fall/Winter Mountain Thread
Tyler Penland replied to BlueRidgeFolklore's topic in Southeastern States
Euro is very bullish on rain with this one today. The frontal interaction will be interesting to say the least. -
2026-2027 Fall/Winter Mountain Thread
Tyler Penland replied to BlueRidgeFolklore's topic in Southeastern States
Weatherfront. Currently very cheap and available on desktop/apple/iphone all three. I've been enjoying it. Its pretty new and they're adding stuff all the time. Not as in depth as Weatherbell but a fraction of the price and I love the fact it is fully zoom-able to whatever region you want. https://www.weatherfront.com/ -
2026-2027 Fall/Winter Mountain Thread
Tyler Penland replied to BlueRidgeFolklore's topic in Southeastern States
Been pretty busy lately, but looks like we have our first fantasy NW flow storm on the GFS at 18z- first one I've noticed at least. Winter is definitely on the way. -
2026 Spring/Summer Mountain Thread
Tyler Penland replied to Buckethead's topic in Southeastern States
Blowing Rock got slammed last night. We had a mudslide out behind the mall took down quite a few trees and dumped a boatload of mud up against the building. ABC store flooded and Twigs might have taken some flooding as well (not positive). -
2026 Spring/Summer Mountain Thread
Tyler Penland replied to Buckethead's topic in Southeastern States
Side note: found this site recently. I may be behind the 8-ball and it's already well known around here but www.weatherfront.com is a newer model/radar site. I quite like it. Currently free as they are working on their Android rollout, already out on Iphone. -
2026 Spring/Summer Mountain Thread
Tyler Penland replied to Buckethead's topic in Southeastern States
Meant to pop on yesterday but we bottomed out at 52º. Super spectacular way to end July. -
2026 Spring/Summer Mountain Thread
Tyler Penland replied to Buckethead's topic in Southeastern States
It looks fake. Not saying there wasn't a funnel (there almost definitely was), but I doubt it looked like that. -
2026 Spring/Summer Mountain Thread
Tyler Penland replied to Buckethead's topic in Southeastern States
Saw a photo of what appeared to be a lowered mesocyclone from a drone shot in Asheville but hard to tell for sure not great quality. Sent from my Pixel 10 Pro using Tapatalk -
2026 Spring/Summer Mountain Thread
Tyler Penland replied to Buckethead's topic in Southeastern States
-
2026 Spring/Summer Mountain Thread
Tyler Penland replied to Buckethead's topic in Southeastern States
Aight one day of heat back and I'm already over it. Bring on fall/winter. Heading to the North Wilkesboro races this weekend and the trucks are at 12:30 on Saturday afternoon. -
2026 Spring/Summer Mountain Thread
Tyler Penland replied to Buckethead's topic in Southeastern States
My station made it to 90.5 this afternoon. As far as I can remember that's the first time I've ever recorded a high above 90 here at the house. Yesterday was 89.3. Sent from my Pixel 10 Pro using Tapatalk -
2026 Spring/Summer Mountain Thread
Tyler Penland replied to Buckethead's topic in Southeastern States
We managed to hit 42.1º this morning. Much cooler than I expected. The station right below me directly on the river hit 40.3º. Wild. I was hiking up at Grayson Highlands yesterday and it was in the mid-40s all evening. Definitely an odd, but very nice day out for early June. -
2026 Spring/Summer Mountain Thread
Tyler Penland replied to Buckethead's topic in Southeastern States
Only dropped to 35.6º last night. My wife's raised bed vegetables are thankful. -
2026 Spring/Summer Mountain Thread
Tyler Penland replied to Buckethead's topic in Southeastern States
Low of 31.6º this morning. Been enjoying the cool temps. Looks like finally some legitimate rain this weekend- we need some or spring flower season is going to suck. -
2026 Spring/Summer Mountain Thread
Tyler Penland replied to Buckethead's topic in Southeastern States
0.06" overnight- bottomed out at 37º this morning. Saw some reports of flurries around but never saw any myself here at the house.
